i need to understand....

NewBeginning2010
NewBeginning2010 Posts: 235 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
why does mfp suggest 1200 for me? if i do my bmr it is 1758...what does this mean??? I want to lose 2 pounds a week.....

Replies

• mvl1014
    mvl1014 Posts: 531
    MFP won't suggest under 1200 for you...

1758 is the number of calories you need to consume per day--at your current weight--to exist. In order to lose weight, you need to eat less than this. As you lose weight, your BMR will go down and subsequently, so will the number of calories you need to exist.

2lbs/week = 1000 calorie deficit per day. Meaning you'd have to eat 758. 758 is not healthy, so MFP won't allow it. You need to be eating 1200 and take the 500 cal deficit/day which equals 1lb/week. But like I said, as you lose the weight, 1200 will be less and less of a deficit. Add in exercise to burn more calories and get a deficit while still eating 1200.

HTH!
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    MFP will never recommend less than 1200 cals per day. That is considered the "bare minimum." To lose 2lbs per week, you would need a deficit of 1000 cals per day. With a BMR of 1758, that would leave you with only 758 per day! Stick with what MFP suggests for you for several weeks, and see how much you're losing per week. I had mine set at 1lb a week when I started, but for the first 2 or so months, I averaged 2lbs per week. It has since slowed down, and I am now at an average of 1lb per week.

Check out the posts for "newbies" on the general diet and weight loss help board. There is a TON of information on those that really helps explain a lot about how and why MFP does certain things.
  • epoeraven
    epoeraven Posts: 458 Member
    BMR is the amount of calories that your body would burn on its own in one day without exercise. While I don't beging to understand the whole formual that MFP uses.....generally, to lose 1 pound per week you want to have at least a 500 calorie deficit. So taking your BMR of 1758 minus 500 seems pretty close to what would be right.
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    BMR and Total Daily Energy Expenditure are not the same

Your TDEE is 1758(1.2 or 1.5) if you're sedentary or lightly active respectively.

Your Maintenance is probably 2100 (if the calculator is right)- if you're sedentary. To lose 2lbs per week eat 1200 and burn 100 calories every day.

This link will explain
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/30898-bmr-vs-tdee-what-mfp-is-telling-you?hl=TDEE&page=2#posts-1013932
  • mvl1014
    mvl1014 Posts: 531

She said BMR; what indicates to you that 1758 is her TDEE and not her BMR?
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    It should be read her TDEE is 1758 (her BMR) times 1.2 if she is sedentary which would give her a Maintenance or TDEE of approximately 2100. The parenthesis should be read as times. I hope that clears up your confusion.

She said BMR; what indicates to you that 1758 is her TDEE and not her BMR?
  • NewBeginning2010
    NewBeginning2010 Posts: 235 Member
    Oh im so confused! :sad:
    Why would it allow me to set for 2lbs a week if its not possible and they dont allow under 1200....wouldnt it make sence to only allow me to choose a goal that i can actually achieve with 1200 calories a day? :grumble:

For me its sadness when i have it set for 2 pounds a week and i lose 1 or less....(assuming i followed the calorie counting to a t) :yawn:
This discussion has been closed.