Is rice good for weight loss?

Options

Replies

• cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Question: Do you like white rice?

If the answer is yes, and you want to eat white rice, and you don't have any medical reason not to eat white rice, then yes, white rice is good for weight loss.

Why is white rice good for weight loss? Because you like it, you have the calories for it, and you're not depriving yourself of anything.

I eat all types of rice often and I'm doing ok.

Unless you have some sort of medical condition, personal or religious reasons, there are no "bad" foods. Some foods are more nutrient dense and some are more calorie dense and some are both. Some foods will keep you feeling fuller longer and often help with keeping within your calorie goals for the day.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    just ate creamed white rice. I'll let you know how I go tomorrow.
  • GomesDavid
    Options
    God I love rice! That definitely doesn't sound like a "healthy" way to lose weight, but I would enjoy it very much! :)

When I have rice with my meals, I always cheat and pick up a pint at the Chinese place....already cooked, steaming hot.

But that's true, Asians eat rice with every meal and they are itty bitty!!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Oh noezzz! You'll probably wake up dead with an insulin spike stuck right through your body!

Answer to the OP: As long as you're maintaining a caloric deficit and getting your macronutrients, rice will not keep you from losing weight. Everything in moderation.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    You'll probably wake up dead with an insulin spike stuck right through your body!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

well put
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Just check your portion sizes. A lot of people over estimate for Rice and Pasta.
  • jlohcook
    jlohcook Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    All these talk about insulin spike...interesting, I guess the whole of Asian community that lives on rice as their main staple will die off pretty soon?! Quite ridiculous, some of the statements here.

For us Asians, rice is a main staple, we can't live without it. So, is it bad for us? No, so far, our diets generally both lunch and dinners require rice, we won't feel full if we don't have it. and if you make us live on bread or salad or just steak alone, we won't feel full at all. We will probably die faster ( as how some here claimed what rice will do to you) if we just live without rice. As you can see, many Asians are smaller in size generally in Asia, because our diet is not only on rice alone, but a good combination of vegetables, meat, and fruits. Of course in the recent health reports, many claims that brown rice is better than white rice. For thousands of years, Asians have been living with white rice, it's not easy to switch to brown rice.

So, is it bad for you, it depends. I think the composition of what your body can take depends on what you are used to, some people can be fat even being vegetarian, it's really taking things in moderation, what the body needs, and the nutrients that you need. I won't go so strong as to condemn any kind of food at all. You have to find what works for you.

Balanced diet is most critical to get healthy and help to lose weight.
  • karenandreaclarke
    Options
    I never was very good good at sticking to a particular weight loss plan. I am very happy about how I look but sometimes I just want to lose a bit of weight - nothing major. I used this the last time which worked well..... I had to fill out a form first to access it..http://tinyurl.com/weightlosslinks
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    This is what is good for weight loss - - - CALORIE DEFICIT. And no...white rice is not a miracle food that you'll eat and weight will fall off you. If you like white rice go ahead and eat it, just make sure it fits into your daily calorie goal.
  • neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I used to substitute shredded cauliflower for rice. Even my husband liked it!

Just use a grater to shred it up then stick in the microwave for 5 minutes. Easy peasy.
  • Yaya1976
    Yaya1976 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation. When I have white rice. I will only have one serving. I tend to stay away from box rices with all the flavors. They have tons of calories and a serving is only like 1/4 cup.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    worrying about the wrong stuff :) BIG PICTURE! BIG PICTURE!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Yes. I eat like five bags of rice a day.
  • marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    avoid the white stuff!

They said it... not me!
  • cnelson1974
    cnelson1974 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Use brown over white and be careful of your serving size. It will help fill you up, but there are other things to eat with the same amount of calories with a lot more nutrients. Good luck! :)
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    If you can eat white rice and stay at your calorie and macronutrient goals, AND if your white rice consumption doesn't cause you to avoid other nutrients (for example, if you ate only white rice and never touched a vegetable) then enjoy your white rice.

If you're not diabetic and you're using somewhat reasonable calorie and macronutrient values then I wouldnt' concern yourself with insulin.

weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I eat rice or pasta daily.... unless I'm having pizza.

Apparently, I should be fat and dead.
  • marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options

That's only true if you eat ice cream and drink milk... and maybe yogurt with extra sugar....
  • svgarcia
    svgarcia Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    All these talk about insulin spike...interesting, I guess the whole of Asian community that lives on rice as their main staple will die off pretty soon?! Quite ridiculous, some of the statements here.

For us Asians, rice is a main staple, we can't live without it. So, is it bad for us? No, so far, our diets generally both lunch and dinners require rice, we won't feel full if we don't have it. and if you make us live on bread or salad or just steak alone, we won't feel full at all. We will probably die faster ( as how some here claimed what rice will do to you) if we just live without rice. As you can see, many Asians are smaller in size generally in Asia, because our diet is not only on rice alone, but a good combination of vegetables, meat, and fruits. Of course in the recent health reports, many claims that brown rice is better than white rice. For thousands of years, Asians have been living with white rice, it's not easy to switch to brown rice.

So, is it bad for you, it depends. I think the composition of what your body can take depends on what you are used to, some people can be fat even being vegetarian, it's really taking things in moderation, what the body needs, and the nutrients that you need. I won't go so strong as to condemn any kind of food at all. You have to find what works for you.

Balanced diet is most critical to get healthy and help to lose weight.

I totally agree.
    I have cousins that lives in the Philippines, they eat rice practically with every meal along with their vegetables (mostly greens) and meat. They are thin an have quite a beautiful complexion...
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

That's only true if you eat ice cream and drink milk... and maybe yogurt with extra sugar....

Chocolate milk every night at bedtime. EEPS... I better start on my obituary.