Dumb Lifting/ after Injury Question

Options
I think I'm going to lift tonight for the first time since I injured my back...anything I should avoid? It was a thoracic/lumbar muscle strain. I'm thinking maybe deadlifts and squats are out, but my curls/overhead prest/chest fly/rows are OK?

My doc just said give it two weeks before lifting anything heavy, but I thought I'd ask MFP's opinion from more experienced lifters than myself.

Replies

• JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    LISTEN TO YOUR DOCTOR.

Seriously. The last thing you want to do is aggregate the condition more and end up really injuring yourself.
  • alvalaurie
    alvalaurie Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    LISTEN TO YOUR DOCTOR.

Seriously. The last thing you want to do is aggregate the condition more and end up really injuring yourself.

^^^ This! Please listen to your Dr. If he/she said no heavy lifting, then follow his orders precisely.
  • wildcata77
    Options
    LISTEN TO YOUR DOCTOR.

^^^ This! Please listen to your Dr. If he/she said no heavy lifting, then follow his orders precisely.

Sorry, I don't think I was clear!

The doctor told me to wait two weeks, and it's been 2.5.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Its your back. I dont know your pain nor the extent of your injury. Warm up, start with lighter than usual weights, avoid momentum. Basically, use common sense.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    LISTEN TO YOUR DOCTOR.

My doctor says OHP is stupid and bad for the shoulders...I hope he doesn't catch me doing them one day at lunch...
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    LISTEN TO YOUR DOCTOR.

My doctor says OHP is stupid and bad for the shoulders...I hope he doesn't catch me doing them one day at lunch...

I've never heard this. Behind the neck, sure, but not overhead. I do both anyway