DVD recommendations that won't kill my knees?

Options
I've been doing Slim in 6 and the squats, lunges and plies are killing my knees! Particularly my right knee. So I haven't done it for 3 days trying to give my knee a rest and it's still achy. I don't want to fall off the wagon - this is the first time in ages I've stuck with something for more than a few weeks, but I don't think I can continue with the SI6. Any other recommendations for a DVD that combines strength training with cardio that is easy on the knees?

Replies

• mvl1014
    mvl1014 Posts: 531
    Options
    I can't give you a DVD rec, but I do know many cyclists who started out as runners and had to switch after knee problems. Cycling takes most of the stress off your knees because the bulk of your weight is supported by the seat. If you can't bike, swimming is also a good alternative. :-)
  • Fancy_Nancy2
    Fancy_Nancy2 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I have bad knees to I have been doing slim in 6 If you are just on the 1 st workout still thats the one that has the most plies. And I can't do the floor work but now I feel my knee is stronger but only you know what your body can handle. Good luck
  • Squrtea
    Squrtea Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I do a combo of ChaLEAN Extreme and the Brazil Butt Lift. I modify the jumping to save my knees.. So far I those haven't bugged me at all but I pay close attention to keeping my Knees behind my feet. I have never done Slim in 6. I just know Chalean Harps on how to protect your knees and it seems to be working.
  • xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I can make 2 recommendations on your form that might help:

1. When you squat, make sure you are putting weight through your heels, not through the balls of your feet or your toes. You should be able to wriggle your toes, or if your balance is good, actually lift your toes while squatting. That will take a lot of pressure off your knees.

2. When you lunge, you want to bend your knees both to a 90 degree angle. Your trunk should go straight up & down like a piston, not forwards, otherwise you will create an angle in your knees that put too much pressure on them.

Oh yes, and make sure you are using good shoes!
  • lecarter
    Options
    My favorite DVD to work out with is Denise Austin: Mat Workout based on JH Pilates....it is low impact and great for strength training, balance, and toning. No cardio though, I would reccommend swimming or aqua jogging for great low impact cardio. Try the DVD though, it is a great one to do on a day when you dont feel like working hard...but in the end you will realize how hard you work doing it even though it seems simple! Good luck!