Is hitting calories or macros more important?

Options
I aim to eat around 1,800 net calories a day (although I don't count anymore...I try to estimate it) to lose body fat since I lift heavy 3x a week and do intense cardio 2x a week, and I want to make sure that I'm fueling my body enough to keep me going. Some days it's hard for me to eat that much though, especially living on a college campus where I eat in the dining hall just twice a day. I'm a vegetarian, so that limits calorie/nutrient-dense foods that I could eat in the dining hall, so sometimes I'll indulge in less healthy options just to get in enough calories for the day. Is this okay, or should I just stick to hitting my macros, even if my calories are below where they should be?

Also ignore my weight loss tracker...I haven't weighed myself in a long time, but I have seen a reduction in body fat.

Replies

• EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    First, I'll say good luck with the estimation attempt. I hope it works for you. I end up being terrible at it when I try to stop logging, but you might be great at it.

I'll be curious to see what other people, who are more articulate on the subject, say, but I think that given your goals and activity, hitting both your calorie *and* macro goals are important.

My non-professional sense on the subject is that if you find it hard to to actually eat that much in a day, then cut down on the intense cardio and stick closer to your macro goals. Though I don't know how much you're doing in those 2 days of cardio.
  • 120weeks
    120weeks Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I only eat fillers if I really want that particular food.....not to just reach a caloric goal.

I eat a 30% protein diet so that is my priority most days of the week. Second comes the calories. I need to stick to my caloric goals or else I will not lose weight. Carbs and fats fall where they may. I try to eat veggies/fruits most days.

Like PP, I think you should do both. With cafeteria food, you should be able to know their go-to, high protein sources and create a menu for yourself "most" meals of the week. I think you should really consider tracking your macros until you know you are getting enough protein for your lifting.
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Both are equally important.
  • filming_ghosts
    Options
    I tracked my macros for awhile, but it was just stressful for me because food was constantly on my mind and I kept having to think of ways to get in enough protein. I might consider it again though, thanks for the feedback everyone!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    calories for weight gain/loss
    macros for well being
  • wildfirediva
    Options
    Both are equally important.
    calories for weight gain/loss
    macros for well being

Yeah what they ^^^ said....
  • homeyjosey