Help me with my salsa chicken please :)

Options
Kelley528
Kelley528 Posts: 319 Member
I have seen numerous recipes on here for crockpot salsa chicken that it inspired me to make my own tonight. I did search some of the recipe threads but the first 3 i saw for salsa chicken were pretty much the same.

I am not a cooking with cream cheese fan or a bean fan. Does anyone have suggestions on how I should cook my salsa chicken in the crockpot?

I have a container of medium chunky vegetable salsa that I plan on using but I dont know if I should experiment with that alone. Ideas would be appreciated.

Thank you :happy:

Replies

• _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    I rub taco seasoning all over the chicken first then pour the salsa over the chicken and set the slow cooker for however long. Gives it an extra kick!
  • goodhuh
    Options
    Thats all i do. Cut up boneless skinless chicken, throw in some salsa and cover on low until done. Add a little water to make sure it doesnt burn. The salsa is all the flavor. When chicken is done shredd it up. Make taco's , burritos, add to salad ......
  • gyure93
    Options
    I use chicken breast & salsa & that's it. I know some people use taco seasoning, but it doesn't really need it. I let it cook for about 5-6 hours & it is delicious, it is also good the next day shredded on a tortilla.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I throw a little seasoning on the chicken (taco seasoning, onion powder, garlic powder, Sazon, chili powder, just whatever you like) and then just the salsa. It really is good.
    You could also throw in a can of cream of mushroom (unless you don't like canned soups), and it makes it very creamy.
    Or once the chicken and salsa is done, shred the chicken then mix in a couple TB of sour cream.

But honestly just the salsa and chicken is pretty good.
  • Kelley528
    Kelley528 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone.

I wasnt sure if the salsa would be enough on its own. It seems like it is :tongue:
  • jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I add in one or two cans of black beans too. Good complex carbs, fiber, and some additional vegetable proteins to help me feel full and add to the meal with more than just chicken and salsa.
  • Touched670
    Touched670 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I just put chicken breast or thighs (skinless and boneless) in the crock pot and cover with the salsa. cook on low while you're at work. If I forget to put it in the crockpot, I cook it in an iron skillet with a lid and it turns out just as good! Served with some rice, veggies and homemade tortillas :smile:
  • mdcjmom
    mdcjmom Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I like it spicy and add jalapenos
  • klecourtois
    klecourtois Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I cook with a can of Rotel (diced tomatoes & green chilies) and then add salsa to make sure the chicken is covered! The chilis give that extra kick!
  • fisherlassie
    fisherlassie Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I add some plain full fat balkan style yogurt to make it a bit creamy. At the end right before I serve it!
  • cygnetpro
    cygnetpro Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    This sounds really delicious (and easy)! Do you all brown the chicken first, or just put it into the crockpot raw?
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I have seen numerous recipes on here for crockpot salsa chicken that it inspired me to make my own tonight. I did search some of the recipe threads but the first 3 i saw for salsa chicken were pretty much the same.

I am not a cooking with cream cheese fan or a bean fan. Does anyone have suggestions on how I should cook my salsa chicken in the crockpot?

I have a container of medium chunky vegetable salsa that I plan on using but I dont know if I should experiment with that alone. Ideas would be appreciated.

Thank you :happy:

I take 4 frozen chicken breasts (boneless/skinless), 1 package of taco seasoning, jar of salsa, and maybe a 1/4 - 1/2 cup of water. Put in crock pot on low for about 8 hours. Shred. Voila. Perfect for tacos, nachos, etc...
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I add in one or two cans of black beans too. Good complex carbs, fiber, and some additional vegetable proteins to help me feel full and add to the meal with more than just chicken and salsa.

Good idea. I put in corn and diced potatoes.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    This sounds really delicious (and easy)! Do you all brown the chicken first, or just put it into the crockpot raw?

Throw it in raw. In fact, I've put mine in frozen solid. Just takes a little longer to cook, but works just fine.
  • mbcasey2009
    mbcasey2009 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Google Jamie Eason's salsa chicken. Basically chicken breasts, salsa of choice, and whatever veggies you want to add, I usually throw in onion, bell pepper, and tomato. Shred it and eat with tortillas, over rice, or (my fave) is lettuce wraps!
  • amv1023
    amv1023 Posts: 61 Member
    Options

Just put it in there raw! Sometimes I forget to thaw the chicken, so I just put it in the crock pot frozen and cook it a little longer. It works either way. I also discovered that shredding it with my electric hand mixer saves alot of time! I can shred 5 lbs of chicken breasts in 30 seconds :)
  • fredf2112
    fredf2112 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I love salsa but so much of the store bought is high in sodium. I put chicken breast in the crock pot along with a pint or so of hot green chilies some garlic, chili powder and whatever else looks good at the moment. Then let it cook until the chicken is easy to shred.

I use it to stuff omelets or in baked taquitos or on salads or etc...
  • stephross88
    stephross88 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    You can also add fresh lime juice and chopped cilantro. It really makes it much tastier.
  • ki4yxo
    ki4yxo Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Sounds like tortilla soup. You don't need a crockpot for that.

3 cups shredded pork or chicken
    2 15 oz. cans black beans un-drained
    1 15 oz. can Mexican stewed tomatoes or Rotel tomatoes
    1 cup salsa
    14.5 oz. can tomato sauce
    Tortilla chips
    Shredded cheddar cheese
    sour cream

Combine all ingredients, except chips, cheese, and sour cream.
    In a large pot and let simmer at least 20 minutes, (but the longer the better)
    To serve, place a handful of chips into each bowl and ladle soup over chips,
    top with cheese and a dollop of sour cream.
  • tmstebb
    Options
    4 skinless chicken breast (bone in or not)
    1 jar of salsa
    1 can crushed pineapple(not drained)
    1pkg taco seasoning mix (I use 1/2 of pkg for less sodium)
    1 med onion chopped
    All in crockpot