That Awkward Moment When...

Options
Shayztar
Shayztar Posts: 415 Member

You realize that the Walmart in you local mall doesn't have a family bathroom to fit you, your double stroller, two kids, and a whack-load of gifts, so you are forced to go to the standard bathrooms instead. Just as you head into the only handicap stall, you feel lasers boring into the back of your head. When you turn to look, there’s an old lady with a walker staring at you. “Oh my goodness! I’m so sorry! Please, you go first.” “Oh no, sweetie, you go ahead.” “No, ma’am. We’re all going to take a turn. Please go first.” “Oh, in that case, thank you very much.” “No problem, I’m so sorry.” “I understand, look at the size of that stroller!”

You are standing in front of a handicap stall in an empty bathroom listening to an old lady do her business. You decide to walk towards the entrance to change a diaper on the change table instead. Just then, the whole bathroom fills up with people. After the last stall is filled, a very large woman walks in wearing a very faded and worn pair of pyjamas. She walks to the back and tries the handle of the handicap stall. She’s not disabled, she doesn't even have a cane. She’s just big, but no where near the biggest you've seen (and/or loved). At this point, your bladder is reaching critical mass from the free refills provided by McDonald's. You get her attention, “Excuse me. I’m next in line for the handicap washroom.” She simply says, “Oh” and steps back. You say “I’m really sorry, but there’s nothing else I can do. I can’t leave them alone while I go. I need the stall for their safety.” But she won’t make eye contact, she just stares at the floor. The old lady is out next, so you maneuver your double stroller around the large woman and past the old lady and into the stall and shut the door.

You’re peeing and then you’re daughter is peeing and you realize that maybe you’re a total b*tch because WHAT IF she was only trying the door to the handicap stall because all of the rest of the stalls were being used? WHAT IF you come out and she’s in one of the other stalls and you just assumed she wanted the bigger bathroom because of her size? WHAT IF she wouldn't meet your gaze because you should be ashamed for making her feel badly? Or worse yet, WHAT IF she wants to use the handicap stall because of her size and you inadvertently pointed it out to her.

You come out of the stall two pees later and she’s still standing there waiting for the stall, even tho the rest of the stalls are empty. “Thank you, I'm really sorry again.” you say. Still no comment from her, still no eye contact. Just a kind of sad expression on her face.

Is there something I should have done differently?

And is being large considered a disability? I gave my "turn" away to a lady with a walker, but not a large lady.

What are your thoughts?

Replies

• gwengogreen1
    gwengogreen1 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    tha awkward moment when i am commenting even though i didn't read your whole post.
  • eatcleanNtraindirty
    Options
    You're good. *kitten* happens (haha) the lady had to wait just as you did. No biggie. Her day wasn't ruined because a woman who is by herself with a bunch of kids had to use the handicap stall and was very polite about doing so.
  • joecollins9385
    joecollins9385 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    that awkward moment when...

you realize you are over analyzing bathroom etiquette
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I really don't get it when women use the handicap stall unless they really need it (i.e. actually disabled/kids/what have you). Especially if its busy. Like if the bathroom is empy and you wanna have some space go for it, but when there's other people? You did the right thing.
  • clydethecat
    clydethecat Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    you didnt do anything wrong, you were next, end of story. you cant put emotions on someone. she may have been sad, or she may have been annoyed, she may just have needed to pee really bad. i dont think there was anything you should have done differently.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    You handled the situation just fine. You were next in line, and the handicapped stall is specifically for people who need the extra space and handrails because of a problem like being in a wheelchair. And honestly, if the situation (NOT you, it's not like you called her a fata$$ or were rude in any way) made her assess her weight, maybe she'll be motivated to do something about it - that's never a bad thing.
  • Countryboy_
    Options
    I am really glad that your life is so stress free that this is what you worry about. Damn, that would be about number 217 on my list. You needed the stall, she didn't. She could have shopped the rest of the day in her dirty pee-pee pants for all I would have cared. Don't feel bad about this.....please.
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    It's fine. You weren't rude and you gave her a reason why you needed the bathroom. Maybe she didn't want to make friends in the bathroom. Move on with your day!
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    BAH
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    that awkward moment when...

you realize you are over analyzing bathroom etiquette

Especially at someplace like Walmart where people don't even believe in flushing the stool after use. :sick:
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    BAH

Care to add anything useful to this conversation, or do you just go around not being helpful everywhere?
  • RubyRed8067
    Options
    That awkward moment when you realizes you've just read a completely absurd and inane post on MFP.

:huh:
  • cubizzle
    cubizzle Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    BAH

Care to add anything useful to this conversation, or do you just go around not being helpful everywhere?

ERMYGERD!!!! CRANKY IZ SO AWEEEESOME......HOW DARE U?!?!?!!
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    That awkward moment when you realizes you've just read a completely absurd and inane post on MFP.

too often to be awkward...the useful or heartfelt ones are the awkward posts...
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    BAH

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options

Or that awkward moment when you started a thread and got spanked for it. :flowerforyou:
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    BAH

:angry:
  • qbdeal1
    qbdeal1 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    That awkward moment when i am mid wipe and i sneeze
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    I think you handled it just fine. Try to let it go and move on with your life.
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    That awkward moment when i am mid wipe and i sneeze

Or.....when you sneeze and piss yourself a little. Dammit, that is the worst. :ohwell: