Talk about media being a big cosmic kill-joy!

Options
Short story: I'm a novice distance runner (love me some half marathons) and I work in an office in a moderate sized city where I do happen to run on my lunch breaks. Even looking at the titles of these articles, you'll see why my head is about to explode! D@mned if you do, and d@mned if you don't!!

Urban Jogging may be making you dumber (awesome headline, Men's Health!)
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/50109534/ns/health-mens_health/

Sitting for hours can shave years off of life - CNN
http://www.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/06/24/sitting.shorten.life/index.html

Marathons And Heart Health: Running Farther, Faster Could Shorten Your Life
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/06/marathons-heart-health_n_2245170.html

Excuse me while I go cry in the corner now.

Replies

• Leigh_b
    Leigh_b Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I guess it just sucks to be us :ohwell:
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    And eggs will kill you, and butter and peanut butter and meat. And coffee, and chocolate and wine.
  • katrwal
    katrwal Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    i just remember that, 20 years ago, there were a ton of articles and news stories about how eating lettuce could cause cancer in lab animals... turns out, yes, it could - if you ate the equivalent of 50 pounds of lettuce for each meal over the course of 5 years.

gotta love the way media spins all these items... for instance, the one about urban running making you dumber - they didn't actually perform a control test on any of the participants prior to administering the study - so as far as i'm concerned, that particular study is highly suspect...

kind of like the one saying more people die while exercising. they don't split out those who try to run 10 miles after being sedentary for 12 years and have an undiagnosed heart condition vs. Jim Fixx...

dry your tears and remember the wisdom of George Carlin: Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. :smokin:
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Here I've lost 30 lbs, started running (halfs are my longest thus far) but I sit at a desk most of my work day and I run in an urban setting. Looks like I've made ALL the wrong life choices!! LOL

I'll be out there tomorrow, on my lunch, putting in 4 miles before I plop my behind back at my desk. I'm gonna prove 'em all wrong and live to 100!!!
  • lessofme65
    lessofme65 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    You know what's good and what's working for you, just do what you feel works for you. These articles seem more like opinons to me and you know what they say about them. They're like *kitten*, everybody's got one.

You're doing awesome, I wish I could motivate to do half as much as you do on your lunch hour.
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I pretty much quit reading health-related "news" a few years ago when I was paging through a magazine. There was an article about the dangers of coffee and about 5 pages later, a little sidebar on another page about all the health benefits of coffee. Supposedly it raised the risks of getting diseases A, B, and C while lowering the risks of diseases D, E, and F. So, hmmm, which of these diseases did I want MORE?? I very much doubt coffee consumption is the main thing anyone should be looking at when trying to lower their disease risk anyway(i don't remember which ones were talked about but I want to say Alzheimers and diabetes were both mentioned in some context there), so the articles seemed a little pointless. I never know what exactly to do with this "information". Same thing (the back and forth) for years on red meat, eggs, now grains (EAT MORE OR YOU'LL DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIE, no wait, STOP EATING IT NOW OR YOU'LL DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIE!!!! :sad: ). And both sides always have a "peer-reviewed controlled study" of some kind or another that seems to support their views. Meh. I'm not anti-science, it's just that the scientific community is always changing its mind, so I'll just keep eating what I like.

Oh, and I'm a new runner too, and I'm gonna keep doing that too :bigsmile:
  • natesangel
    natesangel Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I pretty much quit reading health-related "news" a few years ago when I was paging through a magazine. There was an article about the dangers of coffee and about 5 pages later, a little sidebar on another page about all the health benefits of coffee. Supposedly it raised the risks of getting diseases A, B, and C while lowering the risks of diseases D, E, and F. So, hmmm, which of these diseases did I want MORE?? I very much doubt coffee consumption is the main thing anyone should be looking at when trying to lower their disease risk anyway(i don't remember which ones were talked about but I want to say Alzheimers and diabetes were both mentioned in some context there), so the articles seemed a little pointless. I never know what exactly to do with this "information". Same thing (the back and forth) for years on red meat, eggs, now grains (EAT MORE OR YOU'LL DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIE, no wait, STOP EATING IT NOW OR YOU'LL DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIE!!!! :sad: ). And both sides always have a "peer-reviewed controlled study" of some kind or another that seems to support their views. Meh. I'm not anti-science, it's just that the scientific community is always changing its mind, so I'll just keep eating what I like.

Oh, and I'm a new runner too, and I'm gonna keep doing that too :bigsmile:

this exactly!! i stopped watching the news for the same reason, all death and destruction and save to endangered 'whatever'! lol, media is there to make the bucks these days and ppl are drawn to train wrecks. my great grandma is 100 yrs old this year, she smoked, drank coffee, drank wine and was active every day she could (still is when she can!), she ate red meat and lots of it, coupled with a ton of veggies. i say look to the older generation and see what they did, factor in the added chemicals in our lives today and just stick with whatever you find working! for me, it's NOT reading this stuff anymore! lol, but i did get a good chuckle out of the ones you posted!
  • TommiEgan
    TommiEgan Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I get told everyday that everything I do is either bad for me or is going to kill me. Well bring it. I have been dying since the day I was born and 21 years later I am still here.
  • imoquenn
    imoquenn Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Tonight's top news: CAN LIVING LIFE KILL YOU? Full story at ten!
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Just remember that any study can be made to support which ever view you have by supporting with evidence that supports your view and ignoring the other view.