CARBS!

Potatoes..
Yes, no, sometimes? I absolutely LOVE potatoes, bread, pasta, and basically anything else you are not supposed to eat while trying to lose weight. I find these things harder to give up than sugar! But reluctantly I have cut out bread and noodles but is eating potatoes really that bad? If in moderation of course.. Or should I just cut them out all together? (I usually eat a baked potato with a few tablespoons of ranch once a day.)
Opinions?

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,144 Member
    No, Potatoes are full of nutrients, even though it's "WHITE" and potatoes happen to be the most satiating food stuff on the planet. Like you said everything in moderation. I love me some tatters.
  • absolutely. they're amazing.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    No, Potatoes are full of nutrients, even though it's "WHITE" and potatoes happen to be the most satiating food stuff on the planet. Like you said everything in moderation. I love me some tatters.

^^^that
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    I eat a LOT of potatoes. They are good for you, it's the stuff that frequently goes on them that becomes the problem (sour cream, butter,etc.). I also eat pasta (whole grain) and bread(also whole grain) in moderation. I could do without the pasta and the bread, but potatoes make my life worth living :)
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Not to sure about the ranch , but potatoes YES and sweet potatoes HELL YES! ;-) just wanted to add that in there sweet potatoes + cinnamon = AMAZING!

o and here is some simple info

http://www.livestrong.com/article/42142-potato-nutrition-information/
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Floury jacket potatoes are high on the glycaemic index, so turn to sugar in the body very quickly. Reduce the GI by eating a small portion (?half a potato) with sources of protein, healthy fats and fibre. Or switch to sweet potatoes or waxy new potatoes in their skins if you like those.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    I eat potatoes too - I love them and sweet potatoes are even better!

So, when you want potatoes, make sure you have the room in your daily calorioes and eat away!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    absolutely. they're amazing.

amazing? eh... potatoes are ok.

cheesecake...now cheesecake is amazing
  • gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Floury jacket potatoes are high on the glycaemic index, so turn to sugar in the body very quickly. Reduce the GI by eating a small portion (?half a potato) with sources of protein, healthy fats and fibre. Or switch to sweet potatoes or waxy new potatoes in their skins if you like those.

"Floury"??? Potatoes? Flour is a ground up grain...There is no "flour" in them.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    So sweet potato fries are OK? I do stay away from regular french fries
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,175 Member
    Unless you have a condition where you should avoid them (diabetes), then enjoy! I envy you...I hardly ever have any starchy foods anymore.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Potatoes are awesome!

Carbohydrates from unprocessed plants are ok to eat all you desire. It's the refined carbohydrates that are to be avoided.
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    So sweet potato fries are OK? I do stay away from regular french fries

Depending on how you make the fries! Personally I find a plain baked sweet potatoes with a little cinnamon is heaven !
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    You should be asking this in a forum of people who are following a similar eating plan. For some people calories in and calories out works perfectly and they don't understand that some of us need to be more "restrictive" with what we eat.

If you can eat potatoes and you have no negative health issues from eating them, then eat them! They are not "unhealthy". For me, I have a tendency to over-eat potatoes. It doesn't mean that I can never eat them again, but, for now, I rarely eat them. My carb macros need to stay low because that's the only way I have found to avoid craving, uncontrollable hunger, and binging.

Do what works for you and don't worry about anyone else's idea of what you should or shouldn't do.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    absolutely. they're amazing.

amazing? eh... potatoes are ok.

cheesecake...now cheesecake is amazing

chocolate cheesecake

exps15807_TH10194C31B.jpg

Oh, but yeah, potatoes....

They are really good for you, and calorie dense. So if I get a really huge baked potato, I'll only eat half now and half tomorrow. Calories are what count. Carbs account for 50% of my calorie intake, so I eat potatoes, rice, pasta (all white and refined the way nature intended) :tongue: and all in moderation.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    well, making mashed potatoes right now, lots of cream added. :D
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    I eat all types of carbs. Sweet Potatoes, poptarts, etc.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    You should be asking this in a forum of people who are following a similar eating plan. For some people calories in and calories out works perfectly and they don't understand that some of us need to be more "restrictive" with what we eat.

If you can eat potatoes and you have no negative health issues from eating them, then eat them! They are not "unhealthy". For me, I have a tendency to over-eat potatoes. It doesn't mean that I can never eat them again, but, for now, I rarely eat them. My carb macros need to stay low because that's the only way I have found to avoid craving, uncontrollable hunger, and binging.

Do what works for you and don't worry about anyone else's idea of what you should or shouldn't do.

This....I binge on carbs too, so I choose not to eat potatoes, but they're still good for you
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    I eat potatoes a lot, but usually sliced, microwaved and then dry-fried. Or boiled. Potatoes are much better than bread in my opinion - bread often has extra fat, sodium etc that a lovely natural potato does not have.

Of course it's what you put with a potato that can be a killer - dressings, oil, fat, etc.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Potatoes are an excellent source of food and vitamins. There is nothing inherently wrong or bad about bread, pasta, sugar, or any other carbohydrate either. Eat as much of them as you want - as long as you are hitting your overall nutritional goals - meaning, getting enough protein, fats, vitamins, and calories in general.

To summarize - if you are eating so many carbohydrates that you have reached your calorie target without getting ample protein, fat, or micronutrients, then this is a problem. If you are eating "lots" of carbs and still able to hit your nutritional targets, then there is NO problem.