Paleo anyone (posted n other board, hardly any responses)

Options
Thought would post this here too due to lack of response on other board:

Hi All,

I have been watching my food intake for the past month and a half and recently started eating paleo. I have kept up with it for 8 days, and I was wondering what others thought of this method of eating? I am also concerned because it is low carb and once I start introducing some carbs back in (legumes, some whole wheat bread-although not anytime soon though), all the weight will come back and maybe more (MY BIGGEST FEAR OF ALL!)

Has anyone here been successful with paelo? What are people’s general thoughts on it? Have you started with paleo and then reintroduced some carbs back in while maintaining weight loss? I am on a lifestyle overhaul and I am just trying to figure out what works best with my body and what will help me reach my goal.

Side note: When I eat too much dairy or carbs I get really sick and have severe stomach issues, hence the reason for trying paleo.

Replies

• hopsonc24
    hopsonc24 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Warning: You will get a ton of paleo haters when you post outside of the paleo boards :)

I began the paleo lifestyle the first of July and havent looked back. Ok once or twice and severely paid the price!!
    For me it was an easy choice since I needed to cut out gluten and this was an easy way to do it. I havent added back carbs, beans or legumes bc of the negative effect it has on my well being. So I cant speak on what will happen when you do. A lot of ppl eat paleo/primal 80/20. I dont know how that effects their overal healthy or weight loss efforts either. Sorry, i am not a ton of help.

I have lost 43lbs since July 9th and havent felt better! I really can tell a difference, not only in my weight but also how I feel!

My advice to everyone is, if you cant see yourself eating like this for the rest of your life, it may not be the lifestyle change for you.
  • MsMouseMouse
    MsMouseMouse Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Yea, people are very set in their sometimes unhealthy life styles and think that what ever they are doing is what is right and everyone and everything else is wrong. It is true you can lose weight on low fat, low calorie diets.. people have for ages, but rarely does it stay off and you can certainly be thin and unhealthy at the same time.. I know I have been there. I have never eaten better in my life than eating Paleo. I don't have to count every single thing that goes into my mouth as most things are healthy and low in calories.. BONUS. So as I always say, please yourself and eat what ever you want, do what works best for you and leave the rest of us alone to do what is best for us.

Eating this way (no grains, no processed foods, no dairy, no legumes, no pasta, no sugars) is not for the purpose of losing weight.. that is just a very nice side affect. Eating this way is because this way is good for you, all of the above causes sickness and the cause of most people not feeling well and getting things like diabetes, cancer etc.. so why after you become healthy and maybe lose weight would you want to add those foods back into your diet even in small amounts? We have been brained washed into believing that we are not eating healthy with out all those things.
  • lawandfitness
    lawandfitness Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! Not looking to get confrontational, just some advice!

hopsonc24 - I definitely feel the effects of not eating bread/pasta/rice. I feel a lot better and I am not having as many digestive issues. I have more energy, and do not feel restricted what so ever in what I am eating (unless I get a bread/pasta craving) I do plan on trying to stay mostly paleo for the rest of my life (although I do intend on seeing my Dr. to ensure I am getting all the vitamins and nutrients my body requires)

MsMouseMouse- I agree! What works for 1 may not work for all! People have to do/eat what makes them happy; one person’s lifestyle may not be suited for the next, but to each their own!
  • 1primalwoman
    Options
    Hello, I have been eating paleo of and on for a few years now. It all started with a paleo challenge at crossfit and wow did a see results! But my lifestyle and circumstances where a bit different then so it was easier to get the results I got (actually had definition in my tum) but it was more than just to physical that changed, I felt better mentally and had way more energy. So over the last few years I have definitely made some permanent changes where I don't even have to think about it or miss the old stuffand even though I mostly eat paleo, with exception of cheese sometimes I still have to watch how much I eat. And it isn't always easy especially because I live with a non believer and my family doesn't understand and they pretty much have a house full of carbs, its hard to so no especially when your really hungry and you think just a few extra carbs won't do much harm. But its a slippery slope and you don't always just how much you are eating until your scales tell you! And your really bloated..it feels gross. It is my experience that once you go primal/paleo you can't go back, but why would you want to! They call it a lifestyle change for a reason, you have to keep it up for the rest of your life. That really just means being for mindful of what you eat everytime you eat. 80/20 is fine and it's probably what most of us do without even knowing anyway, but it can be to easy to go from that to 70/30 the 40/60. All im saying is it you go back to eating these carbs it can be really easy to get back into bad habits, eat to much and then before you know it the whats back plus some! They mess with your body and the cycle begins.

For example I have been doing so well and feeling so great not to mention my flat stomach finally and then I had some hot chips...just a few and then something sweet for dessert. Next day woke up feeling a bit blah, ate a big healthy brunch went for a walk, all good, but was a bit tired in afternoon so instead of having a nap I watched tv and ate mindlessly... few too many carbs. Anyways went away for the weeked to a wine and food festival (a one off weekend). Stayed at a friends place who had gone to the special effort of making a gluten free quiche which was actually just a potato dish, so I had some but not too much. Drank wine all day the next day but ate mostly healthy apart from one treat. Next day I was hungover and there was no paleo foods in the house so toast it was....the day just got worseand ended in hot chips and icecream which I haven't had in over 6 months. This is a really bad example because its not even healthy carbs but carbs is carbs and not only was I extremely bloated the scales have jumped up 2kgs, which I know is partly from the bloating but still its made me feel really crappy and just isn't worth it. More self control and determination needed, but easier said than done but lesson learnt but now it feels almost like starting over again but it's worth it and it's worth the extra effort until it becomes effortless.

