9-year-old loses 66 pounds

Options
Did you all see this story? http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/breanna-bond-9-loses-66-pounds-133918949--abc-news-health.html

This girl weighed 186 pounds by the time she was 9 years old! Her parents had her tested for all sorts of things, but everything came back fine and she kept gained weight. So they started walking as a family, she started doing an hour and 15 minutes on the treadmill every day, and the family started eating healthier.

What do you all think of this story? If I were the parents, I would be really worried about how to handle it without damaging her self-esteem. If handled wrong, it could set her up for a lifetime of an unhealthy relationship with food and with her own body - possibly even eating disorders. But it looks like they really handled it well by making changes as a family.

Replies

• AEFidgets
    Options
    Why did they let her reach 100lbs before Kindergarten. Can't blame anyone but the parents. A better way of eating and exercise should have been the first thing they tried. And their first Doctor sucked!
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Good on them for handling it well and dealing with it, but why did they wait until she was 9? If she were 100lbs at kindergarten surely the weight problem started very early on. How old is kindergarten, 4? My 3.5 year old son is 104cm tall and weighs 35lbs. If he started to have a weight issue I would deal with it now!
  • tonya_2010
    tonya_2010 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'm happy they helped her lose the weight. It's important to note that they made it a family effort to keep her from feeling down about herself.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    oops wrong post.
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I read about that story earlier. Regardless of who's fault it was that she gained so much weight, the main thing is her parents actively stuck through with the walking thing, and are on top of her weight issues now.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Dude, that makes my six hours of walking a week look pathetic. This 9 year old girl totally runs circles around me! Good for her!
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Sounds like she has some legit medical issues but you're right the Dr. sucked telling them that'll she'll just "grow into her weight"

It's good that the whole family is involved and good for them for changing it before middle school and high school
  • mtabh
    mtabh Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    That's great that they worked on it as a family. Wonder why they waited so long to address the diet and exercise issues? Everyone wants an easy out. I can't tell you how many overweight people I know that get tested for thyroid issues because they "can't" lose weight, when they have never successfully eaten healthy and exercised for an extended period of time. It takes years to put it on, it may take years to take it off.
  • cherbapp
    cherbapp Posts: 322
    Options
    Why did they let her reach 100lbs before Kindergarten. Can't blame anyone but the parents. A better way of eating and exercise should have been the first thing they tried. And their first Doctor sucked!

Thats like asking why did you let yourself get overweight?

Who cares how she got there! Kudos to the parents for helping this girl lose it. They obviously were concerned for years....and went with her...didn't just send her off to some program on her own. I love that story!