Opinions on fitness trainers?

So I'm considering consulting with a fitness trainer at the local gym...most people tell me that my diet isn't too bad, and that I just have to start exercising to tone down. I'd say if I lost 20 pounds I'd be pretty content, but I'm sure at that point I'd want to keep going in order to see more results.

When I exercise, I do it for a day or two then lose motivation and give up fairly quickly. I'm just way too impatient, and I think part of it is that I'm doing it all by myself with no guidance. I work a 9-5 job, and when I get home I just want to sit back and do nothing. I'm positive if I was on a schedule working with another (experienced) person I'd follow through.

I know most people will give generic answers such as "as long as you stick with it, it'll work/pay off, etc.", but I'm looking for personal subjective experiences. Did it work for you?

Cliffs: Too lazy/not motivated enough to exercise on my own, should I try a fitness trainer?

Replies

• AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    So I'm considering consulting with a fitness trainer at the local gym...most people tell me that my diet isn't too bad, and that I just have to start exercising to tone down. I'd say if I lost 20 pounds I'd be pretty content, but I'm sure at that point I'd want to keep going in order to see more results.

When I exercise, I do it for a day or two then lose motivation and give up fairly quickly. I'm just way too impatient, and I think part of it is that I'm doing it all by myself with no guidance. I work a 9-5 job, and when I get home I just want to sit back and do nothing. I'm positive if I was on a schedule working with another (experienced) person I'd follow through.

I know most people will give generic answers such as "as long as you stick with it, it'll work/pay off, etc.", but I'm looking for personal subjective experiences. Did it work for you?

Cliffs: Too lazy/not motivated enough to exercise on my own, should I try a fitness trainer?
    A trainer is not going to give you motivation. They may push you but willpower comes from the inside and not outside. You have to look inward and see why you're not personally motivated enough. Maybe you're truly happy with yourself.

*Note* I use to be a trainer. If that helps.
  • formersec
    formersec Posts: 233 Member
    A former employer brought in a trainer for a few sessions. He was good as far as exercise goes, but he was also a salesman -- constantly hawking supplements, protein powders, etc. And his philosophy about nutrition was too out there for my tastes.

As long as you find a trainer who spends time training you and not selling stuff, you should be fine.
  • zoukeira
    zoukeira Posts: 313 Member
    A good trainer is worth their weight in gold - but the really good ones are hard to find.
  • johloz
    johloz Posts: 176 Member
    I buy a few sessions with a personal trainer from time to time just to get out of an exercise rut and steal a few good ideas. I haven't had anyone try to sell me on supplements, but I know this does happen.

I would see if you can meet with the person you will be training with before buying sessions to discuss their philosophy and your goals.

If you think it would help, and you can afford it, go for it! I would love to have a regular personal trainer, but I can't justify the expense. If I were you, I would give it a try for a few sessions just to get you in the routine of working out, train you on proper form, and help you set up your training program.