What do you do to keep from eating?

Options
I find I eat when I am bored, stressed, angry, irritated...basically all the time. I was diagnosed with depression awhile back so when I get into a really bad mood I eat. I'm trying to think of things I can do to keep my mind off of eating. The times I tend to eat the most are in the afternoons when my daughter is napping, and after she is in bed, but I also tend to eat when she is awake and I am bored or in a bad mood. I love to take hot bubble baths with candles while watching movies on my laptop, which I can easily do at naptime or after she's in bed but I need an idea for when she is awake and I can't just take a bath lol. I really need ideas if I am going to kick this nasty habit I've gotten into. Thanks!

Replies

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Protein. Water.
    Log everything.

Try it.
  • ZozoMonster
    ZozoMonster Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Get a hobby :) Learn to knit for when you're bored... Buy a punchbag for when you're angry... Take up painting, jewellery making, photography... anything to take your mind off food :)
  • djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    drink water chew gum
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    agree w/ above and I have lots of inner dialogue. Trying to determine why I want to eat. If i'm hungry...etc
  • angelicasmommy
    angelicasmommy Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Protein. Water.
    Log everything.

Try it.

Have done that, but thanks anyways...I lost 75 lbs in a year by doing that but eventually started binge eating.
  • cwashkowiak
    cwashkowiak Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Laundry!
  • AyaKara
    AyaKara Posts: 220
    Options
    I eat 5-6 small meals a day! Fill up on protein with powder if you need to, & always drink water. Never stop logging!

I complete something productive, such as, 'I'll finish this assignment', or, 'I'll finish my workout first'. Sometimes it's simple as, 'I'll clean the house & feed my cats!' It gets work done, & keeps me in my goals.

Lastly, eat low-density cals such as veggies to keep below your daily goal before your final meal! :flowerforyou:
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    This may sound counter intuitive... I eat to avoid eating... I plan six small meals per day and there is no time really to do extra grazing in between. It helps with satiation and having planned out the whole day I can pull a quick substitution and not be over...
  • NiSan12
    NiSan12 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    To keep from eating I:

Read books
    Watch TV
    Clean house
    Work on puzzles
    Get on Internet
    Talk on phone

Anything to get my mind off of it.

Logging meals on MFP really helps too!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Crafts - can't eat when your hands are covered in glue, paint, ink, glitter, whatever.... Plus you don't want to get food on your creation.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options
    Brush teeth or chew minty gum, drink water, go somewhere where there is no food available (the park or something).
  • PurrfumeGIrl
    PurrfumeGIrl Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    First off make sure you're eating enough good quality food. If it is truly boredom, chances are it will pass if you distract yourself.

I'd start off with a glass of water. If that doesn't fill you up, look for other things to take your mind off it until it passes.

Things that work as practical distractions for me: housecleaning (everything from dusting to mopping floors), going for a long/short walk, calling a friend on the phone to chat, throw on a yoga or workout DVD, find a new healthy recipe, and find a hobby.
  • littlewhittles
    littlewhittles Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I find it really helpful to spend more time on this site! It keeps me focused, and connected, and motivated. :)
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Play videogames. Far Cry 3 is kicking it for me right now.

Basically, doing any task that fully absorbs your attention would help keep your mind off food, I tihnk!
  • angelicasmommy
    angelicasmommy Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas guys...gonna try some of these!
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Drink some water (if you think you're hungry, you might really be thirsty).
    Find a hobby or some errand around the house. You can't eat and work at the same time (especially if the hobby involves work with the hands, like gardening).
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Seems from your first post that a lot of your binges are due to bad moods, stress, irritation-or exacerbated by these? You mentioned you were diagnosed with depression-have you or are you being treated for that? You've got your hands full with a little one running around, if you aren't getting good treatment for the depression, the stress, bad moods, irritation will likely be more frequent (and more intense). I don't know your history and many of us are boredom-bingers, but if you're not getting good treatment for the depression, it might be something to think about.
  • spatrick62
    Options
    get a notebook and write about what you want to eat or why you feel like eating before you put anything in your mouth. will help you connect why you are binging and help to break the habit of turning to food.
  • sandobr1
    sandobr1 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Hobbies, scrapbooking, cross stitching, crochet, knit, quilting, I have loads of craft projects, of course I sell handmade for a living so it is part of my life. My latest crafting addiction is kanzashi flower making. If you can thread a needle you can do lots of things with your hands. And if you have a small child inpsiration for making cute crafty things is unlimited. Of course I do all this and still found a way to gain loads of weight, but if you need to fill a void creativity is a great outlet.