Also marks daily apple is a great website to read for inspiration and help
  • HerbertNenenger
    HerbertNenenger Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    New to Paleo (7 weeks) looking for weight loss/fitness buddies that can inspire and help ! Not finding a lot of clean eaters out there! Female, 46 yo, 27 pounds lost, 80 to go.... any takers???
  • mahjohweeee
    mahjohweeee Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I've been trying paleo for about 10 days so far and I love it! I hope to continue to eat clean and do the 21 day sugar detox in the next few days. I would love to have some friends that I can follow their diaries for ideas and support. Feel free to add me! Thanks!!!
  • ronniiieee
    ronniiieee Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    ive been doing paleo since june and I love it. Would love to also follow some seasoned paleo diaries and get some more ideas on how to eat more.
  • pbrahan
    pbrahan Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    While I'm not exclusively Paleo by any means, I really enjoy every recipe in "Everyday Paleo" by Sarag Fragoso. I've also found that while choosing filling foods within my calorie goal, Paleo foods most naturally accomplish that while still being delicious! I just can't live without black beans, though, so I could never be exclusively Paleo.

Not that I'm overly religious, but my favorite passage has become Colossians 2:20-23: "Since you died with Christ to the basic principles of this world, why, as though you still belonged to it, do you submit to its rules:Do not handle! Do not taste! Do not touch!"? These are all destined to perish with use, because they are based on human commands and teachings. Such regulations indeed have an appearance of wisdom, with their self-imposed worship, their false humility and their harsh treatment of the body, but they lack any value in restraining sensual indulgence."

It just seems to sum up my struggle, journey, and newfound freedom related to weight & food.

Paula
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    I have nothing against paleo, I have a couple friends who practice it, but I just don't understand the theory behind it. Why is it better to eat like paleolithic humans? If someone could help me out, that'd be great. Good luck in all of your paleo endeavors
  • mirandaeaston
    Options
    That is a major problem with paleo being called a caveman diet. It not possible to eat that way anymore we don't live with the land following heards of wild game. But your body is wired for it and how we digest and use food is. Did you know 80% of the food in the markets today were not around 50 years ago with the testing being little to none. We have all become human lab rats I think this way of eating against the frankin food we are being sold and the companys that make them have a vested intrest in keeping this way of eating away from the public. It's just not profitable. I have done every diet you can name and this is the first time in 20 years I have felt like I was feeding my body and not just limiting this that or the other from my diet to lose weight. I plan to eat this way the rest of my life and keep learning more about the body and nutrition.
  • marystingley
    Options
    I have a question! I'm on my 8th day of the Paleo lifestyle and have lost 2 pounds. I was wondering though, can you eat as much as you want of the "allowed foods?" Thanks!!
  • rkasper22
    rkasper22 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    just my two cents worth? paleo is NOT low carb, necessarily. unless you want to. it's not as easy to eat as many carbs as you were, but it's not low carb by definition! check my logs. i eat tons of carbs (and tons of everything, really!).

i think you are thinking of paleo as a weight loss diet, and then you just go back to normal eating when you hit maintanence. you can do that, but it'd do you a big disservice. i think paleo is a strategy to see how food effects you, and just making wiser choices. so eat whatever you want, and don't worry about the label.

science is science. just eat what you need, what makes you feel good, and what you can afford, and live :)
  • mirandaeaston
    Options
    Main thing is desiding if you are eating just to eat or if you have true hunger. Your plate should be mostly vegies with a high quality meat small fruit and quality fat. If you eat and your still hungry in an hour have some fat then your next meal make it bigger try not to snack your body needs to rest between meals. It will take a few weeks for your body to trust that your are getting the good stuff. Don't eat fruit by itself can give you a sugar roller coster and incress your hunger. But give yourself time if you been eating very badly before it may take time for your body to heal.
  • erica_bunny
    Options
    Hello there,

I am also eating Paleo :) And to answer you questions...

Has anyone here been successful with paelo? Have you started with paleo and then reintroduced some carbs back in while maintaining weight loss?

* I have been successful. I started in January and lost 25 pounds by the end of March. I stopped Paleo from April-end of July due to some family troubles. During that time, I gained 6 pounds back, but that's pretty good considering I was eating fast-food practically twice a day during those months.

What are people’s general thoughts on it?

*I love it. It makes me feel 100% better and it's pretty easy to do. Since starting again two weeks ago, I've cheated here and there, but many people do Paleo differently. I use it as a guideline and do my very very best.

