PB2 vs. Regular Peanut Butter

Options
KL_24
KL_24 Posts: 28 Member
Debating on trying out PB2 because I heard its much better for you than reg pb..any opinions?

Replies

• FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Debating on trying out PB2 because I heard its much better for you than reg pb..any opinions?
    Define "better".
    If you are trying to consume fat, it's worse...
  • axialmeow
    axialmeow Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    It has less calories. But real pb is not bad for you. Just calorie dense.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    As far as calorie and fat numbers, yes. I eat it everyday- with bananas, in a protein shake, with an apple, etc.- I've even baked with it a few times. It allows me to eat more for less fat.

It's basically ground up peanuts with the oil removed. I personally like it better than regular peanut butter now.
  • tschaff04
    tschaff04 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Less fattening/high cals....yes. Better for you?? No way!!
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    PB2 is a processed food and therefore bad
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    It's great for cooking too. I use it to make my protein pancakes and sometimes I put it in my oatmeal. If you're a jar and spoon kind of peanut butter lover, you might be slightly disappointed, but it's definitely better than nothing.
  • sblake204
    sblake204 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Based on findings, they said that PB2 although having fewer calories, it has less protein, fiber, and Vitamin E than peanut butter.
    it's totally up to you.

i would recommend going with good old fashion natural peanut butter. it's a good fat. yeah calories are high, but all the other nutrients are there.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    i think you should take into account how much PB you can eat. my mom for example, is addicted to peanut butter, and pretty much can't have it without eating the whole, or half a container. i got her pb2 as a substitute. i think it's (sadly) the sugared up vegetable oil blend which makes it creamy and addictive.

my vote is for PB2, AND for a natural, no additives peanut butter. also almond butter. omnoms.
  • PremierFiguier
    Options
    I use it in my protein shakes and enjoy it. I've also used it as a dip for apples, and on toast.
    I really like the chocolate PB2 best.

as has been said, nutritionally, peanut butter is probably the winner, but if you're watching fat and calories, it makes sense to sub it out. And it's great to cook with(as also has been said).
  • Metspride129
    Metspride129 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    i use it all the time and love it. got the regular and chocolate versions. use it in shakes, and sometimes if i want a snack and dont have many cals left, i'll take a tbsp and just eat it dry and suck on it. it is def worth a shot if ur watching over ur calories
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    PB2 has been a diet saver for me. I love peanut butter but not the 250 calorie a spoon price tag. PB2 is something I can sprinkle on stuff with little guilt. sugar free pudding, PB2 and a dot of cool whip free is the best late at night.
  • KL_24
    Options
    Great..thanks for all the opinions! Love getting mixed reviews so I know both sides. I'm a big peanut butter fan and can eat a whole jar plain if I wanted to lol. A scoop here and there adds up for sure. Lately I've been good at school and only taking 1 tbsp at a time but at home its harder to resist because I know I can just go back for more lol. If I can find PB2 near home I think I'm going to try it..nothing to lose! Thanks everyone!
  • stef_monster
    stef_monster Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend's brother introduced me to PB2, and I love it. I agree with most of what everyone else has said- lower fat, lower calorie, blah blah; but I also like that you can control the consistency. If you're eating it on a sandwich or toast, you can use less water and make it thick, but if you're using it as a dip you can thin it out so it goes farther. It's not the same as regular peanut butter, but it's got my vote.
  • PremierFiguier
    Options
    If you can't find it near home, I personally bought it on amazon. good prices, too.
    I believe that the whole foods near me sells it, but amazon had a good price.
  • KL_24
    Options
    Yeah i think im going to check whole foods and GNC first at home then il order it off amazon if necessary! Thank you!