Good Post-Workout Snack: Lowfat Chocolate Milk?

Options

Replies

• sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Sure. Why not? If it fits in your calorie/macro goals and you enjoy it, knock yourself out.
  • cls_333
    cls_333 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Milk really fills me up & satisfies me, and is a great after work-out drink. It's really cold here, so I have a hot chocolate after most runs with some peppermint marshmallows. Can't beat it! And then I'm much less hungry for dinner.
  • rsr3vo
    Options
    Chocolate milk would be pretty good post workout, but i'd stick with the low fat version. I guess for a quick post workout drink, it's fine but I wouldn't make it a full "post workout meal" per say. I wrote an article on post workout nutrition here if you're interested: http://www.getmusclelosefat.com/supplements/best-post-workout-supplements/

Only reason is because post workout your body is looking to replace the glycogen you used up in your workout, and the sugar in the chocolate milk will replace that. Maybe as an emergency, and then go home and have a proper meal. I'd rather just have some whey + creatine + carbs from pasta/rice/etc instead though.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Here's what nutrition/training guru Alan Aragon has to say about the subject (the article is a comparison of chocolate milk vs. Surge recovery drink, but he explains the benefits of chocolate milk pretty thoroughly):

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/an-objective-comparison-of-chocolate-milk-and-surge-recovery.html
  • 75in2013
    75in2013 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Chocolate milk is an awesome post-workout/recovery drink.

Good article.
  • The reason that its effective its because of how all the ingredients are combined. For example, it has a nearly perfect, protein to carb ratio. The reason your trainer almost had a heart attack, and I see this even more with people that do the whole 20 min cardio session followed by chest, or back, or whatever. But, lets say they had to wake up at 4 am, go on a 12 mile hike w/ a 55lb ruck at 4-4.5mph, come back, get in the pool and get completely thrashed for a couple of hours, and then run EVERYWHERE with combat boots, I guarantee you they would have a different opinion about drinking chocolate milk post workout. Like you mentioned, and I dont think its useful for a simple day-to-day supplement, its meant to be used with extremely intense routines that are meant to break your soul. Honestly, I have only seen people in my line of work take advantage of this. But your regular every day person should not be drinking chocolate milk. Good luck.
  • sjohnny
    Options
    The reason that its effective its because of how all the ingredients are combined. For example, it has a nearly perfect, protein to carb ratio. The reason your trainer almost had a heart attack, and I see this even more with people that do the whole 20 min cardio session followed by chest, or back, or whatever. But, lets say they had to wake up at 4 am, go on a 12 mile hike w/ a 55lb ruck at 4-4.5mph, come back, get in the pool and get completely thrashed for a couple of hours, and then run EVERYWHERE with combat boots, I guarantee you they would have a different opinion about drinking chocolate milk post workout. Like you mentioned, and I dont think its useful for a simple day-to-day supplement, its meant to be used with extremely intense routines that are meant to break your soul. Honestly, I have only seen people in my line of work take advantage of this. But your regular every day person should not be drinking chocolate milk. Good luck.

So only Navy Seals are hard enough to handle the awesome power that is contained in a vessel of chocolate milk.........

Okay then.
  • I am not saying that, I'm just going off what I've experienced, simply put, "I" would not chocolate milk on a regular basis. I was just giving a bit of background.
  • grawrrrr
    grawrrrr Posts: 336
    Options
    I am not saying that, I'm just going off what I've experienced, simply put, "I" would not chocolate milk on a regular basis. I was just giving a bit of background.

I love that chocolate milk is a verb here! XD

I think I'm going to stick with it on occasion. As I've said before, I normally grab a protein shake or bar with a fruit if I need an extra boost. ^_^
  • sjohnny
    Options
    I am not saying that, I'm just going off what I've experienced, simply put, "I" would not chocolate milk on a regular basis. I was just giving a bit of background.

