treadmill vs bike

Options
I do 30 minutes on the treadmill at 3.8 mph and it says I used about 175 calories...BUT the same time on the bike at 17.5 mph is 500 calories. Is it the equipment or is it true? I am sweaty after both--but my thighs hurt more on the bike.

Replies

• kellygirl5538
    kellygirl5538 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    The bike doesn't sound right, I do spin class for 60 minutes and I burn around 500 calories and that is an intense workout. The treadmill seems right.
  • anirlz
    anirlz Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I agree, I used to use a heart monitor and you definately burn more on the treadmill compared to the bike. Did you try putting it into your exercise area on this site? I find that it is usually pretty close (within 20 or so calories). On average I have found that I burn about 100 calories every 10 min on either the treadmill or elliptical and that's with my heart rate at 70-80%.
  • hallswan
    Options
    I do know that you burn more calories from running than from biking - so I think your bike might be wrong - in my case I burn about 600 calories from a 45 min spin class - but I burn about the same from a 30min run

Where are you getting the calorie numbers from - the machine?
  • WombatC
    Options
    yes numbers are from the machine....I feel more worked out after the bike but I am still sweaty after the treadmill. The equipment is made by 2 different companies.

Thanks for the input
  • rogers8702
    rogers8702 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I disagree, i burn more calories on my bike than the treadmill. about 400 calories for 45 minute on bike, only 250 for 45 min treadmill and i run about the same pace as you 3.8mph.

**i could be wrong but that is what my HRM says.***
  • jclguru
    jclguru Posts: 123
    Options
    I disagree, i burn more calories on my bike than the treadmill. about 400 calories for 45 minute on bike, only 250 for 45 min treadmill and i run about the same pace as you 3.8mph.

**i could be wrong but that is what my HRM says.***

I'm with rogers8702. On my stationary bike for 30 minutes I'll burn close to 500 calories...this is doing a minute
    at 25mph a minute at 18, etc. So I'm going to burn a little bit more on my bike due to my heart rate going up and
    down.

On the days I keep my bike at about 18, I'll burn around 300 calories for that same 30 minutes (this is all based on
    a heart rate monitor).

My heart rate % is normally in the higher 70's to lower 80's (in the 90's when I'm pushing the 25+).

On the treadmill my heart rate % is in the high 60's to lower 70's, so I burn maybe half of that.

Doug