Starting a diet during the holidays? WHAT?!?!?!?!

Replies

• RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    I hope it's not crazy because I only joined up a couple of days ago - after I spent the weekend eating so much I felt physically ill!

Now have lots of christmas functions to attend - which will no doubt make logging everything a challenge.
  • ThaRealNicki
    ThaRealNicki Posts: 322 Member
    good luck! I started mine 2 days after thanksgiving and ive been doing alright hopefully when christmas rolls around I think ill be fine.
  • littlewhittles
    littlewhittles Posts: 402 Member
    Nope! I started mine last year on 12/5. Everyone TOLD me I was crazy, but I did fine. I think it helped, actually, because my resolve was still really strong.
  • Going to add you! I'm in the same boat, decided to start after Thanksgiving. It's definitely difficult to be on healthy regimen and count cals during the holidays but I always end up overdoing it and telling myself that it's ok because tis the season! I figured that if I'm going to make a lifestyle change then I will have to figure out a way to make it work during all times of the year.

Good luck!
  • Grafty
    Grafty Posts: 28
    HI Caslowe,

I'm in the same boat too.
    Only just found this site and well no time like the present to start!! Christmas is just around the corner and food and alcohol will be right under our nose's so I thought..... eat what i wanted until I'm full and don't over do it on the sweet stuff or wine, beer... eat the right amount of carbs and protein and set yourself time to go and have a long medium paced run to burn off those cals to keep your goals insight. Easier sad than done ? depends how much you want to keep on track... If all fails just run for longer after all that temptation has gone... ITS GONNA BE HARD FOR ME!! add me to your friends list would be good to know how you get on

Grafty
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Dont kill yourself or expect miracles during the holidays. If you do half of your goals you are more ahead then you were a month ago.

this. don't beat yourself up because you ate a little too much, but treat the next couple of weeks as a time to become a bit more aware of what you are eating and how much exercise you are doing. Eat a little less but don't forget this is a time of festivities and you should enjoy it!!!
  • Crazy? Nooooo! I'm with ya dalin! It's brave! Why wait? There is no better time to take care of yourself like right now. :happy:
    Need some support or just a friend...add me.
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    So, is it crazy that I am attempting to start my official weight loss journey just two weeks before Christmas?!?!?! What the heck am I thinking?!?! All that delicious food will be everywhere, beckoning to me with its sweet delectability!!! AM I INSANE?!?!?!?! Well yes, probably...... but maybe just a little bit more desperate.
    It's just that I'm loathing these 20 lbs that I've put on since I got married in August, but the process of gaining them sure has been fun! Haha! I've been cooking all sorts of deliciously succulent joys for my sweet-toothed husband. I've never done the online community thing before though, so this is my attempt to actually make myself accountable to someone......anyone!!!! FOR REAL! I need your help Myfitnesspal World!!!!! Soooo..... this is my plan

MY PLAN
    1. Track those calories like crazy!!!
    2. Workout! I must workout! How is it that I have let myself get out of the habit of running 5 times a week?!?! It's given me a delightful 40 lb. gain overall! Yuck, yuck, yuck!
    3. Find people to be accountable to. Are you out there?!?!?!? I NEED YOUR HELP!!!!
    4. I'd also like to incoporate Paleo aspects into my diet plan. So to anyone who has experience with it: Your wisdom and knowledge will be a delight unto my soul!!

Good luck on your journey - I took a couple of weeks just to get my head around how "light lunches" were actually ridinkidonk amu nts of calories!!!
    Step 1 is spot on - get used to tracking and doing it as accurately as possible, but be aware you may be out by a few from time to time.
    Step 2 - if you haven't exercised for a while ease back into it, but seeing it in stark numbers - I did much the same as you when I had to quit sport through injury and put on 3st in 3 years.

Feel free to add me if you want for a bit of support and have fun here in MFP :-)
  • I'm doing the same thing... starting right before all the cookies and ham and all the good food comes out!!! My family is italian so all the good lasagna and meatballs and everything is coming out. Ugh!!! I'm crazy for starting now. But I can do it!
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Good for you. I like it that you are not waiting until the new year and then making it a resolution. Why wait. I am not trying to lose anymore but add me if you like. Yeah, impressed with the decision.
  • cnelson1974
    cnelson1974 Posts: 235 Member
    You can do it! I've been on my diet so long when I eat something sweet, it upsets my stomach. I'm not used to it! Jump on board, lots of great supportive people here! :)
  • it is not crazy it is SMART.

why wait until the new year to get healthy? the longer you wait the harder it is to get started. if you are ready do it. cause all you will do is keep making excuses on why you are not doing it.

i started a october weight loss challenge. everyone in the group has been doing so good, during all holidays we had all loses no gains. it keeps you in track.
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    You could do anything you put your heart to. You make it through the holidays, you can make it through anything.

feel free to add me if you need some support.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    I never log on holidays - and I mean the holiDAY not the whole season!!! :laugh: There aren't that many holidays to really affect me anyway and it's a pain to guesstimate all the various ingredients in everyone's dishes. I have maintained at my ideal weight easily doing this through several holidays with no problems. Right back to logging the next day, though. :drinker:
  • pixtotts
    pixtotts Posts: 552 Member
    OR... starting at the best possible time because you know it can only get easier.... x
  • felcandy
    felcandy Posts: 228 Member
    Be my friend!!! i am a newlywed too and my husband LOOOVES all the bad stuff i cook for him hahaha also, I started really getting serious about weight loss right before thanksgiving, but i survived without going too crazy.
  • maggziooo
    maggziooo Posts: 3 Member
    Right there with you! I've been wanting to tackle the weight I've gained since meeting my fiance (who's a chef) and started just two days ago. I look at it this way, if we can make it through holidays, we can make it through anything! Feel free to add me!
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    I started my commitment to being the fittest I can be on New Year's Eve 2011.... and I can tell you the best present you can give yourself during the holiday is a healthy lifestyle no matter where you are on the journey.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Good for you.

If you do nothing else at all, getting in to the habit of tracking accurately will give you a huge advantage once the holiday temptations are over. Don't go bananas if your diet isn't perfect yet- tracking is the best habit you can start. And exercise will be good to start, too.
  • rezn8
    rezn8 Posts: 263 Member
    Great time to start working on it. If you wait until January you'll regret it cause you'll probably have another 10lbs. to deal with.