Tough Mudder!

Options

Replies

• brassballa
    brassballa Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    On the monkey bars, the highest monkey bar is like a few inches further away than the others.
    Everest is harder than it looks...

Everest freaks me out but i think if we put our strongest team member up first we might be alright
  • brassballa
    Options
    Sweet!!

Of course, my last time was in the summer, this next time is in February, I am thinking frozen hands might make the difference between easy and impossible on monkey bars. Lol. Into the water I go.

If you cannot complete a station are you eliminated?
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    No. You can actually entirely skip any of the obstacles except for shock therapy.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    you can skip any and all obstacles, even the electrical ones. they tell ppl with heart conditions and history of seizures to skip those.

you aren't eliminated or anything. there is no timing chip for tough mudder. this is about finishing with your team and with a smile on your face.
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    On the monkey bars, the highest monkey bar is like a few inches further away than the others.
    Everest is harder than it looks...

Everest freaks me out but i think if we put our strongest team member up first we might be alright
    Haha chances are there will be people at the top already helping others up, real friendly and helpful people are in attendance.
  • stanluoser
    Options
    Did my first Tough Mudder in October at the Tristate New Jersey. It was amazing! Did every obstacle and came out of it with scraped knees and bruises!

Here are some tips that I would suggest:
    -Upper body strength
    this will help alot when doing most of the obstacles (monkey bars, rings, going over high walls, mt everest)
    -Do not wear gloves
    Some websites suggest that wearing gloves helps, but it doesn't! Some obstacles you can slip off because you're wearing them
    -Wear clothes that do not absorb water and DO NOT WEAR SOCKS
    You're going to be wet most of the time because you're jumping into water and mud pits. You don't want to end up running more weight than you need. I'd suggest wearing underarmor gear and getting Toe shoes. (People were asking me about them half the time about how they were)
    -Stretch out or you're going to be cramping.
    -Run with a group do not run by yourself
    My group of three, my brother, a friend, and I decide to just run at our own pace so we pretty much ran by ourselves the entire time. Run together, even if one person lags behind wait for them. This isn't a race, it is a challenge. Part of the challenge is to help others.

There are probably more but I just wanted to name a few. And be prepared to freeze your butt off in the ice water. When people say it's freezing..IT IS FREEZING! I got out of it and was jumping around trying to feel my body again for like a minute lol. What made it worse was the temperature was like 50 degrees that day and it was cold out!
  • Jpinpoint
    Jpinpoint Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    My brother-in-law does the Tuff Mudder in Phoenix and in Los Angles/San Diego.
    He is the most out of shape, obese, lazy person I personally know. He doesn't train.
    He does the Tuff Mudder then spends the next 3 days complaining how sore he is.

I've seen the youtube videos of Tuff Mudder, I have no interest in doing that to myself. However, I think those who are passionate about doing things like this are great. I think it's even more great if you train for it.

My brother-in-law has passion then he has 3 days of my sister waiting on him hand and foot because he can't climb off the couch.
  • brassballa
    Options
    My brother-in-law does the Tuff Mudder in Phoenix and in Los Angles/San Diego.
    He is the most out of shape, obese, lazy person I personally know. He doesn't train.
    He does the Tuff Mudder then spends the next 3 days complaining how sore he is.

I've seen the youtube videos of Tuff Mudder, I have no interest in doing that to myself. However, I think those who are passionate about doing things like this are great. I think it's even more great if you train for it.

My brother-in-law has passion then he has 3 days of my sister waiting on him hand and foot because he can't climb off the couch.

hahaha!!! that is funny!
  • brassballa
    Options
    Did my first Tough Mudder in October at the Tristate New Jersey. It was amazing! Did every obstacle and came out of it with scraped knees and bruises!

Here are some tips that I would suggest:
    -Upper body strength
    this will help alot when doing most of the obstacles (monkey bars, rings, going over high walls, mt everest)
    -Do not wear gloves
    Some websites suggest that wearing gloves helps, but it doesn't! Some obstacles you can slip off because you're wearing them
    -Wear clothes that do not absorb water and DO NOT WEAR SOCKS
    You're going to be wet most of the time because you're jumping into water and mud pits. You don't want to end up running more weight than you need. I'd suggest wearing underarmor gear and getting Toe shoes. (People were asking me about them half the time about how they were)
    -Stretch out or you're going to be cramping.
    -Run with a group do not run by yourself
    My group of three, my brother, a friend, and I decide to just run at our own pace so we pretty much ran by ourselves the entire time. Run together, even if one person lags behind wait for them. This isn't a race, it is a challenge. Part of the challenge is to help others.

