Quick Easy "diet" soup for a cold???

Options
Hi Gang!!

Was wondering if anyone out there had a super quick soup recipe that won't kill my weight loss efforts? I'm feeling very under the weather and would Love some piping hot soup.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions/recipes!!!!

Heather

Replies

• kgrutch
    kgrutch Posts: 223
    Options
    super quick is opening the can and heating, i tried the progresso light santa fe chicken soup today, was very good, 80 calories for one cup. hope you feel better.
  • rlsluvr
    rlsluvr Posts: 130
    Options
    super quick is opening the can and heating, i tried the progresso light santa fe chicken soup today, was very good, 80 calories for one cup. hope you feel better.

Thanks!! Me too.... Thanks for the suggestion... trying to watch my sodium intake as well... I'll check it out. Going to the store on my way home to bed....
  • Minerva
    Minerva Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I love the Healthy Valley Organic No Salt added Soups. They keep the sodium down to 30mg vs 480mg for regular low sodium soups, plus I think they really taste good and I'm kinda picky about my soups. I tend to gain weight (retain water) when I'm sick and a the no salt added soup seems to help avoid that.

Hope you feel better!
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    Open a can of low sodium chicken broth and pour in a pot - add some diced up/sliced up carrots, celery, onion and maybe a small potato,- cook til soft then throw in some diced up boneless skinless chicken breast that will poach at the end of the cook time.

Do beef broth with green pepper, a can of diced tomato, some carrots, onion, zucchini - whatever you've got.... As for the meat, find a lean cut of beef (I like london broil) slice it thin, brown it and throw it in with the broth to boil before adding the veggies (beef gets softer the longer it cooks in soup) instead of potatoes throw in a small handful of rice.

For either of these soups, the potatoes or rice can be replaced with whatever pasta you like (cooked separate, added at the end) or completely left out to save calories.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    truthfully, i don't think any soup is going to derail your weight loss efforts. :)

i am making my own minestrone tonight, but one can of campbell's condensed minestrone is only 286 calories. progresso roasted garlic chicken is 200 for the can or campbell's chunky chicken broccoli cheese with potato is 420 for the can.

pick up whatever will tast good and i hope you feel better soon.
    dawn
  • rlsluvr
    Options
    Open a can of low sodium chicken broth and pour in a pot - add some diced up/sliced up carrots, celery, onion and maybe a small potato,- cook til soft then throw in some diced up boneless skinless chicken breast that will poach at the end of the cook time.

Do beef broth with green pepper, a can of diced tomato, some carrots, onion, zucchini - whatever you've got.... As for the meat, find a lean cut of beef (I like london broil) slice it thin, brown it and throw it in with the broth to boil before adding the veggies (beef gets softer the longer it cooks in soup) instead of potatoes throw in a small handful of rice.

For either of these soups, the potatoes or rice can be replaced with whatever pasta you like (cooked separate, added at the end) or completely left out to save calories.

Thanks!!! I will definately save these for when I'm feeling better and can stand to stand in the Kitchen and prep!!!

They sound super duper... Thanks so much for your response
  • rlsluvr
    Options
    truthfully, i don't think any soup is going to derail your weight loss efforts. :)

i am making my own minestrone tonight, but one can of campbell's condensed minestrone is only 286 calories. progresso roasted garlic chicken is 200 for the can or campbell's chunky chicken broccoli cheese with potato is 420 for the can.

dawn

Although there is a Brocolli/Cheese soup at Raley's ...TO DIE FOR!!! but....620 cals for 16 oz.... and I'm sure it's FULL of SALT!!! But oh so good.....:wink:
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options

dawn

Although there is a Brocolli/Cheese soup at Raley's ...TO DIE FOR!!! but....620 cals for 16 oz.... and I'm sure it's FULL of SALT!!! But oh so good.....:wink:

mmmmm... *drool* ...you're right. that and maybe 2 cups of lobster bisque for 760. :D
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I just boiled up some egg noodles, added chicken broth, water, frozen peas and carrots, a grilled chicken breast (diced). Pretty good and not too bad.

The other soups mentioned sound great!
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    When you do feel up to making homemade soup make a really big batch, portion it down and freeze it. I do this whenever I make soup and then it's there. It's lasts several months in the freezer. Sorry It doesn't hep for now, but next time...
  • ngm1692
    Options
    crock pot time! this takes less than 5 minutes for anything you need to do for it. although a couple hours of cook time in the crock.

2 chicken breasts (frozen is okay)
    1 bag frozen mixed veggies
    4-5 cups water + bullion or broth

take the chicken breasts (i buy in bulk and freeze when it's on sale, so frozen is actually fine, just takes a tiny bit longer) into the crock with 4-5 cups water + bullion (veggie or chicken, low salt is fine) or broth. let cook in the crock for a while until the chicken is done (usually less than 2 hours or so on high for me). add a bag of frozen mixed vegetables (i think i get the 10oz bags that have beans, peas, corn, carrot, lima beans). continue cooking another 15-30 minutes for the veggies. shred (or dice) chicken.

if you do feel up to some prep, you can cut up a potato or extra carrot. or any of the starches that other folks mentioned.

i don't like a ton of broth in my soups, and this is almost a perfect ratio of stuff and broth. super easy, and very low calories (most broth based soups are).

hope you feel better