Weight or clothes size?

Options
Hi everyone

I've been on MFP since March now and am 2lb away from hitting 4 stone (56lb) lost. I really want to get there by the end of this year so that I can put it behind me and get to work on losing the last 2 stone (28lb) to get to my goal weight.

What I'd like to know is, for those of you who have met your goal or have lost a substantial amount, what has been more satisfying to you - the number on the scale or the clothes size you are wearing?

When I started, my weight was the most important goal for me. I wanted a BMI of under 25 so that I would be a "normal" weight for the first time in my life.

When I started I was a UK size 22 (US size 20), currently I am a 16 top (US 14) and small 18 bottom (US 16). I really wanted to be at my goal weight in time for my wedding dress fitting in July (we're getting married in October), but lately I've started worrying less about the scale and more about my clothes size. Being tall, I would love to be a size 14 (US 12), which is a nice curvy size for my height (I'm 5'10).

Which do you think is more important? Would you rather be a smaller size but still heavy, or a healthy weight but still wearing a bigger size?

Replies

• FutureSkinnyMama03
    FutureSkinnyMama03 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I think I'd say the smaller size but heavier because wouldn't that mean I was leaner & had more muscle. Which would also mean the heavier weight was healthier if it meant I had lower fat% and more muscle. Right? Maybe I'm overthinking this. :)
  • sheleen302
    sheleen302 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I definitely would rather be tighter and smaller, no matter what the scale says. I've found lifting heavy weights to be an excellent way of accomplishing this. Good luck on your fitting in July!
  • Jstash88
    Jstash88 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Well, weight is no indication of health, meaning that one can be slim but still unhealthy (no muscle, high cholesterol, and weak lung capacity) and the scale is not always the best indicator of size because muscle weighs more than fat, and if you lose fat and gain muscle the scale will go up but your clothing size will go down. In your case I say for now, work on how you'll look in that wedding dress. Congratulations! And make sure to post pictures when the time comes.
  • Narla444
    Narla444 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Go for clothing size! My fittest and fattest were the same weight, but two sizes apart.
  • SleepySin
    SleepySin Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Neither are where I would find satisfaction. Depending on your body type, clothing sizes can range quite a bit and the same for weight as previous posters have said. Numbers are just silly. You can use them to help reach your goals but ultimately, I go with how I look naked in the mirror :)
  • nashbear
    nashbear Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Neither are where I would find satisfaction. Depending on your body type, clothing sizes can range quite a bit and the same for weight as previous posters have said. Numbers are just silly. You can use them to help reach your goals but ultimately, I go with how I look naked in the mirror :)

^^^This
  • aschmidt679
    aschmidt679 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I gained 3 lbs this week, all muscle, and i have decided i couldn't be happier. My fiance has mentioned how much smaller and trimmer i am looking, even though the scale isn't moving down. Stick with how you feel, be healthy, and don't worry quite as much about the scale. Yes, have a goal, but don't become so attached to that number that you get defeated. And be confident! You've accomplished so much, you will be a gorgeous bride!
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    Clothes size for sure, don't give a damn what I weigh
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    The clothing size. In fact, maybe because I'm tall and didn't have that much to lose, the weight loss isn't that impressive (26 pounds). But the way I look - wow, what a difference. Every time I look in the mirror, slip on some clothes, or touch my legs, or bottom, or stomach, I'm reminded of what my body used to look/feel like when I was thin.

The clothes all being too big - even shoes and my stupid hat! - is pleasing but expected. But I had to laugh last night when I took out my banjo and I had to readjust the strap!
  • mrseelmerfudd
    mrseelmerfudd Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    id go by clothing size!!!
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Most definitely the clothes size. I've only lost about 15lbs since joining MFP (plus about 10 prior) but I've dropped 2+ pants sizes. The thrill of seeing the lower number on the scale wore off but every time I try on a small clothing item and it fits and looks good without any "omg, need to cover THAT area" sort of reaction, I'm happy about and proud of my weight loss all over again.
  • Tracey0013
    Tracey0013 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I have moved from the scale to the clothing size now that I am down 40 pounds. I seem to be losing inches more often than pounds lately :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Clothing, measurements and photos, definitely. No one else can see the number on the scale.

I'm leaner and look better at 135 than I did at 125.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    For me, it is the number of dimples in my hips and thighs. The fewer of those there are, the happier I am. Between the two, clothing size makes me happier.
  • maddieprice87
    maddieprice87 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I would rather be the smaller size and heavier, than the lower weight and less toned. xxx
  • jennfranklin
    jennfranklin Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Both are very satisfying to me, but I say the way my clothes fit, just a little more!
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    When I was losing, weight. Now that I'm maintaining, if I can put my size 4 jeans on and they are comfortable, I'm good, it doesn't matter when I scale says.
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    size every time, especially if your goal is a wedding dress. Nobody will know what you weigh but everyone will see what size you are, and if you are nicely toned or flabby!!! Just becuase you have a low weight doesnt make you healthy. My friend is a size 8 but is pretty flabby and cant run to the end of the street.
    Im down from 244lbs, UK 20-22 to UK 12, I do lots of exercise (weights / boxing / running). I still weigh 173 lbs but I'm only 2 inches / 1 size bigger than when i weighed 130lbs and did no exercise :-)
  • Sweetpea472
    Sweetpea472 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I really don't pay more that a second's worth of attention to the scale anymore. I'm looking more at body fat % and how I look in the mirror. I'm 5'3" and still wearing my size 12s. I need to get smaller clothes because my pants really do slide right off me, but I really like getting undressed at night and not having red marks all over my belly & hips from my clothing being too tight. :wink:
  • racheljonel
    racheljonel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    going down a size is much more satisfying for me! Sometimes I can't actually see a change in my body when I drop lbs....getting into smaller sizes makes it real.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!