Runners... Re: Running Sneakers

Options
Do you have different sneakers for treadmill running and outdoor running??

So here's my dilemma...

I had a pair of Nike Free sneakers when i first lost weight, but i can't remember if i used them on the treadmill or not... I definitely used them outside and i loved them. So when i needed new ones i bought the same type, just the new version...

(sidenote: i gained back more than half the weight i lost, as i stopped exercising, running, etc)

So i recently started running again, on the treadmill (it's cold in NYC)... and the past 2 times, i've gotten this pain in my foot, kinda right at the ball of my foot, and it doesn't even wait until the next day, right now it's like 3 hours after my "run" (more of a jog/walk) on the treadmill, and i can barely walk on it.

Anyway, i'm just wondering if I should get "treadmill" sneakers. What do you think?

Replies

• Priincess_Natalie
    Priincess_Natalie Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I wear the same shoes for indoor and outdoor running. You may need a different style of shoe or it just could be your feet getting used to running again. I get random foot pain but nothing chronic. I figure it goes with the territory :). Good luck.
  • gillybeanz74
    gillybeanz74 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    You might not be in the proper shoe for you foot either. If you have a running store in your area they should be able to fit you with the right shoe. Here in Canada we have a store called the Running Room and they are awesome. And I also wear the same shoe indooors and outdoors
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    You might have injured or irritated the small bones at the ball of the foot. See a podiatrist - foot pain is not a good sign.

Regarding shoes, as said above it's best to get fitted for a shoe at a proper running store. I didn't go that route but hopefully I didn't screw up. I ordered about a dozen pairs of different shoes from Zappos and just ran a little in the house to see what worked best. I did try the Nike Free but they did not have enough support and cushioning for me (they are more of a minimalist shoe). I went with the Brooks Ghost 5 since they just felt "right." My wife & I both have separate shoes for indoors and outdoors. No outdoor shoes go past the foyer in our house!
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    I use the same shoes inside and out. With that said, I don't run on the treadmll because it makes my feet hurt. :) Bundle up and try running in the cold, see if you have the same issue.
  • dreamchaser12
    dreamchaser12 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I'm another who uses the same running shoes both inside and out. I got fitted at New Balance for my runners. They are SO comfortable!! And remember they are only good for so many miles/km's and then they don't give the same support. Usually my sign is sore knees after running.