There are probably more but I just wanted to name a few. And be prepared to freeze your butt off in the ice water. When people say it's freezing..IT IS FREEZING! I got out of it and was jumping around trying to feel my body again for like a minute lol. What made it worse was the temperature was like 50 degrees that day and it was cold out!

OK I have Vibrams I was wondering if I should start training in them.... I kept imagining losing my shoes in the Mud......Well This is so exciting. Thanks for the feed back :smile:
  • Mrs_Duh
    Mrs_Duh Posts: 263
    Options
    I've done two Tough Mudders, and here is my best advice:

-When it comes to the ice water, just get in and get out as fast as you can. The cold water is disorienting, and the longer you are in the water... the worse it is. Wait for the person ahead of you to get out, so you don't have to wait in the ice water for them.

-Practice trail running, not just treadmill or street running. The uneven/rocky terrain is a lot harder on the feet and hips, and trail running will help you adjust a little better.

-Wear as little cotton as possible. It will stay wet forever. I highly recommend Under Armour's Heat Gear (if you are doing the Mudder in warmer temps).

-Your knees, legs and elbows may get pretty scratched/cut up. I wore capris that covered my knees, which offered some protection. I brought wrist sweat bands to pull around my elbows when I had to crawl on the rocky ground.

-If you can get your hands on a waterproof camera, bring it! You can get some great pics of your group doing the obstacles that will be golden!!

-Wear sunscreen. Bring chapstick.

-Have fun!
  • stanluoser
    Options
    I had a pair of vibrams too! those five finger toe shoes are amazing to wear! I suggest you wear them, but they will get dirty or even torn up a bit. But still wearable after use.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

OK I have Vibrams I was wondering if I should start training in them.... I kept imagining losing my shoes in the Mud......Well This is so exciting. Thanks for the feed back :smile:

i have the new balance minimus shoes designed/made by vibrams. they're great.

i've done four mud runs, including TM, and have never lost a shoe.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    We have one coming up in August up in Vermont. We have all volunteered for the "New England" one in May to defer costs and get a first hand look at how screwed we are.

We did the warrior dash back in september, the most daunting part was that it was on a black diamond ski slope so the mountain was an obstacle in and of itself. I had managed all the obstacles except the long balance beam like one, which I fell off of twice and then got a 5 alarm case of the YIPS and had to skip it.

We ran a 5k the next day and I even PRd but this will prove to be much much more difficult.

This looks fun however, I cannot wait because there is something seriously wrong with me.
  • stanluoser
    Options
    I'll be at the one in Boston in May! Excited to run it again =D unless I get shipped out before then..
  • dtennisman2006
    dtennisman2006 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I have my first one this April! Looking forward to it

I'm doing one in April as well! Austin, TX
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I'm signed up for TM Whistler in June!

I did a Super Spartan in September and found a new challenge I hadn't encountered: cramping from running up and then down hills... it was horrendous but I was still able to run through them. I trained for a half marathon this past August so I'm going to get my mileage back up to that distance again by June. I am definitely going to make sure I'm running uneven terrain ahead of time though.

I've been lifting since October trying to gain strength before going back to more cardio-oriented workouts in the new year.

I think I'm going to do trail running with intermittent burpees for training. I also can finally do one full chin up and I'm aiming to do more by June.

I actually did use gloves for the Super Spartan and would do so again for Tough Mudder... they're super thin fabric but kinda rubbery... for electricians working in the rain who need perfect dexterity even when wet... got them at a work wear store. They were $10 for 2 pairs.

