Are you cooking Christmas dinner??

Options

Replies

• secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Mum's cooking roast beef and yorkshire pudding with gravy. There will be vegetables and salad and dessert too.

It's Christmas dinner, why would I want to ruin it by making it low-calorie? That's not what baby Jesus would have done
  • branson101
    branson101 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    we're doing prime rib roast and honey carrot and green bean casserole.
  • TheViperMan
    TheViperMan Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    My family started a traidition of home-made pizzas back in the late 80's when my dad last his job and had two young boys expecting Christmas presents without really understanding "economy." So to save money, they made pizza for dinner. It ended up being a HUGE event for the family because everyone works in the kitchen making their pizza, and mom/dad aren't stuck spending the whole day slaving to make a fancy dinner.

To this day my siblings (two girls were added in 1990) all carry the tradition today, and the cost of the pizzas greatly outweigh the "fancy dinner" because we add things like crab meat, 4 different cheese, etc!!! It's still a VERY fast dinner, and frankly I look forward to sharing the tradition with my new daughter after she's born. :smile:
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    Nope! I'm eating Christmas dinner! But I'm baking 9 different kinds of cookies!!! hahaha
    And yes, I need to taste test all of them......
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    My mother is cooking, and I will EAT ALL THE FOODS! Don't care if it's healthy or not. It's one day - it won't derail me. Plus, my appetite isn't what it used to be - I don't think I could physically eat enough for it to be a huge problem. (Based on experience from Thanksgiving, when I managed to stay in that day's calorie goals by going for a 45 min walk that afternoon).
  • gomisskellygo
    gomisskellygo Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I am cooking for 20:)

We are having:

Prime Rib
    Baked Potato Bar (sour cream, bacon, cheese, chives, ect.)
    HUGE side of roasted veggie

Guests are bringing salads, apps, and desserts.

I will be making my famous eggnog martinis!

I plan on going for a run Christmas morning but I am not going to beat myself up if I go over my calories.

The meals that are being posted sound delish!!
  • nuttyduffy
    nuttyduffy Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I'm cooking & not worrying about cals for a whole week!!!

Traditional UK fayre:

Breakfast:
    Smoked salmon, scrambled eggs on a toasted bagel & Buck's Fizz

Dinner:
    Turkey, gammon, pigs in blankets, roasted veg, broccoli, sprouts, Yorkshire puds, sage & onion stuffing & roast potatoes

Chocolate Yule log, Christmas cake & lots of champagne & rose wine :drinker: :drinker:

It's once a year & I plan on enjoying myself, my family & my friends :bigsmile:
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    On Christmas Eve:
    First, I'll be having some beer. Then, a paple glazed ham from Aldi, some pre-made lasagne from costo, and some Stove Top (leftover box from thanksgiving), and a garden salad. With some beer. Cherry pie for dessert, with some more beer.

On Christmas Day:
    We're going to Chevy's Fresh Mex. It's sort of a tradition now.
  • katrwal
    katrwal Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Yup, Easter, Christmas, and Thanksgiving...

nothing low-cal for Christmas this year:
    - Beef bourguignon
    - Coq au vin
    - Mashed redskin potatoes
    - Roasted Sweet Potato medley (sweet potatoes, yukon gold potatoes, & redskin potatoes roasted with olive oil & rosemary)
    - buttered noodles
    - meatballs & gravy
    - candied carrots
    - salad
    - peas
    - dill pickle soup
    - crescent rolls
    - french silk pie
    - french cheesecake (homemade - i use the light cream cheese, but that's about the only compromise)
    - apple pie
    - chocolate chip cookies
    - oatmeal raisin cookies
    - sugar cookies

better get cracking... :)
  • gomisskellygo
    gomisskellygo Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    - dill pickle soup

Hmmmm. Tell me more:) This sounds interesting!
  • Nefetete
    Nefetete Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    yup and I will be making all of our favorite dishes. Most of the dishes are very traditional passed down from my grandmother so I will not modify them in any way. Its only one day, it will not kill me to be over my calories, I am actually planning to be.

Stuffed Chicken Breast ( lots and lots of cheese)
    Roast Beef
    Garlic butter roasted veggies ( root vegetables & asparagus)
    4 kinds of salads ( some with mayo and bacon)
    A sweets table ( cookies, cake, and baklava)

and anything else I can think of. :))

oh lets not forget the trip to the liquor store lol ... I think I drink about as many cal as I eat that day. :drinker: :drinker:
  • sbrooks0387
    sbrooks0387 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    not cooking but going to my parents and i am going to indulge in all the non skinny food (i admit it i skip the salade at christmas and thanksgiving)
  • kwmarissa
    kwmarissa Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Healthy is thrown out the window for me on Christmas.
    We're making a breakfast casserole (Eggs,bacon,potatoes, the works)
    For dinner my moms making a turkey or a ham (with a brown sugar glaze) And the sides... just omg. Basically it's Thanksgiving dinner on Christmas.
    Desserts: Pies, cookies, and cheesecake bars :O
  • Simona40
    Simona40 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    My family gets together on Christmas Eve and I cook the traditional fish/seafood feast:

Shrimp
    Crab
    Mussels
    Cod
    Haddock
    Squid
    Salad as the side dish

For dessert - cheesecake and chocolate cake [for my dad - he's a chocoholic and thin as a rail!]
  • FightingforFit82
    Options
    Our infamous family Taco's, in memory of my Gpa (passed 2mths ago). His secret family recipe.

No calorie counting that day
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    honey baked ham, roasted veggies, mash, veggie platter, and probably ice cream for dessert.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Low cal recipes on Christmas? ****. No.

We're having roast duck, roast potatoes, brussels sprouts, stuffing, pigs in blankets, cranberry sauce, yorkshire pudding. That's all I've planned so far. Not sure what's happening for desset yet, but it'll be chock full of delicious calories, whatever it is.
  • WeekndOVOXO
    WeekndOVOXO Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Yes I'm cooking dinner, because my moms been doing it for the pass 20 years and it's time she gets a break.

No I'm not making anything low cal. This is Christmas. This is the time where you eat what you want as long as it's in moderation. Don't feel sorry if you over eat as it's one day out of 365. The day isn't going to make or break me. There's always tomorrow to bounce back and get right on schedule.

I'll be making roasted veggies, yams, mashed potatoes, turkey, stuffing, and probably ham.

I'll be using lots of butter, oils, salt, and sugar. :bigsmile:
  • Nina2503
    Nina2503 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    We will make our usual roast dinner/lunch, and then have a few treats throughout the day. I will eat if I want something but in moderation. I find eating too much now makes me bloated and uncomfortable, thankfully!
  • eazieske
    eazieske Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Tamales!!!! they are great we live in south texas everyone makes them I love tamales