Feel free to friend me :) and good luck
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    If you posted in Paleo/Primal boards and I missed it, I'm sorry. If I see your post there I will respond. Or message me. My diary is open to everyone if you are curious. I was ketogenic Primal for a year, but am now keto Paleo. I agree that the labels are a bit silly, but it's the easiest way to explain one's lifestyle. BTW, it's not a temporary thing for me; I will eat in a similar way for the rest of my life. Perhaps with a few more carbs once my metabolic issues are resolved.

I've had it with sharing my experience in detail in the general forums. So, to sum it up, I have had huge health improvements and you can see below how much weight that I have lost (without being hungry and without struggling at all).
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    I'd like a little more info about this Paleo thing. Maybe a book I can get at the library. Thanks. PM me
  • uboom
    uboom Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Paleo is not Low Carb.... You should be getting plenty of carbs from fruits and veggies. I eat Paleo and I'm and no where near low carb. I'm an avid cyclist and if I eat to little carbs, my performance on the bike drops. I would also add for long term health eat Paleo and choose foods that are nutritionally dense.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    Yea, people are very set in their sometimes unhealthy life styles and think that what ever they are doing is what is right and everyone and everything else is wrong. It is true you can lose weight on low fat, low calorie diets.. people have for ages, but rarely does it stay off and you can certainly be thin and unhealthy at the same time.. I know I have been there. I have never eaten better in my life than eating Paleo. I don't have to count every single thing that goes into my mouth as most things are healthy and low in calories.. BONUS. So as I always say, please yourself and eat what ever you want, do what works best for you and leave the rest of us alone to do what is best for us.

Eating this way (no grains, no processed foods, no dairy, no legumes, no pasta, no sugars) is not for the purpose of losing weight.. that is just a very nice side affect. Eating this way is because this way is good for you, all of the above causes sickness and the cause of most people not feeling well and getting things like diabetes, cancer etc.. so why after you become healthy and maybe lose weight would you want to add those foods back into your diet even in small amounts? We have been brained washed into believing that we are not eating healthy with out all those things.

LOL I too refer to the weight loss as a "very nice side effect" all the time! I finally was able to permanently change my lifestyle when it all became about my health and not the number on the scale. Weight loss is indeed an effortless side effect of a consistent Paleo lifestyle.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    Paleo is not Low Carb.... You should be getting plenty of carbs from fruits and veggies. I eat Paleo and I'm and no where near low carb. I'm an avid cyclist and if I eat to little carbs, my performance on the bike drops. I would also add for long term health eat Paleo and choose foods that are nutritionally dense.

Paleo certainly does not have to be low carb, but usually is a lot lower than SAD, which is good. However, not everyone is a "avid cyclist" as yourself and many people have metabolic syndrome (excess fat storage, diabetes, depressiong, BED, etc). People who have certain common ailments would do well to start with a ketogenic version of Paleo. Not everyone should be getting lots of fruit and I even limit vegetables to a point which is something I do specific to my own needs. I would argue that nutrient dense foods are usually from animals and high in fat and protein.

So, I agree that Paleo is not low carb per se, but can be and may make life easier and healthier for certain people. My Inuit neighbours lived for generations on almost all fat and meat (keeping in mind that Inuit ate ALL of the animal). They did not have disease prior to the very recent dietary change to a sugar/wheat based diet. However, life was indeed more difficult in other ways. So fruit and veggies are great but not needed in huge amounts.
  • uboom
    uboom Posts: 69 Member
    Options

Paleo certainly does not have to be low carb, but usually is a lot lower than SAD, which is good. However, not everyone is a "avid cyclist" as yourself and many people have metabolic syndrome (excess fat storage, diabetes, depressiong, BED, etc). People who have certain common ailments would do well to start with a ketogenic version of Paleo. Not everyone should be getting lots of fruit and I even limit vegetables to a point which is something I do specific to my own needs. I would argue that nutrient dense foods are usually from animals and high in fat and protein.

So, I agree that Paleo is not low carb per se, but can be and may make life easier and healthier for certain people. My Inuit neighbours lived for generations on almost all fat and meat (keeping in mind that Inuit ate ALL of the animal). They did not have disease prior to the very recent dietary change to a sugar/wheat based diet. However, life was indeed more difficult in other ways. So fruit and veggies are great but not needed in huge amounts.

Paleo is lower carb then SAD when you eleminate all the added sugars, but still not Keto low carb. SAD is the cause of most modern ailments with food that is highly addictive (high profit margins), high in processed sugar, saturated fat, and sodium. If it wasn't for our excellent health care system there would be lots of deaths.

Meat and Fat are not nutritionally dense. They are energy dense, but not loaded with Viatamins and minerals. Veggies and Fruit are nutritionally dense.

I see by your diet that you eat mostly fat. I would refer you to Robb Wolfe or Dr Cordain's who developed Paleo and they recommend eating Lean proteins. Your diet follows some of the Paelo guidelines, but not all. I would call your eating style more Atkins then Paelo. I hope you take a viatmin supplement of some sort with that diet style.

Just a reminder that your Inuit neighbor never lived past 30. It wasn't till farming made fruits and veggies more available that lifespans started increasing.

Paelo is simple. The food you eat should be able to hunt or gather it in nature. Stay away from processed foods and eat lean meats, fruits, veggies, nuts, and seeds.