I'm scared to death of the arctic enema.
  • worldhurdler
    worldhurdler Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Hooray! I have done both a Tough Mudder and a Spartan Beast Race, and here's my 2 cents:

- DO wear gloves! I've done one with/one without, and you can remove them on a specific obstacle if you need to, but they protect your hands on seemingly innocent things like sliding down a rocky-muddy-ledge into a water obstacle. Also helps with crawling. We just bought cheap gardening gloves and cut the tips of the fingers off. Worked really well. The second race I didn't have them, and got several gashes on my palm that could have been avoided
    - DO wear socks! I did not for my first two mud races (Tough Mudder and a 5k mud run) but went for it on my Spartan Race, and it helped SO MUCH. Didn't feel all those annoying little rocks in your shoes nearly as much. I have some UnderArmor sport socks, and they worked great. Didn't weigh me down at all. Also, lace up your shoes REALLY tight! Lots of sticky mud will try and take them off
    - for the Tough Mudder I was fine wearing shorts, but for my Spartan Beast Race I lost a ton of skin on the back of my calves due to rope burn. In the future, I will likely wear shorts with knee-high compression socks to try and lessen some of that. I don't mind a few scrapes, cuts, and bruises, but feeling like the back of your legs got toasted in a sunburn is not-so-fun
    - work on upper body strength, but don't sweat it. It is a group event, and you should have people to help you along the way. I cannot do an unassisted pull-up, but I scaled Mt. Everest with the help of a bunch of guys. I fell off the monkey bars, but I was expecting to. YES the bars rotate, and they are inclined. GAG.
    - I'll echo the running advice. Work up your endurance, but I would say if you can only complete 6 or so miles straight you will still be just fine
    - Agree with the event is as hard as you make it. I've always gone out with friends and we journey as a group, help each other, and are not going for time. If someone is tired, we walk. I've always finished over 4 hours, but I'm not looking to set any records. If you want to push yourself more, go for it!

Overall, they are very very fun events =) Enjoy it to the fullest!
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options

i have the new balance minimus shoes designed/made by vibrams. they're great.

i've done four mud runs, including TM, and have never lost a shoe.

My boyfriend wore his vibrams for a tough mudder and he bruised his heel very badly on the first half mile. There will be rocks that you can't see. More foot protection is advisable.
  • workout_fish
    workout_fish Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I am signing up to do the New England TM this summer with a group of my co workers. Seeing this thread is great! Now i know what i need to work on so im not the caboose of the group. Thanks for all the great tips everyone!
  • stanluoser
    Options
    Hooray! I have done both a Tough Mudder and a Spartan Beast Race, and here's my 2 cents:

- DO wear gloves! I've done one with/one without, and you can remove them on a specific obstacle if you need to, but they protect your hands on seemingly innocent things like sliding down a rocky-muddy-ledge into a water obstacle. Also helps with crawling. We just bought cheap gardening gloves and cut the tips of the fingers off. Worked really well. The second race I didn't have them, and got several gashes on my palm that could have been avoided
    - DO wear socks! I did not for my first two mud races (Tough Mudder and a 5k mud run) but went for it on my Spartan Race, and it helped SO MUCH. Didn't feel all those annoying little rocks in your shoes nearly as much. I have some UnderArmor sport socks, and they worked great. Didn't weigh me down at all. Also, lace up your shoes REALLY tight! Lots of sticky mud will try and take them off
    - for the Tough Mudder I was fine wearing shorts, but for my Spartan Beast Race I lost a ton of skin on the back of my calves due to rope burn. In the future, I will likely wear shorts with knee-high compression socks to try and lessen some of that. I don't mind a few scrapes, cuts, and bruises, but feeling like the back of your legs got toasted in a sunburn is not-so-fun
    - work on upper body strength, but don't sweat it. It is a group event, and you should have people to help you along the way. I cannot do an unassisted pull-up, but I scaled Mt. Everest with the help of a bunch of guys. I fell off the monkey bars, but I was expecting to. YES the bars rotate, and they are inclined. GAG.
    - I'll echo the running advice. Work up your endurance, but I would say if you can only complete 6 or so miles straight you will still be just fine
    - Agree with the event is as hard as you make it. I've always gone out with friends and we journey as a group, help each other, and are not going for time. If someone is tired, we walk. I've always finished over 4 hours, but I'm not looking to set any records. If you want to push yourself more, go for it!

Overall, they are very very fun events =) Enjoy it to the fullest!

I still don't agree on wearing gloves or wearing socks. Maybe it is just preference. I saw someone wearing gloves took them off put them in their pocket, some even held them with their mouth and they end up losing it when they fell into the water. Why bother worrying about extra stuff to carry. Your socks will be wet half the time, I did it in cold weather, and having wet socks and cold temperature just freezes the toes and maybe if its cold enough frostbite.