food scale

Options
Hi. I have never used one before, but it is hard sometimes to guess or estimate size, etc. Any reliable, inexpensive food scales? Easy to use-I am not good with technology!! Thought I'd see if anyone had any advice. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• NykkieC
    NykkieC Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I have a super cheap scale that I either got at Wal-Mart or Target...don't remember for sure sorry!
    It's not digital or anything - it comes with a little 'bucket' that you put the food in.
    I believe I only spent $5 on it and I love it!
  • rob1976
    rob1976 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    We picked up ours at the grocery store and use it daily. It's got a large tray that sits on top and weighs anything up to I think 20 lbs. We buy our meat in bulk from CostCo and weigh out individual serving sizes before packing and freezing it. If a recipe calls for 1/2-lb of ground beef, we take out 2 4-oz servings. Sometimes it's hard to estimate the right size for a 3-oz piece of steak, but I get close and I get better at it every time I do it.
  • msaracione
    Options
    I have the Cuisinart digital food scale, and for $40 I thought it was a little expensive but I love it! Like a previous post mentions I am getting better and better at estimating weights/servings correctly after using this over the last year. It's definitely worth the money in my opinion.
  • BetterVersion
    Options
    We got the lowest priced digital one from wal mart. Since it's digital it's about 15 bucks more than their cheapest scale, but I would really recommend going digital- it's much more accurate and sensitive. I really don't think we paid more than $20.
  • donnaleecam
    Options
    Thanks all! We have a walmart and I am going to Target tomorrow ! So, I'll check out the suggestions. :)
  • Mangoaddict
    Mangoaddict Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    I have the cuisine art one and love it. Its perfect. Does grams and oz calculation. I also love the fact that it has a silver tray that can be washed.
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I have one that I got on Amazon.com for about $10. It is digital and can be switched from oz to grams, weighs a great range and comes with a plastic, easily washable pan. I'm really pleased with it and it's so easy to use that I measure just about everything I eat in grams now.