Vegetables???

Options
jlmoses91
jlmoses91 Posts: 87 Member
Hi everyone! I'm trying very hard to increase my veggie intake and am loking for something other than snacking on raw veggies (which is fine) I'm looking for recipes main or side dishes for breakfast lunch and dinner. If anyone could share recipes or ideas it would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!!!!

Replies

• azalea617
    azalea617 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I really like doing roasted veggies as a side dish and sometimes as my whole meal if I make a lot. I'll use Brussel sprouts (which really are good, especially roasted!), cauliflower, and carrots; drizzle some olive oil and sprinkle some salt/pepper/garlic powder over them. Put in oven at about 400 until they have browned up a bit...usually between 20-30 minutes depending on your oven. All of these are super yummy, but carrots especially are amazing!

Also, try kale chips. Fresh kale leaves, same seasoning as above, or add lemon juice too, around the same amount/temp for oven. They get super crispy and get eaten very quickly! Fresh kale salads are pretty fantastic as well. :) Hope that helps a little!
  • JeffinRaleigh
    Options
    I made a beet-walnut salad over the weekend and it was really good!

http://paleodietlifestyle.com/beet-walnut-salad/
  • 3rdxacharm
    3rdxacharm Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Ditto on the roasted vegetables. I just got in the hang of the side dish and I love it - quick and easy.
  • NuggetLovesEdie
    NuggetLovesEdie Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Steamed broccoli, carrots, and kale.

Sauteed kale in a little bit of olive oil and garlic, finish with fresh lemon juice.

ETA: I've been making "salad in a jar" consistently for a few weeks now for lunch. I love it. Also got a BIG thumbs up from the nutritionist at my doc's office.
    http://www.thekitchn.com/salad-in-a-jar-make-a-week-of-lunches-173014
    http://heartofwisdom.com/heartathome/2012/06/01/how-to-make-salad-in-a-jar/

I make them on Sunday, and have 5 "grab and go" lunches.
  • crazylovergrl
    crazylovergrl Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Steamed broccoli with pesto... I pretty much go to target and raid the frozen veggie section. I skip peas and missed veggies though, cuz that's gross. Also, roasted brussel sprouts coated in olive oil is devine!!!
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    There are all kinds of single serve choices in the frozen food aisle. My favorites are the Green Giant Healthy Heart, Healthy Weight, etc. I also like the Kroger brands. They have just a mild flavoring and are quick and easy to heat up (great for work or eating on the go).
  • Stormborn25
    Options
    Roast Veggie salad is one of my treat meals. Roast carrots, onion, kumara and pumpkin in sesame oil then serve hot with herbs, pine nuts and a crumble of feta - NOM

Roasted Brussels sprouts I so agree with

I also like making a weird salad with steamed Broccoli and Cauliflower, with a squeeze of lemon juice and silvered almonds
  • shutterbug282
    shutterbug282 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I really like making vegetable chili. :) It's fast and simple, and you can put pretty much anything you want in there. :)
    I really like having steamed veggie bags around the house, just pop them in the microwave and it's done. :D
  • djc315
    djc315 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Ratatouille! Yum!
  • Pnknlvr96
    Pnknlvr96 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    If you like eggs, add them to eggs or egg whites for breakfast with a little bit of reduced fat cheese or black beans and salsa. YUM!

I make veggie chili as well, perfect for winter months.
  • Nicki_101
    Nicki_101 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Vegi smoothies in the morning
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Roasted Broccoli or steemed
    Roasted asparagus or steemed or sauteed
    sauteed green beans
    Wilted Spinach and/or Kale
    boiled chard
    boiled chollard greens

Lots of good stuff out there...I also do a lot of stews this time of year and they're pretty heavy on the veg.
  • kaervaak
    kaervaak Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I pretty much mix veggies into everything. Ground beef? Add some finely minced sauteed cabbage. Chicken breast? Cube it up and cook with broccoli and top with some cheddar cheese. Eggs? Add sauteed spinach and zucchini to your scrambles/omelets. Eggplant is an awesome veggie that goes with just about any kind of protein. Sliced steak with eggs and grilled asparagus is amazingly delicious. Avocados are amazing with pretty much everything.

Just start adding veggies to stuff you cook and find combos that work for you.
  • tmpayton
    tmpayton Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    some good ideas here....love the salad in a jar idea!
  • alyja09
    alyja09 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    My all time favorite veggie-loaded meal is also quick and easy. Slice some meat very thin. I like using steak and shrimp (which I just leave whole). Cut up some carrots, cabbage, bell pepper, zucchini, broccoli, etc. thinly. Mix together some soy sauce, garlic-chili sauce (or sarracha), ginger, garlic, lime/lemon juice, and peanut butter. Put it all in a big saute pan and cook in your favorite fat. I like ghee and coconut oil for this. I don't measure anything so I can't be any more specific than that, unfortunately.
  • jsidel126
    jsidel126 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I started buying certain frozen cut up vegetabes that I liked and adding them to dishes. They give bulk to the dish without extra calories. Most dishes have enough seasoning/taste that I don't taste the vegetables. Now I buy 2-3 bags a week of a variety of vegatables and fresh vegetables when in season and find ways to incorporate them into my food. Fill you up with noticably less calories than the same bulk with few to no vegetables.
  • AubreySue81
    AubreySue81 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I really like doing roasted veggies as a side dish and sometimes as my whole meal if I make a lot. I'll use Brussel sprouts (which really are good, especially roasted!), cauliflower, and carrots; drizzle some olive oil and sprinkle some salt/pepper/garlic powder over them. Put in oven at about 400 until they have browned up a bit...usually between 20-30 minutes depending on your oven. All of these are super yummy, but carrots especially are amazing!

Also, try kale chips. Fresh kale leaves, same seasoning as above, or add lemon juice too, around the same amount/temp for oven. They get super crispy and get eaten very quickly! Fresh kale salads are pretty fantastic as well. :) Hope that helps a little!

I :heart: roasted veggies, but hadn't thought of kale chips. I'm definitely going to have to try those out! :happy:
  • To avoid veggie boredom, I eat cooked veggies one day, raw the next. Try vegetable soup with your lunch, then roasted with dinner one day, the next day have raw veggies/dip with lunch and a big salad with dinner. Who said you must live on salads to lose weight?
  • madvt209
    madvt209 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I was the same when I started my "diet", so don't be worried! There are some good veggies out there!

You should try making a "green smoothie"
    There are tons of recipes out there that shift what foods you can put into it. Sounds gross, but spinach, with bannnas, kale and pineapples, with healthy apple juice and ornage juice is a good one.. I can send you one link for the green smoothie. ONE tip- DON'T add as much spinach and romain as they tell you- it will taste not that great.

=)

Also, try stir frying some veggies with olvie oil and stuff. My favortie dish is brussel sprouts with oil and vinegar and olive oil with spices, it's so good!