I am ALWAYS HUNGRY

Options
2»

Replies

• kls13la
    kls13la Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    As stated above, you may need to eat more. 1200 calories isn't much for most people.

You also have to learn to make the most of your calories. You can actually eat a lot on 1200 calories, if that is in fact the proper goal for you. Eating lots of snacks and cookies is not the way to do it. You only have one day of food logged, so I don't know if this is a normal eating day for you, but let's look at it:

400 calories in cookies
    300 calories in hummus
    170 calories in protein bar
    22 calories in Hershey kiss
    64 calories in juice
    79 calories in veggies
    60 calories in sour cream
    158 calories in veggie protein crumbles

The cookie calories are a complete waste, and were 1/4 of your daily calories. If you can't live without a cookie each day, eat one, not four. For 400 calories you could have eaten a huge salad with chicken (or veggie protein crumbles if you are vegetarian), cheese, yogurt based dressing, crackers, and a ton of veggies. Very filling! Or any number of meals -- there are numerous cookbooks out there that feature good meals with 400 calories or less. Hummus is also good for you and great tasting, but fairly high in calories. You wasted 300 calories eating hummus yesterday -- that's nearly 1/4 of your daily calories! The juice calories are also a waste -- eat a piece of fruit instead. Your lunch appeared to consist of beets, cauliflower, and hummus. I'm not surprised that didn't keep you full -- it wouldn't have kept me full for more than 1/2 an hour! As some other folks noted above, definitely increase your protein.

This takes some trial and error and practice, but you will learn to make the most of every single calorie. In the end, you will be surprised at how much you can eat if you eliminate all the junk.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Many on 1200 cals a day find it's not enough. Hunger, lack of energy, and eventually, slowed weight loss.

Run your numbers through this tools at this topic: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

It will help you calculate your BMR and TDEE and help you find a target number between those two. Most people find their BMR is higher than 1200 - I figure if I need more than 1200 while I'm comatose, I certainly need more than that while I'm up walking & talking, and exercising as well. :smile:
  • CJisinShape
    CJisinShape Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I understand, diets can be hard. Well, I decided to push for more weight loss. I lost four pounds last week. And I wasn't hungry! What did I eat?

Homemade chicken soup with large chunks of vegetables and meat for most meals
    Homemade Veggie sir-fry, pork stir-fry, chicken stir-fry, homemade chicken fajitas, bananas, oranges, decaf coffee, water
    Homemade fried whole tilapia with large salad, salad sandwich with mayo, 1 slice salami.

If you notice, those are all restaurant-type entrees, but homemade, lots of veggies, very little processed food. All while making pancakes and bacon, quesadillas, pb&j, and the like for my family.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    More fiber, more protein, less calorie dense stuff, less sugar. That's what worked for me. If you have trouble getting in protein like I did (I'm vegan so it can be hard) get protein powder. Instead of drinking it in a shake, make protein pancakes. I use two scoops of protein powder, 1/4 cup almond milk, 1/2 cup water, 2tbsp PB2, and cinnamon and splenda to taste and cook it like a pancake. I put sugarfree strawberry preserves on them, and even after I do that the total ends up being 225 calories and 37g protein but it depends on what powder you use.
  • cajungirltx
    cajungirltx Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I'm always hungry too. Thanks for posting this so I could read the comments. I bumped my calories up to 1360 a day!
  • puggleperson
    puggleperson Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    bump
  • RHSheetz
    RHSheetz Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    5. Eat every 2 1/2 to 3 hours.

Right, because six 200 cal meals will leave you stuffed.

Hey Fire_Rock. Every little trick can help. It worked well for me, helped me never to have the "empty stomach" feeling.
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    More fiber, more protein, less calorie dense stuff, less sugar. That's what worked for me. If you have trouble getting in protein like I did (I'm vegan so it can be hard) get protein powder. Instead of drinking it in a shake, make protein pancakes. I use two scoops of protein powder, 1/4 cup almond milk, 1/2 cup water, 2tbsp PB2, and cinnamon and splenda to taste and cook it like a pancake. I put sugarfree strawberry preserves on them, and even after I do that the total ends up being 225 calories and 37g protein but it depends on what powder you use.

Bump. These are great...although I have allergic reactions to non-dairy milk products,,,so I had to use milk...I am not vegan though.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    You have a diet that contains a lot of simple-ish sugars (such as fruit juices, oreos etc) causing glucose crashes. Cut them out, expect less hunger.

This.

Low-carb diets help with hunger. It's still hard though, make no mistake. I keep waiting for a safe and effective appetite suppressant.

That depends on the person. If I don't have any carbs, it's like I didn't even eat. Carbs fill me up way better than protein, unless it's fatty protein, of course.

Unusual that.

Each to their own I guess.
  • jesspi68
    jesspi68 Posts: 292
    Options
    Eat more food, 1200 calories per day sucks
    QFT
  • cyberbidder
    Options
    Are positive you are hungry? Or perhaps you are like me and just want to eat!!
  • likepepsicola
    likepepsicola Posts: 117 Member
    Options

Yup.

This is why a lot of people do IF.
  • cheerchicksie
    cheerchicksie Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    have a wedge of lemon and 2 glasses of water before every meal. (lemon shrinks your stomach)

fat, fiber and protein fill you (like the others said) but I think fat has more calories per gram so stick with higher protein and fiber.
  • Ilysandrew11
    Ilysandrew11 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Do you work out a lot?? Ever since I have been working out I am hungry ALL the time!!! I find that the plain oatmeal (I just eat 1/2 cup) is very filling, and you can add some fresh fruit. Today I added some craisins in :) I portion out everything and my body is now starting to get used to it but I DO snack...yogurt, bananas....and I drink a lot of water. That kind of keeps you full too!
  • sarahlouise7
    sarahlouise7 Posts: 198 Member
    Options

I think what he means is to eat often, as he didnt say to divide the calories equally in to meals. I personally agree with eating every 2.5 - 3 hrs. I have my 3 main meals but i also have a piece of fruit or a low fat yogurt in between, this works for me. To have a big main meal isnt going to help me with portion control so i am quite happy to eat little and often as to eat a big meal now makes me feel quite sick as my body now realises when its had enough, as that stuffed feeling you mention, is for me telling me iv eaten too much, i dont like to feel stuffed, but satisfied, and i eat the calories when i need them most. To of carried on eating a big main meal wasnt going to help me change my ways either. So for me, its little and often all the way :) and i never feel hungry :) It works for me, it could work for others??
  • sumeetn
    Options
    Drink more water :)

If the body is lacking water makes you feel more hungry
  • Yani51
    Yani51 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    BUMP - re: "Couple of things that may help:"