Baker's Cysts

Options
Has anyone ever had one? I just found out I have a large one on the back of my right knee last week. My doctor just told me to ice it and it should go away on its own. Does anyone have any advice on how to deal with it? Do braces help? It is very painful but I really can't afford to lose much in my workout because I have already gotten behind. It has been a very frustrating last two weeks.

Replies

• 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,863 Member
    Options
    My friend had a bakers cyst and was told the same as you. Just to rest it. It has gone away now but I think it did reappear once more. She has been free of it for a year or so now. Looks like all you can do is take it easy until it has gone. A good idea woud be rest until after the new year and then see how it is. If it is better before new year then that is a bonus. Good luck and hope it is better soon.
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Has anyone ever had one? I just found out I have a large one on the back of my right knee last week. My doctor just told me to ice it and it should go away on its own. Does anyone have any advice on how to deal with it? Do braces help? It is very painful but I really can't afford to lose much in my workout because I have already gotten behind. It has been a very frustrating last two weeks.
    I have one at the back of my left knee. I noticed it when I was injured last month and re-injured that same knee in a freak accident (turning over in bed, would you believe!!!)

My physio told me the same - that they don't tend to drain them anymore and I have taken to stretching and icing it with this latest injury and it seems to have gone down a bit.

It feels at its most stiff when I get up from my desk and I just stretch my calves to relieve the soreness.
  • ereilly311
    ereilly311 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! I hate those freak accidents to get hurt, I seem to be the queen of them. I will trip over air and sprain my ankle. It seems to get the most stiff for me when I am standing a lot. I coach middle school basketball and will be on my feet for an hour or so straight and it really hurts when I get home.