Rewards

Options
I know a lot of people set up rewards based on their mini goals to help motivate them, and I think that sounds like a great idea. My big problem is that I don't have a lot of extra money floating around, so I can't make it anything expensive. What are some cheaper ideas for ways to reward myself to keep me motivated?

And what are thoughts on rewards in general? I've lost 40 lbs, but have over 50 still to go... since I've made it this far without, should I just skip it? Is looking better and feeling better reward enough?

Replies

• louised88
    Options
    I put the €1 I would have spent on a Diet Coke or the €4 I would have spent on Starbucks away and buy a new nail polish or something small whenever I lose an inch or 5lbs.

Home manicures/pedicures are great, you can use olive oil and brown sugar for a scrub and soak your hands or feet in warn water for 15 minutes, and manicure sets are cheap in the €2 shop (if you're in the States, I assume you can get them in the dollar store?) IDK I like the beauty treatments, because it's quiet time that I can take for myself, and I cam homemake most things if I'm broke. But if you're happy enough, maybe just save up for some nice clothes when you hit goal? Keep a tally so you can see your stash going up!

Congrats on your loss btw!
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    For me, it has just been going out and buying new clothes. And since I have lost so much, and am still losing, I do most of my clothes shopping at resale shops, so I don't spend a lot. I don't see any point in spending a lot of money on clothes that will not fit my in a month, or however long it takes me to get to the next size. But being able to go out and buy something in a smaller size is a great reward
  • Kelley528
    Kelley528 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people set up rewards based on their mini goals to help motivate them, and I think that sounds like a great idea. My big problem is that I don't have a lot of extra money floating around, so I can't make it anything expensive. What are some cheaper ideas for ways to reward myself to keep me motivated?

And what are thoughts on rewards in general? I've lost 40 lbs, but have over 50 still to go... since I've made it this far without, should I just skip it? Is looking better and feeling better reward enough?

You made it this far without rewards. I'd skip it. I understand the motivation factor for most people but it obviously wasnt necessary for you to lose the first 40.

My logic is life doesnt always reward you for a job well done so why set up goals based on a reward system. But you still need to do nice things for yourself once in while even without a task and reward system. You dont need a lot of money. Just do something that you deem as a treat. Whether it is the nail polish or manicure like the other people said, some new makeup, or maybe one new item of clothing to fit your changing body. The clothes thing is a pain in the *kitten* when you are transitioning sizez so I understand not wanting to waste money on a whole new wardrobe at this point of your journey but it is amazing how once outfit that actual fits you properly can make you feel. Even if it is from a second hand store you still accomplish the same feeling.
  • littlewhittles
    littlewhittles Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I put the €1 I would have spent on a Diet Coke or the €4 I would have spent on Starbucks away and buy a new nail polish or something small whenever I lose an inch or 5lbs.

Home manicures/pedicures are great, you can use olive oil and brown sugar for a scrub and soak your hands or feet in warn water for 15 minutes, and manicure sets are cheap in the €2 shop (if you're in the States, I assume you can get them in the dollar store?) IDK I like the beauty treatments, because it's quiet time that I can take for myself, and I cam homemake most things if I'm broke. But if you're happy enough, maybe just save up for some nice clothes when you hit goal? Keep a tally so you can see your stash going up!

Congrats on your loss btw!

Oh, that's a good idea! Just some pampering at a low cost. And I like the idea of putting money aside I would normally spend on junk food.

And thank you! :)
  • littlewhittles
    Options
    For me, it has just been going out and buying new clothes. And since I have lost so much, and am still losing, I do most of my clothes shopping at resale shops, so I don't spend a lot. I don't see any point in spending a lot of money on clothes that will not fit my in a month, or however long it takes me to get to the next size. But being able to go out and buy something in a smaller size is a great reward

I like the idea of new clothes, and the resale shop makes sense. I did recently go to replace my jeans, but all the ones at thrift shops were grandma style up to the boobs, lol. So I treated myself to some new ones. But that is a nice, practical reward.
  • littlewhittles
    Options

You made it this far without rewards. I'd skip it. I understand the motivation factor for most people but it obviously wasnt necessary for you to lose the first 40.

My logic is life doesnt always reward you for a job well done so why set up goals based on a reward system. But you still need to do nice things for yourself once in while even without a task and reward system. You dont need a lot of money. Just do something that you deem as a treat. Whether it is the nail polish or manicure like the other people said, some new makeup, or maybe one new item of clothing to fit your changing body. The clothes thing is a pain in the *kitten* when you are transitioning sizez so I understand not wanting to waste money on a whole new wardrobe at this point of your journey but it is amazing how once outfit that actual fits you properly can make you feel. Even if it is from a second hand store you still accomplish the same feeling.

Yeah, I kind of think the weight loss is a reward enough. But those little treats, especially the new clothes, seem like a great idea.