No longer fun....

Options
When I started MFP, I found measuring food to be so much fun...but now it's not :(. I find it to be annoying at times :(. I've lost 67 pounds & I have 11 pounds to go until I reach my ideal body weight. I feel so close to my goal, and that should be motivation enough, but it doesn't make measuring food fun. IDK what the solution is. Part of me says wing it, but what if I'm off on my measurements and over eat?. I've been logging faithfully and honestly for 81 days...I lost 37 pounds before joining MFP (I had a baby :). Hmm

Replies

• AllergicToExercise
    AllergicToExercise Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    The whole thing becomes boring after a while but then how many tasks do we all do daily that are boring because they just have to be done? It's working for you, you've done great so far and only have a short way to go so I would say stick with it cos you'll soon be where you want to be. ????
  • JustANumber85
    JustANumber85 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    i dont really have advice- for me its just habit now.
  • Codefox
    Codefox Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I don't track my food for fun. I track it to be healthy. The task is boring but the results aren't.
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I am taking a break from counting everything. I mostly eat the same things cycled throughout the week so I have a great idea of what my portions are. If I find myself gaining I will go back to measuring.
  • enigma4u
    Options
    On the contrary, I like to log and see how much I can still eat. i have iPhone app and it has become very handy. Also I eat all the same healthy meals over and over again so you just need to check and add quantity. I would go blind on my weight loss if I didn't count calories.

You have come so far, now don't loose the momentum !! Good Luck
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I don't track my food for fun. I track it to be healthy. The task is boring but the results aren't.

100% agree with this! It can become very tedious and sometimes cumbersome, especially if you're in a hurry...but the results are loud and clear...and fun.
  • georgie304
    Options

This.

I saw a quote...

Essentially...

It isn't fun to have to diligently exercise and eat healthy.... and it isn't fun to be over weight and unhealthy... Which will you chose? (Not verbatim)

Stay the course, you will thank yourself for it!
  • just4nessa
    just4nessa Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh and measure food because it's fun, I do it because it helps me get to my goal. I sometimes get bored with it and tired of measuring and weighing every little thing, but it's what keeps me on track. Maybe mix it up a little by playing a mind-game with yourself; eyeball your portions before you weigh or measure to see how close you are.
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    Only measure two or three days a week,. That is how my diabetes doctor told me to keep control on my portions without measuring everything all the time..
  • _Katastrophic
    Options
    I dont measure anything
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options

Agreed! Paying bills isn't "fun" either, but it has to be done if I want to keep the electricity on...
  • rjcelmer
    rjcelmer Posts: 431 Member
    Options

Couldn't have said it better.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I very rarely weigh or measure my food. At first I did to be accurate but now I mostly eyeball and guesstimate. Think of it this way, as with the rest of the changes you've made, will you really be measuring and weighing your food for the rest of your life? Not likely... So it's better to lean the skill of eyeballing.

Here are some nice tips on measuraing and guesstimating:

http://www.mynetdiary.com/estimating-portions-for-food-diary.html
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    It was so fun in the beginning because you saw change faster. I would urge you to measure yourself now.. give it another couple of weeks and measure again. Maybe if you start seeing the small changes you will find it at least more tolerable.

Good luck! stay strong and stick with it. You are the only person that can make yourself succeed.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else eat out of the measuring cup?
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    If you think it will stop you from trying to achieve your goals, because you're fed up with the process.... take a few days off. Maybe a week. Then come back to it refreshed and ready to continue.

When I was on vacation earlier this year, I found it to be a royal pain to log everything. So I didn't for that week. When I got home, I felt very ready to get back at it.
  • mk_hammer
    Options
    I find weighing food to be much easier than measuring it (a lot fewer dirty dishes, too!). Just put whatever container you're going to eat out of on the scale, put the food on the scale, then track and eat the food. It's a quick in-between step (albeit a very important one). Accountability is key!
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I have suffered from the same problem of finding it boring to log everything. My solution...aside from dinners..I have usually have a 1 of 10 different breakfasts, 1 of 5 different lunches, and a wide variety of dinners. Snacks are usually pretty consistent as well. Although individual items from each meal exist, I turned them into recipes that I can add with 1 click.

Example:

1. Breakfast - Egg whites and turkey sausage
    2. Breakfast - Oatmeal
    Etc.

I started noticing that there are some consistent dinners and sides as well. So I did the same thing. I still don't enjoy inputting and tracking, but this makes it pretty easy and less tedious for me. I am still trying to convince myself this is just a way of life. Not working yet.
  • delacruz_courtney
    Options
    Thanks for the advice/ comments :). I suppose it doesn't have to be fun :/.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    man up