Love In The Time of Cholera

Do you have a love story favorite that does it for you more than Florentino Ariza and Fermina Daza? Perhaps Heathcliff and Catherine? For me, the concept of unrequited love has always been an attention getter. Something about love unrealized has always been a favorite of mine...and I may never know why. Explain what about your favorite love story has impacted your own views on love.

Replies

• bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Ever read the book "forever"? A story of a man who chooses to live forever to be with the one who he loves. Amazing. Can you imagine living forever?
  • Well, maybe that is why I have always been enameled with the immortality of the Highlander. However, to outlive your loved one would not do either...
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Do you have a love story favorite that does it for you more than Florentino Ariza and Fermina Daza? Perhaps Heathcliff and Catherine? For me, the concept of unrequited love has always been an attention getter. Something about love unrealized has always been a favorite of mine...and I may never know why. Explain what about your favorite love story has impacted your own views on love.

This sounds like an essay question on a high school English exam.
    Just saying.
    Best story about unrequited love: Hunchback of Notre Dame (the book not the stupid movie). Anna Karenina is also a love story where so many things just go so wrong beacuse of love. And love stories ahve not ever effected my own views on love because they are stories for a reason.
  • RANT: Say what?!! Men aren't supposed to talk about love stories. Especially on the internet. 'Tis very unmanly to do so! :bigsmile:

Okay, my favorite "adventure" stories involve revenge. Top of the list is "Count of Monte Cristo." He goes back and gets the girl that was stolen from him by his traitorous best friend.

Next favorite is "Wuthering Heights." Way to go Heathcliff! Get the girl, and bankrupt the family that scorned you.

"All the Pretty Horses," though revenge wasn't sought and he doesn't get the girl. Sometimes you just don't. He'll be thinking about her the rest of his life. Great book!
  • Beatrice and Dante
  • Heathcliff never gets the girl...at least not in this world...
  • Heathcliff never gets the girl...at least not in this world...

She declares her love for him at the end. That's "getting the girl." It's just that they don't hook up until the afterlife :wink:
  • Well, maybe that is why I have always been enameled with the immortality of the Highlander. However, to outlive your loved one would not do either...

I have all The Highlander series VHS tapes and the DVD movies. That second movie was horrible! The first movie a true classic. I have to say that Duncan made the better Highlander than Connor.
  • pawnstarNate
    pawnstarNate Posts: 1,728 Member
    Ralph & Alice Kramden :p
  • I agree with you all around brother!
  • Ralph & Alice Kramden :p

"One of thes days Alice. Pow! Right in the kisser."
  • Duncan was great as the ultimate immortal but there was something to be said for the 1985 classic...after all, in the end, there can be only one...
  • Duncan was great as the ultimate immortal but there was something to be said for the 1985 classic...after all, in the end, there can be only one...

If it were real, what age at the latest, do you think he would have to unhook from his women (their age).

My favorite sidekick was Fitz (Roger Daltry) :bigsmile:
  • I am not sure I understand the question. Connor stayed with Heather until she died of old age. Come to think about it, both Connor and Duncan were with their women until they died...regardless of the causes.

Fitz was great as a sidekick...Amanda, on the other hand, fulfills a different kind o role...
  • I am not sure I understand the question. Connor stayed with Heather until she died of old age. Come to think about it, both Connor and Duncan were with their women until they died...regardless of the causes.

Fitz was great as a sidekick...Amanda, on the other hand, fulfills a different kind o role...

Connor stays with the first one (Heather) until she dies. I'm pretty sure after that he cycles through them. Recall the caretaker of the antique shop was a former lover that later becomes more of a mother to him while he's chasing the crazy girl, Roxanne.

Duncan seems to cycle through several of them.

Amanda! Wow! She was something else :laugh:

Anyways, my question is if such a thing were real, and one is frozen in time at age 33, what would be the appropriate age of the love interest to leave her? I would leave them while they are young so that they could recover and find someone else to finish out life with. Leaving them old, they become like the antique shop caretaker that Connor had.

The other approach I guess could be celibacy. I think Methos was celibate.
  • Well...the antique shop owner (Rachel) was not a former lover...she was actually someone he rescued as a child from the Holocaust and brought her up as his own. This was cut out of the original movie but was released in the 25th Anniversary DVD. That said, to come unhinged from a lover because of your immortality is a very subjective notion. Your supposition might work for one person but not another.

Methos was not celibate, he indicated that he had about five wives and don't forget the sick girl he tried to save by stealing the stone of immortality. He was deeply in love with her. And, remember, he was one of the Four Horsemen of The Apocalypse...he had his way with thousands of women at that time.

The bigger question is, how did Connor win the prize and yet the prize was still there to be won by Duncan et.al?
  • Well...the antique shop owner (Rachel) was not a former lover...she was actually someone he rescued as a child from the Holocaust and brought her up as his own. This was cut out of the original movie but was released in the 25th Anniversary DVD. That said, to come unhinged from a lover because of your immortality is a very subjective notion. Your supposition might work for one person but not another.

Methos was not celibate, he indicated that he had about five wives and don't forget the sick girl he tried to save by stealing the stone of immortality. He was deeply in love with her. And, remember, he was one of the Four Horsemen of The Apocalypse...he had his way with thousands of women at that time.

The bigger question is, how did Connor win the prize and yet the prize was still there to be won by Duncan et.al?

Hmmm. Interesting. I will have to watch it again. Yes, I do remember the rescue of Rachel (I have the 25th). But I think the narrative from the cut was that she went from daughter, to lover, to mother (yuck!).

"That said, to come unhinged from a lover because of your immortality is a very subjective notion. Your supposition might work for one person but not another." Yes, and this is the question.

The Connor prize versus Duncan prize puzzle? Dunno, but the movie and series were good entertainment. After "Pam's dream" anything is possible. I'm just waiting for Pam's dream to recur so that "Two and a Half Men" can get back to normal :laugh:
  • In the immortal words of Walter Cronkite..."and that's the news that was!"
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,644 Member
    Lucy and Schroeder.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Great book.

And I give you a play...

Berenice by Racine.

http://archive.org/stream/berenicetragedy00raciiala#page/n13/mode/2up
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member