Should I be losing weight if I'm running?

Options
2»

Replies

• Steve_Runs
    Steve_Runs Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    You lose weight by taking in less calories then you then you burn! It's really pretty simple. Running is just a means by which one can burn calories.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    no
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    I've started jogging to work about 4 times a week and sometimes on the way home to work as well at a light to moderate pace, it takes me just over 30 mins..... and .... I've been watching what I eat most days but I do binge occasionally, maybe 2 - 3 days a week.

Should I be losing weight from running?

Sorry if it looks like folks are having a go but the bingeing is negating the work you are putting into running.

I wonder what were you doing before you took up running four times a week to work and back? Were you binge eating then? What I mean is - did the binge eating start because you have taken on too much running too soon and you are feeling constantly hungry?

If yes, try running on every other day and walking on the off days, or try fast walking instead of running. could be a reaction against suddenly taking on too much too soon - I've been there and done that.
  • jeaninecomstock
    Options
    I have actually gained weight since running and I watch my calories a ton. It's strange. My pants don't feel tight though so I assumed it was muscle. Maybe the binging it what is causing you to gain? I have a friend that used to exercise with me and she was a binge eater...and never lost a lb even though we would go to the gym regularly and I was losing.
  • hannahcall2
    hannahcall2 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Excercise accounts for only 30% of weightloss. The other 70% is from eating.
  • elijhasmomma
    elijhasmomma Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Can you look at my diary too? I log religiously every day, even when I binge

Uhmm if your goal is 1200 and your exercising and not even eating the 1200 to begin with and creating an EVEN bigger deficit by burning cals...yeah you're not helping yourself!

ETA: something beneficial instead of all blahh..search the forums for in place of a road map 2.0 a ton of people recommend using this as a good guideline.
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options

Actually, it's more 20/80. 20% exercise and 80% eating.

If you run 2 miles then eat a cheeseburger, you're being counter productive to your training, your body, AND your weight loss/maintenance.

Eventually, the goal is to lose weight to run, not run to lose weight.
  • longtimeterp
    longtimeterp Posts: 614 Member
    Options

You also have to be realistic about you are really burning. I burn ~ 125 per mile (and I weigh ~ 175 or so). So a few miles of running does not give us a license to eat whatever we want.

doesn't that suck that it takes at least 5-6 miles to even feel like you can splurge a little...oh HRM's how i hate your honesty...i'll never forget after my first half marathon i was like yes i can eat whatever...next thing you know i had eaten over 4000 calories, and had only burned 2200 in the race, so all that exercise was "wasted"
  • longtimeterp
    longtimeterp Posts: 614 Member
    Options

Eventually, the goal is to lose weight to run, not run to lose weight.

Never heard that before, but SOOOO true, awesome! hoep you don't mind me stealing it for my runkeeper profile!
  • rkr22401
    rkr22401 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    A reasonable average burn rate for running is 100 cal/mile. If you run an 8 min mile, that's 350 calories in 30 minutes. This can be erased (and then some) by a single donut.

Or think of it this way...you have to run 100 yards to burn off a single M&M candy.

You can't outrun your fork.
  • karenandreaclarke
    Options
    I have researched this particular subject and found that the best solution is to watch your calories.
    once you have stopped running, I strongly recommend http://preview.tinyurl.com/totalweightlossmethod only when you have stopped running!
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options

Unless you burn an extra 500-1000 calories daily through exercise and don't change your eating habits. Then most or all of your deficit is coming from exercise. Really, it depends on your strategy. I've never lost weight just by cutting calories. I have only ever lost weight by cutting calories in conjunction with upper exercise, or keeping calories the same and upping exercise.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    you food intake could be factor of your weight. like for example, food rich in fiber won't let you gain or lose weight but helps maintain you weight. running could burn calories but doesn't mean lose weight unless you do it regularly and pair it will diet food control intake. i refer to this site http://www.top-5-diets.info/ for the list of food good for the diet as well as weight loss.

Re: bolded- WTF? Care to elaborate on that one?

ETA: Just went to the link. BS site selling some BS cleanse. You tricked me. There is no food list on this site even. Spam.