Stupid Ankle. Grr. Help me stay motivated, please!

Options
I've had a problem with my ankle for about six months now - I rest it, it gets better, I overdo it, it gets worse. It finally got to a point where I realized I had to go see a doctor - and it turns out I have both a stress fracture and tendonitis in that ankle.

So I'm in a boot for 4 weeks, and then I get to start PT. I can still exercise as long as it doesn't involve my legs bearing weight, so pretty much my entire leg day is shot. The only cardio I can do is slow biking and the rowing machine, and I can swim if I'm careful not to push off with that leg.

I'm trying to keep up a positive attitude - I'm lucky to have good insurance, so I can afford to go to a good doctor and get the PT, and if I really rest and let this heal, I'll be able to do more than I could while I was limping along the track and calling it "running". But it's really, really frustrating, and I keep feeling like all the work I've put in over the last year is going to be a big wasted effort, and I might as well eat all the cookies because my ankle hurts, wah wah poor me.

So I could use a few motivating words. Maybe a kick in the butt or two. Especially from people who've gone through a stupid injury like this and come out better on the other side. Thanks!

Replies

• JessPaul93016
    JessPaul93016 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    In September of 2011, I tore three tendons in my ankle. I was in a boot for 5 weeks, an airbrace for 4 weeks after and did 6 weeks of PT. Please don't be like me in that, it took me a year to get back to my exercises. But when I did start back, I did the C25K program and am now finishing Supreme 90 (like p90x). What I can suggest is this, keep yourself accountacble for your calorie intake and rest. Once you are out of the boot and doing PT, start back slow and don't push your ankle too far. It is a very frustrating situation to be in, I know that all too well. Good luck to you!
  • Shayztar
    Shayztar Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I am 2 weeks out of boot, 4th week of PT for a grade 2 sprain. Was in a boot for 8 weeks, 6 weeks of it non-weight-bearing. Still can't walk without limping. I have about another 4 weeks of PT at least.

I was told to use a stationary bike. For you, you can put your boot up and use your good leg to pedal until permission to use both legs. I was also told I could swim. Lastly, there's a machine at the gym (can't remember what it's called) where you can pedal with just your arms? But get permission from your PT first. Besides, your PT might have better suggestions for you too. Ask him/her! :)

I should take my own advice. I've been doing my best just thru diet the past 2+ months. I miss exercising.

Good luck.
  • crobl
    crobl Posts: 380
    Options
    I work as a Certified Athletic Trainer - and trust me, there is plenty that you can do while in a boot. Obviously you have already been given instructions for biking and swimming, but you can also use an UBE (upper body ergometer aka arm bike). This is what shayztar is talking about. If you design your upper body/core workout into more of a circuit style workout with lower rest breaks, you will also get a cardio burn.

Diet is also important, especially with an injury. What you put into your body can affect healing time. For example, I had an athlete that chain smoked and didn't drink milk - needless to say his broken leg took far longer to heal. An injured or not - weightloss happens in the kitchen as much, if not more than in the gym.

