Strong Lifts for Weight Loss???

Options
I am not sure if this question has been asked before. I am looking at losing close to 80 lbs. After having gotten off track, I am back trying to lose weight. I definitely am interested in lifting. Should I focus initially on cardio alone for weight loss or lifting heavy will still help me shed weight. I read posts where people seemed to tone fairly quickly but not so much as in losing weight. Also which is better to start off with - Strong lifts 5 x 5 or NROLFW?

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I am not sure if this question has been asked before. I am looking at losing close to 80 lbs. After having gotten off track, I am back trying to lose weight. I definitely am interested in lifting. Should I focus initially on cardio alone for weight loss or lifting heavy will still help me shed weight. I read posts where people seemed to tone fairly quickly but not so much as in losing weight. Also which is better to start off with - Strong lifts 5 x 5 or NROLFW?

1) Lifting weights is a great idea for preserving LBM. Your end-product will have a whole lot more sexypants if you lift while dieting.
    2) Both programs are good. As long as the program you are on has you training your whole body multiple times per week, doing mostly compound lifts, and adding weight to the bar in a planned-out method, then the differences aren't going to be too considerable. I would also look at all-pros beginner routine on bb.com,
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    if i could go back and tell redo it all, i'd start liftin at the same time i started cardio.

like a lot of people, i thought i had to lose weight before i could lift. i think back about it now, and realize that the main reason i thought his way, was because i didn't want to be the fat guy in the weights area.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts or Starting Strength i like first
    New Rules is great, but more complicated IMO...i would do that later.

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/The_Starting_Strength_Novice/Beginner_Programs
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    I like stronglifts, as it's just simple and easy (though physically, anything but easy).

Stronglifts is essentially the same program as my HS football workouts.
  • OmegaGator
    OmegaGator Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I still am the fat guy in the gym lifting, but I am less fat than before (dropped about 35lbs). From personal experience you can lose weight while lifting heavy. I get 20-25 mins of cardio before weights, and then just have fun lifting. I have gained muscle though as well, so I have put a bit of weight back on, but I know there is a difference so I'm happy with it. The main thing is to eat healthy.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I started Stronglifts a month or so ago. While I'm still maintaining a healthy diet and doing cardio, I've noticed more strength and definition.
    default Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    cardio after lifting is much more beneficial, can provide articles if needed.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    if i could go back and tell redo it all, i'd start liftin at the same time i started cardio.

like a lot of people, i thought i had to lose weight before i could lift. i think back about it now, and realize that the main reason i thought his way, was because i didn't want to be the fat guy in the weights area.

Same... I wish I started sooner. Except for me it wasn't that I thought I had to lose weight first, it was that lifting wasn't even on my radar as something I should do. I thought it was just for bodybuilders, not something that could make me shapelier.
  • kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Question: I still should probably lose a good 5-10lbs... would people suggest eating at maintenance, including eating back exercise calories or eating a deficit. I'm mostly wanting to lose body fat...
  • wannalosew82
    wannalosew82 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I guess I am worried that the scale may stall. But then again since I do have a lot of weight to lose, so is it possible to see success on the scale too?
  • wannalosew82
    Options
    Stronglifts or Starting Strength i like first
    New Rules is great, but more complicated IMO...i would do that later.

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/The_Starting_Strength_Novice/Beginner_Programs

Thanks. I will check it out.
  • wannalosew82
    Options
    I like stronglifts, as it's just simple and easy (though physically, anything but easy).

Stronglifts is essentially the same program as my HS football workouts.

Yeah. I found it easier to follow than NROLFW
  • Crowhorse
    Crowhorse Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • wannalosew82
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Great advice and info. If I were to do the Starting Strength Novice Program how long would it take? Will I be able to do it in half hour (wondering if I could do it during lunch hour) or would you recommend doing it and following it up with 30 minute cardio?
  • koshkasmum
    koshkasmum Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    By all means start lifting weight and building muscle - it will help you lose fat because ever pound of muscle uses more calories per day than a pound of fat. More muscle means more fat burning even when you are resting - or sleeping.

Also, muscle looks great!!!!
  • AndyStanford
    AndyStanford Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I definitely seem to be getting to the limits of what I can lose healthily by just controlling what I eat, so I'm going to be adding weights to my efforts in the new year, and am looking to follow StrongLifts.

I'm expecting that I'll drop a few kilos at first, but then as the muscle builds, I'll get back up to where I am now (~80kg), but looking good, unlike now. ;)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

You need to be in a caloric deficit to lose weight. You can do that with diet alone, or with diet and exercise. If you chose to include exercise, it can be cardio or lifting or both. Cardio and lifting affect the body differently (both are good, just different... depends on yoru goals outside of simple weight loss), but both burn cals and will help you get in a deficit if needed.
  • justjenny
    justjenny Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Question: I still should probably lose a good 5-10lbs... would people suggest eating at maintenance, including eating back exercise calories or eating a deficit. I'm mostly wanting to lose body fat...

If you want to lose weight, you have to be in a caloric deficit. Period. Keeping that deficit small (along with lifting and sufficient protein intake) will help maximize fat loss and minimize muscle loss. But you have to be in a deficit to lose weight.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    I guess I am worried that the scale may stall. But then again since I do have a lot of weight to lose, so is it possible to see success on the scale too?

Don't rely solely on the scale... take measurements too, and pictures as well (even if you hate them now). There are a lot of things that affect what the scale says which makes it an unreliable measure of progress.