Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

In need of food ideas please!!

I am going shopping tomorrow.. my first shopping trip since starting to eat right! I don't exactly know things to get though... I need more protein, lower sodium and really good tasting foods! Feel free to take a look at my diary (yes, i know it isn't perfect! I'm working on it!) and see what I have already, and ideas on what I may be doing wrong. I haven't really been losing any weight, while working out a lot and eating under my calories.

thank you for anyone who can help!!!

Replies

• My grocery list always has chicken, tuna, eggs, greek yogurt, oatmeal, orange juice, veggies & fruits. Try watching your carbs & sodium some days you do really good & but others you're over. I know that not everyday is going to be perfect but if you want potatoes opt for peeling a potato instead of the instant ones....also read the labels cause a lot of "healthy" foods are really diet nightmares. I think you're on the right track & in the right place!! Stay motivated & remember if you eat right, work out, & get your sleep the weight is gonna fall off! :)
  • avocados, almonds, pistachios, pinto beans, sweet potatoes, brown rice, tilapia, salmon, ground turkey, turkey bacon, egg whites, tuna fish, chicken breasts, 1% milkfat cottage cheese.....just to name a few stuff lol. Also just suggestion, ease up on the carbs for dinner time, unless you train after dinner. most of your carb intake should be taken in the morning and for lunch since it's when your most active.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Lettuce and fixins for various salads.

Fruit.
    Vegetables.

Anything else, be careful with.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    - Fifteen different fruits and vegetables in the full rainbow of colours (red, green, yellow/ orange, blue/ purple). By all means get some canned (tomatoes, beans, lentils, no sugar pumpkin, red grapefruit), some frozen (berries, green veggies), some longer life (sweet potatoes, carrots, onions, cabbage), some dried (eg. cherries, prunes, apricots, pears, split peas, lentils). Then you can have nine servings a day without repeating the same thing every day
    - reduced fat dairy (eg. plain Greek yoghurt, low fat soft cheese, half fat hard cheese) also parmesan or grana padano
    - oily fish, canned or fresh (eg. sardines/ pilchards, salmon, trout, herring, mackerel)
    - whole fresh chicken or frozen portions - take the skin off to lose the fat, flavour and batch cook this yourself
    - nuts or seeds of your choice/ peanut butter
    - old fashioned, jumbo or steel cut oats for breakfast and homemade flapjacks/ cereal bars/ healthy cookies
    - garlic, chillis, ginger, no added sugar tomato paste, reduced salt stock powder or cubes, Lo Salt, block creamed coconut, Thai/ Chinese/ Indian dried spice blend, whichever you prefer. I get jar chilli in vinegar and frozen garlic because I am lazy!
    - as little as possible that has ingredients, especially sugar, white/ refined carbs or processed wheat.

I just made Bolognese meat sauce with very little salt but loads of flavour - the rich taste came from red wine, Marigold reduced salt stock powder, Meridian no added salt yeast extract, long cooking time then reduce the liquid to nothing. The yeast extract is actually rich in protein and was the new addition to my recipe. Not sure if you can get something similar.
  • shereemaria
    shereemaria Posts: 12 Member
    metric ****ton of vegetables
    tiny bit of fruit
    as much meat as you can carry
    low-fat dairy products
    egg whites

and a zillion flavours and spices because meat & veg can get old quick.
  • StephG1130
    StephG1130 Posts: 99 Member
    Thank you! I have a great list going so far!! anymore recipes, foods or ideas, please keep them coming!

also, thank you for the tips about my diary!
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    tiny bit of fruit
    low-fat dairy products
    egg whites

Exactly!
  • ohnancy
    ohnancy Posts: 17 Member
    Don't forget a variety of canned beans. They're a quick source of fiber and protein and you don't even have to cook them! Just rinse in a colander to get rid of all the salty liquid and add to salads, soups, pasta and grain dishes. I buy pintos, navy beans, blackeyed peas, kidney beans, cannelini, black beans and chickpeas. Of course you can also make hummus with the chickpeas and burritos with the black beans.
  • StephG1130
    StephG1130 Posts: 99 Member
    Don't forget a variety of canned beans. They're a quick source of fiber and protein and you don't even have to cook them! Just rinse in a colander to get rid of all the salty liquid and add to salads, soups, pasta and grain dishes. I buy pintos, navy beans, blackeyed peas, kidney beans, cannelini, black beans and chickpeas. Of course you can also make hummus with the chickpeas and burritos with the black beans.

do you have a good hummus recipe by chance?
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    tiny bit of fruit
    low-fat dairy products
    egg whites

Ugh! You would advocate the use of dairy products, but limit the fruit intake!?!?!?!?

This is the advice that will guarantee you get sick. NEVER limit your intake of fruits or vegetables!

If all you care about is weight loss, and don't mind increasing your chances of getting sick, than this might work in the short term, but this is dangerous advice, healthwise.
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Also just suggestion, ease up on the carbs for dinner time, unless you train after dinner. most of your carb intake should be taken in the morning and for lunch since it's when your most active.

Your evidence for this comes from where?
  • kittenbobitten
    kittenbobitten Posts: 199 Member
    I agree with all of the posters. Those are excellent choices/selections.

My list always includes as many fresh veggies as possible: lettuce, spinach, radishes, celery, mushrooms, squash, onions (I hate them. I but them anyway to flavor stuff.) and NO SODIUM added frozen veggies like spinach, broccoli, okra, peas, etc. I also buy the cheap brand of no sodium added cooked tomatoes. I used those in my food processor to make my own spaghetti sauce, enchilada sauce, etc.

Also, avocados, almonds and snack bars that fit into my diet. Then I always get chicken, turkey, ground turkey, and other meats. :)