Toning Up

Options
What are your best tips for toning up and building muscle? My current workout routine includes 30-45 minutes of cardio and then the weight machines. I'm just not seeing the tone and definition that I'd like to. I currently weigh 167 and am 5'6. I usually lift the following (3 sets, 15 reps):

Leg Press - 100 lbs
Seated Leg Curl - 70lbs
Hip Abduction/Adduction - 120 lbs
Lat Pulldown - 70 lbs
Row - 40 lbs
Chest Press - 40 lbs
Shoulder Press - 40 lbs
Biceps Curl - 50 lbs
Triceps Press - 70 lbs

One other question, when you lift, how much to you increase your calories by?

Replies

• cwettstain
    cwettstain Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I always feel weaker when I lift after I run. Try flipping it, and do your priority workout first. If you want more benefit from weight training then try it before cardio.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I usually lift the following (3 sets, 15 reps):

Some here would say that if you can do more than 3 reps in the set you're lifting too light. I'm taking a more moderate route - I used to do 3 sets of 12 reps, but a few weeks ago I started lifting heavier and doing 6-8 reps per set, and by the last rep I'm really struggling to keep the correct form. It's only been a few weeks but I've already been able to increase the weight, and starting to see some definition where there wasn't any before. You might try lifting a bot heavier and see what happens.
  • Vonwarr
    Vonwarr Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    In essence, do weights before cardio, do free weights, lift heavy.

Check this out for an example of what heavy lifting can do for you: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

Edited to add - There are several schools of thought on how many calories to add if you're trying to build muscle. Generally it's between 250 to 500 calories above your maintenance (to gain 0.5 to 1 lb a week). Make sure to keep your protein high, the higher the better (up to about 35-45% of your diet).
  • Temple_Fit
    Temple_Fit Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I do my cardio first and I have seen the changes. Change up your sets & reps do 4 sets of 8-10 or trying pyramiding also intervals will help burn fat and your diet makes a big difference. I also use free weights and I try to eat at least 100 grams of protein a day, sometimes more.
  • 04hoopsgal73
    04hoopsgal73 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    I switched and do the weight training first and the cardio second.

If you can do 15 reps in a set, increase the weight and return to 10 reps in 3 sets…continue building up at that weight.

Do a regular week of 3 sets and 10 reps, second week lift heavier and do 4-8 reps, do another regular week, do the last week
    without any break between sets. You’re mixing it up & your body is guessing versus knowing what’s coming.

These things should give you results you’re aiming towards.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    You're not working with enough weight. If your muscles aren't spent after like 5-8 reps it's just too light. Also doing all those machines are worthless in comparison to free weights.