Sick, Fat, and Nearly Dead

2»

Replies

• chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    How do you get sufficient protein and fats if you only eat fruit and vegetables?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    I prefer to drink my calories in the form of lattes or wine.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Every time I saw the guy in the movie drink that green junk, I nearly threw up. It breaks one of my cardinal rules, or actually two that I have for my lifestyle food plan:

1. I stay in my calorie levels for losing or maintaining.
    2. I eat mostly real, unprocessed food that provides a variety of important nutrients.
    3. I enjoy everything I eat.
    4. I can sustain the plan for the long haul. (time, expense, satisfaction)

Juicing breaks rules #3 and #4. Actually, if you consider that it is a low fiber diet, it breaks rule #2 as well.
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Did you also watch Forks Over Knives?

I also don't agree 100% with them, but both Certainly got me thinking!
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    How do you get sufficient protein and fats if you only eat fruit and vegetables?

Shrug nuts in a juicer would be strange
  • meeper123
    Did you also watch Forks Over Knives?

I also don't agree 100% with them, but both Certainly got me thinking!

not yet but thought I might later :)
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member

Believe it or not, there is protein and fat in veggies, except I believe it's called a "healthy fat"
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    I still have to watch this! As for his methodology...it worked. I've never had an autoimmune disease. I was obese, but never morbidly obese. So I can't judge.

I do know i don't have the patience or the room in my fridge to start juicing. I dump a scoop of Shakeology in some coconut milk and get the same, prolly even more, benefits. Juicing for the lazy chick! lol I only drink it as a supplement, though, around a mostly healthy eating plan.

I lost my weight back in the 80s by exercising, eating soup every day for lunch and portion control. To each his/her own, so long as they can maintain it and don't develop an eating disorder. And he used his story to help others.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member

Believe it or not, there is protein and fat in veggies, except I believe it's called a "healthy fat"

I know. And to get a decent amount of protein or fat I think you'll be eating at least 5lbs of veggies per day. (not to mention the fact that the protein is not a complete protein)
  • Mitzimum
    Mitzimum Posts: 163 Member
    I watched this show ages ago and thought it very inspiring! It so great to watch someone's success story. I didn't do the full juice diet but I did start juicing for breakfast. Some mornings that was all I had and sometimes I'd have food as well. The differences I noticed were my energy levels, I was suddenly so energetic and I started losing weight simply because I was more active. It was also great to have in a drink bottle in the middle of a lecture or at work if I got hungry. I found it cost me about $15 a week which really isn't that much and that was just having it for breakfast and maybe once throughout the day. Its certainly not for everyone but I definitely think its at least a great supplement for most people.
  • meeper123
    I still have to watch this! As for his methodology...it worked. I've never had an autoimmune disease. I was obese, but never morbidly obese. So I can't judge.

I do know i don't have the patience or the room in my fridge to start juicing. I dump a scoop of Shakeology in some coconut milk and get the same, prolly even more, benefits. Juicing for the lazy chick! lol I only drink it as a supplement, though, around a mostly healthy eating plan.

I lost my weight back in the 80s by exercising, eating soup every day for lunch and portion control. To each his/her own, so long as they can maintain it and don't develop an eating disorder. And he used his story to help others.

well you look great so something worked :)
  • dena789
    dena789 Posts: 165 Member
    It does not seem to be available on Netflix, at least not here in Canada. Also, the hulu.com site does not work in Canada either. Bummer!
  • RiverDancer68
    RiverDancer68 Posts: 221 Member
    I really want to see that as well is it on netflix?

I believe Forks Over Knives is on Netflix! (I watched it, and I don't know where else I would have seen it online?) I highly recommend it; it is a real eye opener and well filmed.
  • RiverDancer68
    I prefer to drink my calories in the form of lattes or wine.

:drinker:
  • RiverDancer68
    My mother loaned me her Vitamix and it is amazing (though costly!)...you throw everything in there and then drink it...no pulp to worry about because it goes into the drink. Also makes peanut butter, soup and ice cream...maybe I'll keep it :wink:
  • Go to their website www.jointhereboot.com They explain all the amounts of protein that you get from plants and how much healither it is. I think a lot of Americans assume that they need much more than their bodies actually need. Plant based diets do so much for ''curing'' diseases and bringing around full body health. I love this documenary as well as Forks over Knives and Vegucated which I think all 3 of these films are on netflix. Hah when I bought my juicer they gave me a copy of Fat Sick and Nearly Dead with it. During juice fasts it's amazing how great your body will feel and how healthy and vibrant you can feel. The first 3 days or so of a juice fast are like a hangover but once you get through that part it's smooth sailling. But like I said check out the website. It has a strong community of juicers on there and people who go after that lifestyle. For myself I perfer juicing in the mornings and experimenting. My husband has a throat disorder so through jucing we can actually make sure he is able to get down everything he needs too in one day. I think it's wonderful but obviously not for everyone. I guess my overall plan with it is to be comfortable enough to do a 15 day juice fast someday and just see what kind of results I can get personaly for my body and use it as a stepping stone to cut more animal products out of my life. Not that I don't love them, I just don't love what they do to me.