Running and gaining weight

Options
I will try to keep this short and sweet, but I also want to introduce myself. I am Holly, and am 27. In May of 2010 I weighed 230 lbs (I am 5'8"). I got pregnant, and was very ill the whole pregnancy and lost 40 lbs. I ended up gaining 11 back toward the end of my pregnancy. In Jan of 2011 I started weight watchers and 30 day shred. I was around 175-180 lbs. I gave up, and was back up to 185 by August of 2011. Then, I started the Atkins Diet. I got down to 172 by October 2011.

In the past year I have yo-yo'ed between 170-180. I decided that I would start running on Nov 1st (at 170 lbs). I am doing the couch to 5K program, except I run 5 to 6X a week, rather than the 3 days they suggest. I run/walk for 30 min each time (or more- depends on how I am feeling). In the first month I was up to 174 lbs. Talk about a FREAK OUT. I was pissed. Working my butt off, staying under 1200 cal a day and GAINING! Granted, I did have to adjust my diet, bc I couldn't work out on 30 carbs a day. As of today I was at 170.6.

I guess my question is, when does the weight start falling off from running? Any suggestions? And I know that muscles weighs more than fat and I should check inches and blabla. . . But I want to see some on the scale results! Also, I would love some motivating friends on here, so add me :)

Replies

• TXHunny84
    TXHunny84 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Jaybew99
    Jaybew99 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi Holly,

I am certainly not an expert. With that disclaimer, my guess is that you are not consuming enough calories to keep your metabolism up. I offer this link to an old MFP that may be of help: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

I wish you the best of luck. It is certainly frustrating to be working so hard without seeing the desired results. I hope someone more knowledgeable answers this post with some helpful insight.

-J
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Why are you eating under 1200 calories a day if you're running 5-6 times a week?
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    What the previous poster said...Eat more...and it's probably not fat - if you ate 30g of carbs a day, you will have a water weight gain when you add more carbs.... I'm 5'8 and around your weight, and I will die if I have to survive on UNDER 1200 calories...I eat 1700, 40% protein and 30% carbs....
  • jonesin_am
    jonesin_am Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I second the previous poster. 1200 is the minimal amount of calories you should be eating without exercise. Eat your exercise calories and I bet you will see a loss. I just upped my calories from 1500 to 2200 because I haven't lost anything in months. I run 6 days a week and attend boot camp classes three days a week. I lost 2.2 pounds the very first week! I wasn't eating enough. Plain and simple.
  • rodeogal1985
    Options
    Thank you! I was eating the 1200, because that is what MFP told me to eat!! Why does eating more calories help you lose?
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Have you tried bumping up your calories? When I started Couch 25K, I was also trying to do a low carb/low calorie diet but gained weight as well. I quickly realized that I couldn't continue to try and make improvements with my running if I wasn't fueling myself properly for them. I looked into upping my calories (and carbs) and once I did that, I did eventually started losing the weight.

A good rule of thumb for diets is if you can't sustain it long term, then it might now be the right plan for you to do. I've found it is so much simplier to lose weight if I am not as restrictive with my diet. I set my macros for 40% carbs, 30% protein, and 30%. This website is a good place to try and figure out how many calories you should be eating to reach your goal weight: http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/

Also, if you are new to running, you really should try to stick to just 3 or 4 days a week because if you try to do too much, too soon, you will end up with injuries.

Hope this helps! Good luck on your journey!
  • rodeogal1985
    Options
    I am new to running, but I find myself addicted! My 30 min run is bliss to me. I get to not worry about work, my kid, my job, my life for 30 min, 6 days a week. Alone time is hard to come by for me. . . so I have come to look forward to my runs :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I'd have to agree with the others: 1200 calories is not enough for a young person who's 5'8" and exercising.

You need to figure out your BMR and TDEE and eat enough.
  • LaceyMorley
    Options
    I've always struggled with gaining weight from running and I am not on a low cal diet like you.
  • Keyblr
    Keyblr Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have been running and limiting calories since the end of June. I'm short (5'1") and on days I do not exercise I only eat 1200 calories. But on days I exercise I eat back the calories I burned. The reason you do not lose weight if you eat too few calories is your body stores the caloric intake for fear of starvation. Or rather your motabolisim slows down. Eat more healthy calories and the pounds will start to shed.
  • x_cinder_x
    x_cinder_x Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I LOVED the couch to 5k program!! I am also 5'8 and trying to get down to 150. Add if ya want=D
  • tristahenry
    Options
    Why are you eating under 1200 calories a day if you're running 5-6 times a week?

This... eat to fuel your runs and you'll find you're much more successful.
  • miasskinnymommy
    Options
    do u log running int your cardio section every day? do the 1200 you eat INCLUDE those you earn back by running, or are you neg calories every day?? if so, i would say your body feels starved or you are logging what you eat incorrectly. When I ran into this problem at first i was eating too many calories, then i wasn't eating enough. it's tricky.
  • ropermom
    ropermom Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Eat more as suggested above. You don't want your system to panic and start saving up fat. Also, remember muscle weighs much more than fat. I have run all my life and found that for someone doing that kind of exercise it is better to go by your measurements than by your weight. You are probably losing some inches and "repositioning" places like your buttocks, thighs, tummy, etc. You can actually weigh more but look slimmer when you're fit. Hope this helps!!