That's what this
    its meant to be used with extremely intense routines that are meant to break your soul. Honestly, I have only seen people in my line of work take advantage of this.
    sounds like.
    "I'm the only one around here who works out hard enough to drink chocolate milk."
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    It's a fine whenever if you ask me, I've found that nutrient timing isn't as important as people make it out to be. Research (http://www.jssm.org/vol9/n3/1/v9n3-1pdf.pdf, page 4) shows that the magical "post-workout window" actually lasts about 24 hours instead of 30 minutes-1hour-2hours or whatever number people will tell you. Muscle atrophy and catabolism also don't occur overnight so I don't really see the why people take casein before bed.

Hope this helps a little
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I've heard several things about lowfat chocolate milk being a good post-workout snack. This is one of the main articles I found:

http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/recipes/healthy-eating/superfoods/chocolate-milk-after-workout/

Then again, I noticed that it's normally for bodybuilder-types or people who do very INTENSE exercise on a regular basis. I wouldn't choose chocolate milk NORMALLY, but I was out and about and having a serious sugar crash. I had burned off my calories for the morning PLUS some.

After I exercise, I will normally have a protein shake or bar. Today, I just decided to go with chocolate milk. One of the various trainers at my gym saw me with it and nearly had a heart attack. She pointed out how many sugars were in it and told me that milk was never good after a workout. She tried to push the gym-approved protein shake onto me.

My milk had 16g of protein per 2 cups, 300 calories, and I think like 20-25g of sugar.
    The protein shake had like...40g of protein per 2 1/2 cups, 310 calories and 0g of sugar.

I stuck with my chocolate milk and felt satisfied.

What are your opinions on this matter?

Milk is for baby mammals and you don't look like a baby mammal. Avoid if you care about your health
  • sjohnny
    Options
    I've heard several things about lowfat chocolate milk being a good post-workout snack. This is one of the main articles I found:

http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/recipes/healthy-eating/superfoods/chocolate-milk-after-workout/

Then again, I noticed that it's normally for bodybuilder-types or people who do very INTENSE exercise on a regular basis. I wouldn't choose chocolate milk NORMALLY, but I was out and about and having a serious sugar crash. I had burned off my calories for the morning PLUS some.

After I exercise, I will normally have a protein shake or bar. Today, I just decided to go with chocolate milk. One of the various trainers at my gym saw me with it and nearly had a heart attack. She pointed out how many sugars were in it and told me that milk was never good after a workout. She tried to push the gym-approved protein shake onto me.

My milk had 16g of protein per 2 cups, 300 calories, and I think like 20-25g of sugar.
    The protein shake had like...40g of protein per 2 1/2 cups, 310 calories and 0g of sugar.

Milk is for baby mammals and you don't look like a baby mammal. Avoid if you care about your health

So is chocolate milk for baby chocolate mammals? Or chocolate baby mammals?
  • ourglasswalls
    ourglasswalls Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist recommended it for after long workout. If I burn 300+ calories I get chocolate milk! :) The fat and protein help build back my muscles.
  • Acg67
    Options

Chocolate milk is unnatural and thus should be avoided. Unless there are chocolate milk producing cows i'm unaware of
  • sjohnny
    Options

Chocolate milk is unnatural and thus should be avoided. Unless there are chocolate milk producing cows i'm unaware of

If I could find said chocolate milk producing cows would their milk grow my calves into 1000 pound chocolate steers? Because I think it would look awesome to have massive two-toned legs.
  • Acg67
    Options

If I could find said chocolate milk producing cows would their milk grow my calves into 1000 pound chocolate steers? Because I think it would look awesome to have massive two-toned legs.

Might just make you fat and sick, chocolate has sugar in it and sugar is the root cause of the obesity epidemic
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Pretty much the majority of what anybody eats isn't naturally occurring anymore nowadays. I don't see loaves of bread growing from the ground but doesn't mean I'm going to avoid sandwiches for the rest of my life.
  • sjohnny
    Options

Might just make you fat and sick, chocolate has sugar in it and sugar is the root cause of the obesity epidemic

It would be worth it if I could have two-toned legs.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options

So which food did evolve specifically for adult humans to eat? Eggs, honey, seeds? Or were those intended to nourish chicken embroys, bees and seedling plants respectively?