Should I get a George Foreman grill?

Options

Replies

• deviantcupcake
    deviantcupcake Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I love mine. Never had a problem cleaning it. Bit of elbow grease does the job.
    I use it for salmon and prawns, mostly. Mm!
  • libbymcbain
    libbymcbain Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    My husband loves it.

Me less so.

It's great for fattier things like burgers or sausages, but if you cook a lot of lean meats like steaks then they tend to stick.

It can be real b*tch to clean. It does take up a lot of space.

I have a cast iron griddle pan that I prefer.
  • nillapup
    nillapup Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I love ours...we use it for all things grillable.. chcken.. fish.. steaks.. bacon.. Also for those of you who do not like the cleaning process.. use tinfoil or parchment paper.. no clean up needed except the drip tray...Also for stick issues spary a little olive oil spray on it.. My husband just ordered an actifry for us for x-mas.. pretty excited about giving that thing a try.. ya...
  • ski0721
    ski0721 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Yes!! I love my George Foreman grill! Couldn't live without it!
  • allifantastical
    allifantastical Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I used to use mine all the time but my ex got it in the break up lol.

I plan on getting another one here soon. I suggest using foil on the top & bottom and it makes it so much easier to clean, just peel off the foil and you're done!
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Buy it!!!

We have the mini one with detachable plates since we live in a studio apartment (like, no counter space!) and use it several times a week. It cooks the unhealthy grease right out, is easy to clean up, and makes food taste delicious!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Huh??? Hard to clean???

Cleaning the Foreman is actually really easy. After cooking, just wet down a paper towel or two. While the grill is still hot, wipe it down with the wet towel(s). Everything comes off easily. If you wait too long, yes - it's more difficult. But it really only takes less than a minute to clean a hot grill.
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Baby George's are hard to clean because you can't take the grill plates off. The bigger models are much easier and I think much more usable.

I replaced my small model with a grill pan from Pampered Chef.
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    My recommendation if you are cooking for two and you aren't using it all the time... Go for it! If you plan on using it all the time and or you are cooking for several people then I would go with a two burner Lodge cast iron reversible grill/griddle... Really an awesome product for inside the house or while camping. Works for both eggs and steaks... and it stands up to abuse pretty well.
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I have a mid-size model, it has temperature control, my roommate has a small one and it doesn't

IMO the temperature control is needed, thicker items will burn and dry out on the outside without it. I often times cut my chicken in half and cook it in 2 pieces instead of one. I live in an apartment so an outdoor grill isn't an option. I LOVE my George. As far as cleanup, just take a sponge and wipe it down while its still wet, all the water/whatever comes off of it will just go into the drip pan.

Long story short, I would prefer a real grill, but htis one is a great alternative,
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I find that they are convenient and easy enough to clean.
  • kimi131
    kimi131 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Love it, but yes cleanup is a pain. It's a miracle I haven't given myself second-degree burns trying to clean the stupid thing. They have one now with plates you can take off. I want one!
  • slamb1020
    slamb1020 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Takes up a lot of space
    Kind of difficult to clean
    For me - it dries out whatever I'm cooking before it's thoroughly cooked (I don't have temp control)
    It doesn't have temp control, just off/on and a timer (on my model)

You can grill a whole lot if you have a big enough model
    There is a lot of grease in the tray afterwards
    little to no flipping of whatever you're cooking

BTW, if you try making a grilled cheese, it will be very flat, the cover is heavy... lol

I'm not sure if it's a good product or not, from my experiences, but a few tweaks of the one I have, and it would be perfect (I Need temp control!!!)

i agree.. i bought one bc i didnt have an actual grill.. and they are A PAIN IN THE BUTT TO CLEAN! LOl i would just get one of those cast iron skillits with the grill strips in them and use the stove top!
  • Car0lynnM
    Car0lynnM Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I would much rather clean my small George Foreman than my beast of a cast iron grill pan that weighs 400 pounds and scratches up my flat top stove.

Great idea to line it the Foreman with tin foil or parchment paper. I am so on that next time I use it.
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    kinda tough cleaning. i recommend a cast iron skillet
  • aloranger7708
    aloranger7708 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I have an individual sized one and it's great since I'm just cooking for one. But I'd have to agree with everyone else... cleaning it is a pain! Worse than a waffle maker. But I'll have to try that parchment paper trick!
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I have the one with the removable plates and it is so much easier to clean.

The only time I really use it is if it's too cold out and/or my husband doesn't feel like starting the grill. Just be aware that because it cooks both sides at the same time that it cooks very fast.
  • JustANumber85
    JustANumber85 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I went to the Goodwill today and found one for $3!!! Its the Model GR10ABW. (originally $50) The only thing missing was the tray that catches the fat, but ill just use w/e i have laying around.
  • BalenciaLynn
    BalenciaLynn Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I love my little griller, it allows me to make my dinner is under 15mins and they are so simple to clean.

Also mine on top said " the lean mean fat reducing griller machine " :laugh: