Geocaching

Options
Have you heard of geocaching? Wonder what it is all about? Want to try it out before buying a gps? I LOVE this sport, and would love to have you "cache the fever" too! I live in Southern New Hampshire, Rochester area. Let me know if you are interested.
If you don't know what geocaching is, check out www.geocaching.com.

Replies

• bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I've been with my best friend a time or two- it is pretty fun!
  • scarecrow41
    Options
    Its about the greatest thing in the world. I live in Chicago and my brother and I drove out to a forest preserve in the woods last night to do s+ome difficult cache's. We ended up walking 9+ miles jumping over creeks, climbing hills, crawling under bridges, and trudging through the snow. I can't imagine how many calories we burned and muscle groups we used.

Like I said though, we did a few of the more difficult caches. I've seen them vary from driving up to the spot and signing the log book in a matter of minutes to intense off-road exploration. There are literally hundreds of caches for EVERYONE. I've taken my 3 year olds on some, and others I've felt a mild sense of physical danger, haha.

Get into it if you can, its a super fun way to get out and explore both nature and your usual surroundings with a different perspective.
  • LifesPilgrim
    LifesPilgrim Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    We've done a bunch of it. Actually had a cache for a while at a nearby park but it got destroyed during a controlled burn. Found a couple back in December during a backcountry hike. Will be looking for another one this weekend to move a travel bug.

Your right, its very addictive. Another cool thing is to try and find survey markers for the geological service.
  • HollabackGirl
    Options
    I am a caching maniac...lol. My buddy and I have been doing long hikes and we attend caching events. It's a great way to walk/hike without feeling like you are just walking/hiking. I've always needed to walk for a purpose..not just for the walk itself and this is awesome. Feeds my inner geek too. I have about 550 finds under my still too ample belt (lol) and have hidden a few. For me it's a great way to go places I would have never thought of going and there are such hidden treasures in the places the game brings you to.
  • magglett
    magglett Posts: 2,000
    Options
    Hi there MFPers ... I just did a search on MFP for Geocaching and came across this thread. A friend of mine just started geocaching and is so excited about it ... she told me about it because she knows I love hiking and thought this might add a new dimension to it. It all looks so interesting, I've checked out the web site and am now looking into getting a handheld gps, and I've registered for the basic membership too. I was walking a trail the other day and saw a couple of women with their gps's and pointing out into a field so I asked them if they were geocaching and they were. One of them has been at it for a couple of years and has logged over 900 caches ... holy cow eh? I can't wait to get started.
  • magglett
    Options
    Well, I've been Geocaching now since May and I must say ... it's definitely my new addiction. I use a handheld Garmin with a Geocaching program that allows me to download 5 caches per day from their site. It's been awesome, I'm constantly amazed at the things I've discovered right here in my own neighbourhood ... trails, beaches, lighthouses, cemeteries, streams, waterfalls, you name it ...I had no idea these things were here, and I've lived here my whole life!!! My BFF and I went on a weekend road trip so I found out what caches would be in the area we were going to and we cached there too ... seriously, I love doing this and I get great pictures and memories along the way. If you haven't tried it yet I highly recommend it for fresh air and exercise :flowerforyou:
  • HollabackGirl
    Options
    Glad you are loving caching...Sooooo fun! What is your caching handle? Mine is Hollaback girl .... ;D
  • magglett
    Options
    Mine's Magglett. I'm at work right now so it won't let me into the Geocaching site but I'll try to hook up with you at home.
    i-love-geocaching-1-color-front_design.png
  • HollabackGirl
    Options
    That's funny.....my Daughter's geocaching handle is Mugglette :D
  • magglett
    Options
    Glad you are loving caching...Sooooo fun! What is your caching handle? Mine is Hollaback girl .... ;D
    I tried to find you but I couldn't ...
  • HollabackGirl
    Options
    I just added you as a friend through gc.com :)
  • magglett
    Options
    Right on ... I'll check it out when I get home. It's blocked here at work for some reason :wink:
  • bjmk19047
    bjmk19047 Posts: 123
    Options
    OMG geocaching is SO MUCH FUN!!! I actually take the kids with me and let them use the Garmin to find the cache. We've released tracking bugs into the world that have made it all over the U.S. and we track them maybe once per month. Last spring when my BF and I took the kids to one of the state parks for the day, a couple was geocaching and they were right next to the trail, and having trouble zeroing in on it, so the kids and I "helped" them. :smile:
  • magglett
    Options
    I agree ... Geocaching is way fun. My BFF and I go often. We were hikers for years then someone told me about Geocaching in May of 2009 and we've been at it ever since. We've found so many new and beautiful places and met some great people either on the trails or at the events. I'm so happy we found this. I have a Garmin too. I know someone who uses her i-phone with the app downloaded and it's way amazing. If the monthy cost of an i-phone ever becomes reasonable I'll be using that app but for now I love my Garmin. My BFF and I were just saying how much we miss getting out there. The weather here is so cold that it hurts just to breathe. Come on Spring time ... we miss you!!!
    31950124_125x125.png
  • girlsaint
    girlsaint Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I am a cacher but have not been active for a couple of years. Maybe time to pick it up again...a reason to get a new GPS?
    Maybe I will make that a reward once I hit ONEderland :)
  • magglett
    Options
    I am a cacher but have not been active for a couple of years. Maybe time to pick it up again...a reason to get a new GPS?
    Maybe I will make that a reward once I hit ONEderland :)
    That's a great reward for ONEderland ... wait ... I didn't think of rewarding myself for ONEderland ... I hit that this week!!! Woo Hoo ... I'm going to have to do some shopping!!!!
    Its+Saturday+Lets+Shop.jpg