I'm seriously getting scared of eating!!!!!

Options
I never ever ask for advice or for opinions but it is driving me nuts. Before you get mad at me for not goingt o Doctors, I have....ever since I am 15 I have horrible stomach problems which is why I have been eating healthy most the time for a while. I've had to cut down on certain things like Dairy and gluten because I have IBS and it triggers it amongst things like banana, avocadoes, eggs, blueberries and pineapples.

I usually can't have more then 1500 of sodium daily or else I am terribly bloated. Now on 3 separated occasions I have had a terrible reactions when I eat food higher in sodium. I had clamato in the past and almost passed out within a few minutes, yesterday I had a pre mix for Beef and Brocoli and same thing happened. About to pass out, cant think clearly and breathing get faster. Today I had Spaghetti sauce which I became so sick instantly that I had to bring it back out. Sorry I know its Way TMI. I am getting so scared to eat and its really taken a stroll on me. I'm so sick of it....Anyone has anything like this happened to them? I have seen MANY doctors and NO one has been able to help me :(

Replies

• bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    well sounds like you are making all of your food or becoming a frequent shopper of whole foods or the like. You are the master of your body and know what it can tolerate (even if you don't know why).

I'm sorry that convience isn't an option for you any more and be happy that today it's much more user friendly out there for people with dietary concerns than it was before.

I'm sorry my friend.
  • rockieschick
    rockieschick Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I think I am going to have to cut everything process out of my diet. I still had a little but looks like now its becoming a disaster. Thank you Beth
  • grover0ca
    grover0ca Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    That is rough..it sounds like making everything yourself will be the best way to go. Gives you total control over the situation.
  • bsmith404
    bsmith404 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I completely understand what you are saying.

For 8 years I had stomach pain to the point where I didn't want to eat. So I was getting dizzy, slept alot, anemia, etc.

Finally after 8 years I got diagnosed with gluten intolerance. While I am gluten free I still get stomach pain. For example I almost skipped the gym today because my stomach has been hurting last two days and I don't know why. I have to watch my sodium intake because it makes me so bloated. I am also highly addicted to coffee so i've cut down to 2 cups a day and am trying to do only 1 and then hopefuly none as I think coffee is having an effect on me as well.

I am right now not trying to eat processed food, go out to eat (which is hard as I do this 1-2x a week with friends/hubby), cut down on diary (no yogurt, max 2 cups of coffee, no milk other than in coffee, no cheese) and watch my sodium.

I'm hoping this would help a little. Some days the pain is so bad that I won't eat or like you i'm scared to eat something because the pain is too much so i'll eat small meals all day. Maybe some fruit, then a salad, some chicken later, etc.
  • krickeyuu
    krickeyuu Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I have suffered with IBS since I was 25yo (52 now). I have other digestive issues, as well--lactose intolerance, occasional gall bladder attacks, etc. Since I joined MFP and REALLY started monitoring what I eat, my IBS symptoms have almost disappeared. I believe it is because I have severly cut my consumption of processed food and sodium and seriously increased my fiber and protein consumption. I have nothing but anecdotal evidence here, but I feel great. In fact, I ate an ounce of Fritos a week or two ago and I thought I was going to vomit them up--I felt terrible for hours. I still eat dairy and I live with the gas and slight bloating but even that is better since cutting down on processed junk. I hope it works for you--getting sick every time you eat is awful.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I have also struggled with IBS and stomach issues my whole life. Since I overhauled my diet 9 months ago, it has become a non-issue. I am literally for the first time in my life, completely without symptoms. I cut out processed foods and sugar, and eat a ton of whole, plant based food. I feel so much better, I wish I had done this years ago.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I never ever ask for advice or for opinions but it is driving me nuts. Before you get mad at me for not goingt o Doctors, I have....ever since I am 15 I have horrible stomach problems which is why I have been eating healthy most the time for a while. I've had to cut down on certain things like Dairy and gluten because I have IBS and it triggers it amongst things like banana, avocadoes, eggs, blueberries and pineapples.

I usually can't have more then 1500 of sodium daily or else I am terribly bloated. Now on 3 separated occasions I have had a terrible reactions when I eat food higher in sodium. I had clamato in the past and almost passed out within a few minutes, yesterday I had a pre mix for Beef and Brocoli and same thing happened. About to pass out, cant think clearly and breathing get faster. Today I had Spaghetti sauce which I became so sick instantly that I had to bring it back out. Sorry I know its Way TMI. I am getting so scared to eat and its really taken a stroll on me. I'm so sick of it....Anyone has anything like this happened to them? I have seen MANY doctors and NO one has been able to help me :(

If no doc has been able to help, what are the odds these are all psychosomatic reactions?
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I KNOW THE ANSWER TO ALL YOUR PROBLEMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

learn to cook :drinker:
  • faireplay
    Options
    Listen to your body and feed it accordingly. Yes it is more work but what are the alternatives? My daughter works full time and yet manages to feed my grandson a diet that contains absolutely no gluten or dairy while still managing to keep the rest of ehr family fed as well. It can be done.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,627 Member
    Options

If no doc has been able to help, what are the odds these are all psychosomatic reactions?

I was thinking that as well.
  • _granola
    _granola Posts: 326
    Options
    I think you need to go back and talk to your doctor about the other foods causing these issues. Maybe get tested for other food allergies. I know someone on here who has been sensitive to a lot of different foods, including fruit, so I know it does happen. Eventually I think she was able to add some things back to her diet, but I would imagine it would take a while. Many times people with Celiac Disease can have an intolerance to other foods for a while, so that's why I say you should probably go back to the doctor.

ETA: Oh I see you have been to many doctors. Are you also carefully checking the ingredients of the things you are eating? If you are then maybe it is psychosomatic. Are you having any other disordered eating thoughts or behaviors? Maybe a psychiatrist could help better if you really don't have any other intolerances or allergies.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options

You may have some legitimate food intolerances and IBS going on, but it almost sounds like these difficulties have led to anxiety, panic attacks and possible eating disorder. Keep seeking out a Doctor that can get to the root of your problems.
  • ninakir88
    ninakir88 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    You might have gallstones or a bad gallbladder.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options

I'm inclined to agree. Sounds like a panic attack.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options

I'm inclined to agree. Sounds like a panic attack.

I lean in this direction from what you've said.

Can you keep trying until you find a doctor that will take this seriously and help you get to the bottom of it?
  • rockieschick
    Options
    This is sooooo strange because no one has ever mentioned anything about psychosomatic reactions before. I will obviously look into it as I need to find the problem. I never thought of it as a panic attack. Especially since I literately go from a "somewhat flat stomach" to looking at least 6 months pregnant. sorry I had forgotten to add this in!
    I have no food disorder as far as I know but who knows. Its very frustrating. Thank you for your help.
  • hikeout470
    hikeout470 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Removing all from your diet to figure out what is the problem includes BIRTH CONTROL PILLS.
  • hikeout470
    hikeout470 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Sorry, didn't mean to scream that! LOL!
  • rockieschick
    Options
    Sorry, didn't mean to scream that! LOL!

No Birth control pills and I have cut everything out of my diet for long periods of times on the advice of doctors but it seems more and more things are starting to affect me.....
  • sarahevenstar
    sarahevenstar Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Are any of the doctors you are seeing an allergist? Because what you are describing sounds a lot like my son having a really bad allergic reaction.