What are your macros set at?

Options
I have been logging now for 110 days. MFP automatically set my macros at 55% carb, 30% fat, and 15% protein. I am not really sure why the carbs are so high? Especially after reading so many forum posts about bad carbs. And why is protein the lowest? I have been doing some of my own researching the web, but I am just curious as to what everyone else's macros are set at and what are your weight loss goals? This may better help me gauge what mine should be.

MY goals are set at 1 lb weight loss per week and active, calorie goal of 1420. After looking at the weekly breakdown pie chart that MFP has, I am almost always 5-10% lower in the carbs, 5% higher in fat, and 2 - 5% higher in protein than what my goals suggest. Should I change my macros, lower carbs and increase protein? Or should I just continue to try to reach the goals that MFP suggests? Any constructive feedback would be great! Thanks so much.

Replies

• BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    40 carbs, 35 protein, 25 fat for myself..

I would change your macros to fit your lifestyle. (I see on your profile you started weight training, upping your protein will do great things with this)
    My best advice would be 1 gram of protein/per Lb. of lean body mass ... Fats should make up 20-30% of your diet and fill in the rest with carbs , I normally eat more carbs days I go to the gym and work all day compared to rest days and days I have off work.
  • BlairCottier
    BlairCottier Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Yes that is what I was thinking, increase the protein, especially on days that I lift. I see yours are much more balanced. I don't know why MFP suggested such a big number of carbs for me... Thanks!!
  • tackie8383
    tackie8383 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have mine set at 40 carbs, 30 protein, 30 fat. I'm new to this, so trying to get that much protein is a struggle for me. I might up it a little once I get the hang of it a little more.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    35% carbs, 35% protein, 30% fat.
  • testease
    testease Posts: 220
    Options
    40/40/20 because i feel like being a bro.
  • rosieg1979
    rosieg1979 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Carbs 40, protein/fat 30.
  • Carol_L
    Carol_L Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    40 Protein
    40 Fat
    20 Carbs
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I do 40/35/25 and that seems to work. I think you should figure out what you want for your protein, then just make carbs and fats however you prefer them.
  • krickeyuu
    krickeyuu Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Carbs 45%, Protein 25%, Fat 30%, Fiber 25g, Sodium 1600mg 1500 calories. I aim for 0.8 grams protein per lb of LBM which is about 100 lbs for me, so 80 grams protein. 0.5 grams fat per LBM so 50 grams fat.

I consider protein, fats and fiber a minimum, sodium a maximum. Carbs I don't really worry about as most of mine come from fruit, vegetables and whole grains.

I am looking into heavy lifting now, so I may be upping my protein to 1.0 gram per lb of LBM
  • jjltrader
    Options
    Protein 50%, Carbs 25% and Fat 25%.
  • liz827
    liz827 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I have mine set to 40/40/20 and this will be 2 on this. After my weigh in Friday, I'll see if I need to adjust or not.
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I've set mine at 40/30/30. I'm new to this, but those numbers kept popping up in all of my reading.
  • BlairCottier
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I am going to change mine to 40/30/30. That seems like it would work better for me and that seems to be about average for all of you guys too. I am seriously still baffled as to why it would automatically set me at 55 for carbs??? O-well, starting today with the new macros and will see how it goes from here!
  • BlairCottier
    Options
    I've set mine at 40/30/30. I'm new to this, but those numbers kept popping up in all of my reading.

Any suggestions to any links that explain this stuff? I have found a couple, but am still looking...
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options

Any suggestions to any links that explain this stuff? I have found a couple, but am still looking...
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition

want some great info ... ^^^
  • BlairCottier
    Options

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition

want some great info ... ^^^

Great thanks! I will be checking this out tonight!
  • DAMETRE
    DAMETRE Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have my Macros set at 40p/40f/20c

I eat 1400 cal. That puts me around 145g protien,67g fat and 70g carbs. Have tried other settings for my macros and this is what works for me. :-)
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    25c/55f/20p

buckin' the norm. I used to do 40/30/30, then realized I didn't need as much protein and that fat gives you significant long-term energy. love it.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Mine are 40/30/30 carbs/fat/protein because Dan told me to. :tongue:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912914-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013

Been working well for me for the past year!