Every time I run it hurts my knees.

Options
124»

Replies

• jaygreen55
    jaygreen55 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Instead of running at 6 mph you might try walking at 3.5- 4 mph at a 6-10 percent incline. The workload will be similar without the high impact of running. Just make sure you adequately stretch your hamstrings afterward to avoid tightening your lower back. I had the same problem and now my knees no longer hurt
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    You should never use a treadmill at 0 incline, it is not natural and bad for the legs. Always have the treadmills incline set to 1.0
    This applies to everything and everyone. Walking, jogging or running.

I'm curious as to why - wouldn't it be just like walking on flat ground?

It is.
    Don't listen to him.

There have been studies done, that show it doesn't make a lick of difference.

I don't know about it being unnatural or whatever, but if you're training for an outdoor race it's a good idea to set the treadmill to 0.5-1% to replicate flat outdoor running. Because the belt does a little bit of the forward motion for you, running on a treadmill with no incline is substantially easier than running the same distance outdoors on flat ground. For this reason people that train only on treadmills have a tough time when they go outside, and outdoor runners often find they can run a good clip faster when they come inside. I successfully did 95% of my training for a half marathon on a treadmill one bad winter.
  • aisha1142
    aisha1142 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You need to stretch and see a doctor
  • havenxx
    Options
    Just to let everyone know, my knees hurt AFTER I run. Not during
  • dramir47
    Options
    have you tried joint support supplements? I used to have the same problem until I bought orange triad by Controlled Labs. It's a multivitamin, a joint support, and helps with digestion. pretty good stuff!
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    You should never use a treadmill at 0 incline, it is not natural and bad for the legs. Always have the treadmills incline set to 1.0
    This applies to everything and everyone. Walking, jogging or running.

I'm curious as to why - wouldn't it be just like walking on flat ground?

It is.
    Don't listen to him.

There have been studies done, that show it doesn't make a lick of difference.

I don't know about it being unnatural or whatever, but if you're training for an outdoor race it's a good idea to set the treadmill to 0.5-1% to replicate flat outdoor running. Because the belt does a little bit of the forward motion for you, running on a treadmill with no incline is substantially easier than running the same distance outdoors on flat ground. For this reason people that train only on treadmills have a tough time when they go outside, and outdoor runners often find they can run a good clip faster when they come inside. I successfully did 95% of my training for a half marathon on a treadmill one bad winter.

I DO agree with what your saying, and when I run on a treadmill, it's always at 1, or higher if I am doing incline work.

But that poster sayings unnatural, and bad for your legs, is just silly..
  • maryjaquiss
    maryjaquiss Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I had a similar problem when I was just starting out running. Kept running on it and it kept hurting - badly - so I rested it. It took A LOT of rest though, probably because I kept running on it for way too long.

It now seems to be pretty much fixed (I never saw a doctor... so please don't take this as medical advice!). I'd give yourself a week or two off the actual running, using the cross trainer to keep up your fitness. The sooner you let it heal, the better I would have thought.
  • dreamchaser12
    dreamchaser12 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the replies to this, so I apologize if I'm repeating what someone else may have said... It's been my experience that whenever my knees hurt after running, it means it's time for new running shoes. They are only good for so many miles/km's before they don't offer the same support etc. I have had to replace my running shoes after 6 months. Also, make sure they are properly fitted running shoes. :smile:
  • batlou
    batlou Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Lots of good information here. If your a new runner you will get a lot of helpful information from a multitude of backgrounds. The bottom line, you need to do the following.

1. Consult Doctor
    2. Get properly fitted shoes made for running. This means do not go to your local big box store and buy them on your own, go to a running store and get properly fitted. About 3 years ago I was talked into switching into a new pair of shoes. Wow, they were like walking on air. To bad that about mile 4 of a run my knees felt like they were going to explode. I still use those shoes to cut grass in. :)
    3. Start slowly and build. Running is hard your body so even if your muscles and cardiovascular system can handle the strain it does not mean that your joints are up to speed yet. Consider using Couch to 5K (http://www.c25k.com) as it will help you ease your body into running.
    4. Build pace slowly as your fitness increases. Just because you can run a 6 minute mile does not mean you should. You could be over striding or some other wonky stride. Consider short steps and being sure your feet land under your body and not out in front. Increase leg turnover to compensate for shorter strides. Lots of good information on the web regarding strides and how to properly run for distance as opposed to sprints.
    5. Have fun and if you can, find a trail and get off the street.
  • motherofdragons84
    motherofdragons84 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Perhaps runners knee or you are irritating your IT band.

I would try switching your shoes -- get properly fit.