Bottom line - take care of yourself. I was sidelined for longer than I liked because of a double leg surgery this summer. But, I went from not being able to run a mile without getting burning/searing pain/numbness/drop foot - to barely being tired after a 3 mile run. Taking care of yourself and letting yourself heal with pay off in the long run.
  • docturtle
    docturtle Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I broke 2 toes in July, so I wore a 'broken toe sandle' on that foot for 6 weeks and still went about my routine but tried to take it easy. The pain was still there after 6 weeks, so I continued to wear the sandle for another 6 weeks and tried my best to stay off it as much as possible, no workouts this time. =( Still pain after 12 weeks so I finally went to a doctor, who put me on crutches and made a follow-up appointment with an Orthopedist in 10 days. He took me off the crutches and gave me a cortisone shot in hopes of healing the nerve damaged cause by the now healed broken toes. He said to take it easy for yet another 6 weeks, only walk my dog around the block and no elliptical. So I've been doing some weight lifting with my arms and some yoga moves that do not involve my left foot bending at the toes and when it wasn't back to normal in 6 weeks, I went back for another cortisone shot and was told 6 weeks more and it's been3 weeks and I still feel no change. I'm scheduled for one last cortisone shot on January 3rd if my foot is not back to normal by then, which I have no faith that it will be, then I'm looking at 6 more weeks once again and after that I give up! I'm so frustrated with not being able to do my regular workouts over stubbing my toes on a tree stump back in July! Thanks for the venting stage. At the very least, maybe it would help you to know that you are not alone. Hang in there and let's try to hope for the best and watch the food diary and do what we can for exercise.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    You'll have to control your weight with your diet. It's possible, I lost most of the 40+ pounds I lost without an exercise routine. I almost think losing weight and not having to worry about changing 2 aspects of your life is easier. So, eat at a deficit and eat as clean as possible. Make good food decisions and do what you can (lifting, etc) while you heel.
  • kimkimwu3
    kimkimwu3 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Speaking from experience with a stress fracture, do what your PT and doctor say and really take it easy. I had a stress fracture in my foot from dancing and was told to be off of it for 6 weeks in a aircast and 6 weeks of PT after that. Of course, since I'm a dancer and was in the middle fo my season, I rushed my recovery to get back on stage and that was two years ago. I pushed myself too hard and actually made it worse and couldn't put weight on it for another three months and still have to constantly not overdo it, so just take it easy and you'll be better off in the long run,
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,583 Member
    Options
    I've had a problem with my ankle for about six months now - I rest it, it gets better, I overdo it, it gets worse. It finally got to a point where I realized I had to go see a doctor - and it turns out I have both a stress fracture and tendonitis in that ankle.

So I'm in a boot for 4 weeks, and then I get to start PT. I can still exercise as long as it doesn't involve my legs bearing weight, so pretty much my entire leg day is shot. The only cardio I can do is slow biking and the rowing machine, and I can swim if I'm careful not to push off with that leg.

I'm trying to keep up a positive attitude - I'm lucky to have good insurance, so I can afford to go to a good doctor and get the PT, and if I really rest and let this heal, I'll be able to do more than I could while I was limping along the track and calling it "running". But it's really, really frustrating, and I keep feeling like all the work I've put in over the last year is going to be a big wasted effort, and I might as well eat all the cookies because my ankle hurts, wah wah poor me.

So I could use a few motivating words. Maybe a kick in the butt or two. Especially from people who've gone through a stupid injury like this and come out better on the other side. Thanks!
    Boxing on a bag uses little leg work and is a fantastic alternative using only your upper body. I know, since I've already strained my hamstring twice in my 40's and had to abstain from running and leg work till it healed.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Mel2626
    Mel2626 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    BUMP~ still having problems with my leg and looking for ideas to start exercising again. Best of luck to you and your healing process!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I had a stress fracture last winter, and decided to use my recovery time to play a lot of video games and self-medicate with chocolate. I did a little biking, and a little upper body strength training, but mostly, I just said, "If the worst happens during this time is gaining five pounds, that's just fine by me." I knew that once I could run and do everything I wanted to do again, any weight I gained would come right off.

I only gained one pound. :smile: It was really worth it emotionally to just take time off from fussing over calories.
  • snowboardn
    Options
    If you can manage, and you have the resources, get some boxing gloves and one of those sand filled dummies... beat on that using different boxing combinations for 1 to 2 minutes straight with a minute or two of rest three times... If that doesn't get your heart pumping, you should probably join the UFC
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Thanks, all! It seems weird, but my gym doesn't have one of those hand bike thingies - that was the first thing I thought of. I *am* going to ask my trainer about boxing, though, because I can do it in the boot (I think) and I do feel like punching some things, and he almost never lets me do it but now he'll have to. Hah.

After over a year of almost never missing a gym day, it is really, really weird to switch gears to "the best thing for my health is to skip a big part of my workout." I'm kind of scared I'll just stop going altogether, so hearing ideas of stuff I can still do is good. And I did get my butt in the gym this morning even if it was only for a swim. I'm thinking I can do this.