Ever Heard of ZERO Calorie Noodles?

Options
I just bought a product called Nooodles (note the extra "O"). It is made of water, yam flour and lime and boasts NO calories. I bought it through grocery delivery service and so when a bag of noodles came, floating in liquid, it is not appetizing. However, I thought i'd pass on the idea to you in case you can cleverly integrate it into your plan. The bag also directs to a website with recipe ideas. www.nooodles.com
Good luck!

Replies

• MDChin
    MDChin Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Yup, it was on the news. If you love eating cardboard then feel free to buy it, otherwise its a waste of money.
  • MSam1205
    MSam1205 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I buy then in my local grocer in the health food section. I really like them! You hve to rinse them realy well, but used in stir fry they're darn good! I don't understand the carboard taste statement, but it might have been the prep. I have also used them with meatsauce and cheese, and in soup.

I don't control myself very well when cook pasta, so I like knowing I can eat the entire package (2 servings) and not doing a lot of damage!
  • EvilShenanigansTX
    EvilShenanigansTX Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I love these noodles! Be sure to rinse then WELL, then I put them in the microwave for 3-4 minutes to get out the excess water. They take on the flavor of what they are cooked with, so be sure to use a flavorful sauce or dressing. They are a life saver for me. On nights when I have a handful of calories I use these noodles to bulk up my meals!
  • jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    You can also get them at a Chinese Grocery store and Whole Foods- there's lot of recipes on MFP- just search Shirataki Noodles
    I pay about 2.16 for a 16oz bag
  • plynn54
    plynn54 Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    how many carbs are in them?....sounds interesting :)
  • jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options

the brand I buy No Carbs JFC Brand
  • GettingFitToLIVE
    Options
    Where can you buy said "Nooodles"?
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    They sound like those tofu noodles that are in the produce section with the other tofu. They have to be rinsed reallllly well and have all the water squeezed out of them before you cook them, you even should pat them almost dry. But the calories are extremely low, not zero, but like 25 for a cup. Compared to 200 for regular pasta, that's worth it to me. Give the tofu noodles a try, you may like them.

Another swap you could try for pasta is broccoli slaw. Steam it in the microwave (or steamer) until it is good and tender and drain very well. I love it and since I am not good with controlling my pasta intake either, this works great for me. It's also much easier prep than the tofu noodles.

:smile:
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I looked at these but the fact lots of people on here said they smell fishy put me off!
  • triggsta
    triggsta Posts: 140
    Options
    I buy Miracle Noodles online (Amazon or through their website). Again, no calories, but also absolutely no taste.

You can also buy Shirataki noodles in your grocery store in the tofu section. They are 40 calories for 8oz and they have more taste to them (and more calories) but I use those as well. These in particular really fill me up, which is nice.

You need to remember to rinse the noodles off well before heating them up. I put them in a strainer and really get my hands in there to get any of the weird taste off.

Also, USE A SAUCE. Any potential weird taste disappears when you have something delicious to mask it!
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I like to put real food into my mouth, not fake laboratory stuff.
  • blueeylb
    blueeylb Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    hmmm intreasting i my have to check this out sometime????
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Ever heard of quacks like Dr. Oz pushing stuff that really does not help you in the long run.

Feed your machine.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options

Agreed.

If fake stuff worked we would not be a nation of fat people.
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    What is the nutrition stats for these noodles? I've heard of them, but wondered if you're actually getting anything either in terms of nutrition or even just substance to help fill you up, otherwise what's the point?
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    They have 0 kcals...just so you know. There are calories, but a serving, just like with things like spray butter, have calories. If a serving is less than 1 kcal, then it can be reported as 0 calories. So, for those of you who think you can now eat as much of this as you want, DON'T! On another note, I do like these and there are lots of fun ways to incorporate them into recipes. If you are looking for them and use them a lot, check out Miracle Noodles out on Amazon.com. They are better in my opinion than Nooodles. You can do Subscribe and Save and get a slight discount.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    My question would be why? If there are no calories, there is no nutritional value whatsoever...so what's the point? Food is fuel.
  • InfiniteEcho
    InfiniteEcho Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I bought 12 pkg lot of them before every trying them and I have to say they are the most DISGUSTING thing I have ever eaten! Zero calories or not they are like chewing earthworms! The texture is seriously an issue to be reckoned with...they 'pop' when you bite into them...only imagined to be like eating an earthworm! I'd rather dedicate the calories to a whole wheat pasta rather than trying to gag these disgusting noodles down.
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    They come in several shapes, rice, spaghetti, fettuccine, tube. Some with no calories, some with low calories. The low calorie ones usually contain tofu which is supposed to give them more pasta like texture. They are mostly nutritionally empty except for fiber.

Do not cook and eat them like you would normal pasta you will most likely not like them. They need to be thoroughly rinsed and then cooked. I like to dry fry them in a pan after rinsing. Some people microwave. Then I'll usually stir fry them in with something or bake them in the oven with some kind of sauce. I think the key is giving time for whatever your cooking them with to give them some flavor.

Many people go crazy low calorie with them, they'll use a low fat, low calorie sauce that would taste awe full with normal pasta, then they'll add a fat free cheese that barely melts and tastes awe full. They will have a 100 calorie portion and declare the noodles are awe full. Before declaring to the world that they taste like cardboard try that combination on some regular pasta.

I recommend cooking with some vegetables, zucchini, broccoli, mushrooms, whatever. Add your favorite meat then simmer in a good sauce on the stove top, alfredo, marina, or whatever it is that you like. then top with a good tasting cheese and bake in the oven. You can have a huge serving for the same calories as one of those tiny lean cuisine meals.

If you try my recommendation and still don't like them that's fine. My wife doesn't like them. She says they remind her of the texture of mushrooms. She doesn't like mushrooms. I'm not sure if chewy, rubbery, or slimy accurately describes them, I've hear all 3 of those. They are different. I don't think you can fool anybody into thinking it's real pasta but a lot of people enjoy eating them.
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Usually 1 per serving depending on brand.
    I looked at these but the fact lots of people on here said they smell fishy put me off!
    Only until you rinse them and it's not that strong.
    I bet less laboratory stuff than most frozen meals. 3 ingredients- soluble fiber from the root of a plant, water and a calcium additive.
    My question would be why? If there are no calories, there is no nutritional value whatsoever...so what's the point? Food is fuel.
    I think of them as filler or a food delivery vehicle. Sure I could just eat my meat and vegetables mixed with sauce covered with cheese but I like the texture of a pasta to go with them.