Drinking water

I am drinking water and have been drinking any where from 7-9 glasses for just over a week. I understand the value-my question dilemma...I work in healthcare and am struggling with using the restroom so often. I literally can go and 20 minutes later need to go again. Does it get better? Advice?
Thanks to all of you that are so wise...

Replies

• LanaeCarol
    LanaeCarol Posts: 158 Member
    Your body will adjust eventually. I now drink a minimum of a gallon a day and do not have that problem anymore. Just keep drinking the water and give your body time to adjust.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    You don't need to drink more than it takes to hydrate your body. There is no magical weight loss secret with drinking a lot of water other than if you are sloshing with water it may curb your hunger. You get a lot of fluid from the foods that you eat, an apple is 85% water for example.
  • Rum_Runner
    Rum_Runner Posts: 617 Member
    Yes - your body will adjust.
  • LB2LL
    LB2LL Posts: 240 Member
    I usually drink around 8 glasses a day. It could be more or less depending on my activity. I have the same bathroom issue. I have noticed that it does eventually stop, some days that doesn't hold true. I probably just have an incredibly small bladder ;)
  • Rum_Runner
    Rum_Runner Posts: 617 Member
    You don't need to drink more than it takes to hydrate your body. There is no magical weight loss secret with drinking a lot of water other than if you are sloshing with water it may curb your hunger. You get a lot of fluid from the foods that you eat, an apple is 85% water for example.

Kind of true - most people think they need to drink water when they feel thirsty. THat is already too late. Keeping hydrated means never letting your mouth go dry. An average person doing nothing all day and sitting in 65-75 degree temps all day can drink as little at 4 glasses and remain hydrated. However, not many people sit around doing absolutely nothign all day.
    While its not a magical weight loss secret - drinking water helps keep sodium levels down. Too much sodium will in fact cause an increase in the scale with water retention.
    We do get our water intake from many other foods and drinks. However many people drink soda (even diet), coffee and tea all which require more water intake. Hence why the general rule of thumb is to drink a minimum of 8 glasses on a normal day. Add exercise adn more water needs to be consumed.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    I am drinking water and have been drinking any where from 7-9 glasses for just over a week. I understand the value-my question dilemma...I work in healthcare and am struggling with using the restroom so often. I literally can go and 20 minutes later need to go again. Does it get better? Advice?
    Thanks to all of you that are so wise...

I don't agree with the "your body will get used to it" whole bit, at least that is not true for me personally, I will explain. I am the same way as you OP and after 5 years of drinking 8-11 cups a day I have never gotten used to it if I take big gulps. What I find that helps to slow the restroom breaks down considerably is to drink slower(consume less per drink) but more frequently so you can maintain your 7-9 glasses a day. It might work for you too.. I guess we got really good kidney's haha Good Luck!
  • I second what someone else said earlier - if I drink my water consistently, then I'm ok. I'm a nurse, too, and can't be in the bathroom all day. Usually I take my water bottle to work with me, and try to fill it four times (to equal a gallon) before 4 PM.
  • hdjjones
    hdjjones Posts: 130 Member
    I have a similar problem but in addition I take a diuretic to keep fluid from accumulating in my leg from Lymphadema. Plus I am over 60. You have my sympathy. I guess I don't really have a solution for you.
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    I second what someone else said earlier - if I drink my water consistently, then I'm ok. I'm a nurse, too, and can't be in the bathroom all day. Usually I take my water bottle to work with me, and try to fill it four times (to equal a gallon) before 4 PM.

Most hospital that have an infection control policy would not approve of staff eating or drinking in patient care areas; so for most nurses it's not feasible to drink small amounts consistently.

If I was working with someone who took a bathroom break every 20 minutes (or their employer) I'd be pissed.

Your body will adapt as much as your bladder can stretch but rally there's no reason to be drinking water excessively; rule of thumb: if your pee is clear light yellow, you're hydrated.
  • Most hospital that have an infection control policy would not approve of staff eating or drinking in patient care areas; so for most nurses it's not feasible to drink small amounts consistently.

You're right. Maybe I should have clarified that I'm not holding a water bottle in one hand while inserting a catheter with the other? :drinker:
  • cbinnd
    cbinnd Posts: 178 Member
    It also depends on the food your eating. If you eat lots of fruits and veggies and very little processed foods than you aren't going to need as much water because you're getting it thru your foods. That could make you need to go to the bathroom more frequently.
  • Lucyk00
    Lucyk00 Posts: 63 Member
    lol, y'all are crazy. I drink 100 oz a day and yes, my body has adjusted. At first I thought I was gonna float away after having to pee every 20 min. I feel 100% better when I drink all my water, I can tell a major difference in my weight, waist line and mood when I drink tons of water.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    drink less water?
  • Kimaw65
    Kimaw65 Posts: 74 Member
    let me just say that I have been drinking 7-10 glasses of water a day since October 14th and I'm still in the bathroom every 20 minutes. So if my body is going to adjust, it better adjust soon.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    let me just say that I have been drinking 7-10 glasses of water a day since October 14th and I'm still in the bathroom every 20 minutes. So if my body is going to adjust, it better adjust soon.

The water has to go somewhere...............
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    This could be just me but when I stop overly peeing I stop losing. I was glad this week when I started overly peeing again, weight down.:wink:

I have had jobs in the past where I could not pee and I would limit my water then I would get a bladder or worse a kidney infection. I do drink more at home than work without limiting it too much.:drinker:
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    I drink anywhere from 18-24 cups of water a day - I still use the bathroom a lot even though I've been at this for almost two years. You adjust to going to the bathroom a lot.
  • Malalu
    Malalu Posts: 39
    Well im drinking around 140-170 oz every day