I need help with this techy stuff..

Options
Fairysoul
Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
Any tech savvy peeps here? I want to get my husband something like a mp3 player... He downloads all his music to the comp and I need something that he can use and transfer music to it easy... Could anyone help me??

Replies

• Fairysoul
    Options
    Just so you all know I have no idea about any of this kind of stuff so please be nice!!!
  • Farmerj2000
    Farmerj2000 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Why not use a smart phone? You can transfer file from your computer to a phone
  • Fairysoul
    Options
    I have a cell but he doesn't yet..
  • alvalaurie
    alvalaurie Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Why not use a smart phone? You can transfer file from your computer to a phone

I did not know you could do this. Please tell us how? (I too am very technically challenged!)
    I have tons of CD's that I've burned on my computer that I would LOVE to have certain songs on my iPhone's iPod. How do I do that?
    31993703 Posts: 1,144
    Options
    iPod? Use iTunes to transfer the music.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    go to Best Buy or Fry's

they will love to help you pick the right gizmo
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'd avoid Apple. It's a simple user interface, but it's a pain to actually pull music off of it and transfer with other devices (especially if you purchase it through Apple). Beyond that, it's just a matter of size and brand. Your best bet is to look at current consumer reviews of the products on the market at this time. If you go with a non-Apple, you can typically just plug the device in, go into My Computer and drag and drop songs right into the folder. That easy.
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    Any tech savvy peeps here? I want to get my husband something like a mp3 player... He downloads all his music to the comp and I need something that he can use and transfer music to it easy... Could anyone help me??

Get a generic one, rather than an iPod, iTunes can be pain. Most of the non-iPod ones can be treated like a flash drive as far as moving music to.

I would MUCH rather have my MP3 separate from my phone. I don't carry a smart phone because I am really rough on things like that. My current non-smart phone has MP3 ability, BUT I don't want to run my phone battery down to play my music.

I have some type of RCA MP3 player. It was cheap and works great.

JM
  • steve1686
    steve1686 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I have a cell but he doesn't yet..
    get him a cell phone, will solve both problems
  • nashbear
    nashbear Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I went to Amazon and got an off brand MP3 player with 8 gig of memory for $50. Cheaper than all the apple products and is small and works great. Drag and drop on my computer folder.
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    This is a really open-ended question. I will try and make this easier for you.

1. If he doesn't want to fuss, then something like an iPod Shuffle or comparable product would be perfect. Plug it in to your computer, transfer songs, clip it on, and play your songs. Done.

2. If his main exercise is running, and he wants to track distance, then something like an iPod Nano or comparable product would be perfect. It has Nike+ built in and you can get the chip to put on your shoe, or in if you have Nike+ shoes. Very tiny and simple to use.

3. If he wants to be able to log detailed information, then a smartphone such an iPhone or Android phone is great. You get the benefit of apps that track your workouts and play music with your workout. There are apps that will auto customize your playlist depending on the type of or duration of your workout.

Hope this helps. There are a million other options. It depends on what he wants to do and what he wants to track. I could probably write a book there are so many variables and options. FYI: Don't get Apple product just because I used that as the example...most people can easily relate to them...I recommend finding a price point and product that fits HIS needs.
  • Fairysoul
    Options
    Ok everyone thanks! I am not found of apple I do know a little about that, but yeah I might just get him a generic one and if he wants he can pick something else that way he will get he wants but also a surprise from me, he didn't ask for one!!
  • RubyRed8067
    Options
    Just start pressing buttons, you'll figure it out. Most things now are so user friendly. If you have questions on the smart phone, go to your wireless carrier and they'll help you set it up. If you want an mp3 player, you've got a couple of options. An iPod (Apple) or Samnsung Galaxy player are two I'd recommend. Apple's player is easy enough to figure out. You'd just have do download iTunes, download the songs you want and plug in your player to load them. The problem with Apple is that if you have certain music that you didn't get from iTunes, they might not transfer. Samsung will allow you to transfer all types of audio file formats. Also, you tube is a great source of knowledge if you get stuck.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Unless he already uses iTunes, I would stay away from iPods.

I would recommend Creative Zen for a brand, myself, for a standalone MP3 player.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Just start pressing buttons, you'll figure it out.

be careful. you don't want to try this approach with a death box
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Any MP3 player you buy will come with software for transferring music. Ifs its an apple device then you will get instructions for iTunes or most other brands can use Windows Media Player.
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options

I would recommend Creative Zen for a brand, myself, for a standalone MP3 player.

Having an iPod doesn't tie you to iTunes. Lots of other software programs sync with iPods. Or you can load MP3's or music CDs into iTunes and then send them to an iPod. Plus you can still drag and drop music.

The Zen is a decent MP3 player though...but not the most intuitive interface and it still has some annoying bugs. Maybe it works perfect for you, but I had tried it and wasn't too happy.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

Having an iPod doesn't tie you to iTunes. Lots of other software programs sync with iPods. Or you can load MP3's or music CDs into iTunes and then send them to an iPod. Plus you can still drag and drop music.

The Zen is a decent MP3 player though...but not the most intuitive interface and it still has some annoying bugs. Maybe it works perfect for you, but I had tried it and wasn't too happy.
    No, but having iTunes ties you to iPods. :P

Never had any problems with my Zen's, except when I dropped one in a river - sound quality is really good if you pay for some decent headphones.
  • genghiskhen
    genghiskhen Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The iPod Nano is a very nice portable MP3 player. They are a little expensive, but they work well and are well designed. The other advantage is they are compatible with all sorts of devices. New car stereos support iPod cables and so do clock radios in many hotels. I am not an Apple fan boy; the iPod Nano is the only Apple device I own. I have bought two, and I will buy another if I lose this one.
  • genghiskhen
    genghiskhen Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I use Media Monkey to sync my iPod. It is fantastic for organizing MP3 libraries, burning MP3 CDs, and syncing mobile devices. I hate iTunes, but for less tech savvy people, iTunes is a solid choice.