The New Shake Weight Inquiry

Options
OK so now that I've lost a few pounds (29 recently & gained 8 back) I've noticed the sagging upper arms are more visible & with the summer months approaching I'd would like to beautifuly toned. Looking forward to it. I was wondering if anyone has picked up the the new SHAKE Weight you see on TV where you shake it for 6 minutes a day:tongue: . I have an old rotary cuff injury & was wondering if it will hurt or help? Is this another TV scam? Supposedly you work out your Arms, Shoulders & Chest all at the same time for 6 minutes a day! Any thoughts or experiences with it so far?:noway:

Replies

• ambercole
    Options
    Anything that looks like it should come with it's own bottle of lube can't be taken seriously!! :blushing: :noway: :laugh:
  • 1Sweets
    1Sweets Posts: 395
    Options
    Well guys & gals...I couldn't wait to hear from you so I did my own research:

Shake Weight

shake weight image. There’s another fitness product that’s creating a craze in America, the Shake Weight.

This fitness equipment came to popularity (or notoriety, some say) due to its suggestive infomercial and consequent mentions of the product on various TV shows. I particularly enjoyed the clip from the Ellen Degenres show (clip included below).

Is it really better than working with a regular diet and fitness program like Truth About Abs which not only can help you get shapely arms but also a flat and sexy stomach? I hope this review will clarify that.

The ShakeWeight is designed to help you tone and work your upper body: arms, shoulders, and chest. The original product was marketed to women but recently a men’s version was also introduced.

The original product resembles a regular dumbbell, is 2.5 pound in weight with a spring on either end. According to the official website, this device works with a method called Dynamic Inertia.

You can see how it works in the short video below:

The claim that the official website makes is that by just shaking this weight for 6 minutes a day is enough to help you get lean and toned arms. You just hold it in various positions and shake it.

This is not an electric product. You create the shaking motion. This back and forth shake is supposed to work your muscles. The claim is that this movement is much better than traditional weight training.

Is this true or is Shake Weight a scam?

There are a few claims that I have trouble with concerning this product:

1. The infomercial suggests that regular weight training causes bulky muscles while the Shake Weight will give the long muscles women crave more. This is a great marketing angle but one whose connection to reality is flimsy at best.

Let me state unequivocally. This suggestion is baseless. Some people just tend to bulk up more than others. There is no connection to weight training.

Most women simply don’t have the genetic and hormonal makeup necessary to bulk up regardless of the kind of exercise they do. Unless you workout at the gym with the specific goal of becoming bulky you shouldn’t really worry about it.

The conclusion is that being afraid of bulking up is no reason to get this product.

2. The infomercial and official website claim that a scientific study proves that the Shake Weight is more effective than regular strength training. But where is this study?

I looked for the study on the official website but could find no reference. This makes me suspicious. I want to see who conducted the study, how it was conducted, and exactly what it found. I can’t really accept only the conclusion of a nameless study without knowing more about it.

3. I don’t believe you can achieve real results by working for 6 minutes a day and that’s it. Toning up really requires you to workout hard and to eat right. I don’t like these claims because they’re very hard to measure and either refute or confirm.

4. But the biggest thing which concerns me about this product are the conflicting ways in which it’s promoted to women and men. While the infomercial for women states that this device helps to avoid bulky muscle growth, the infomercial for men basically promises bulky muscle growth.

What is the truth?

I’ll leave that as an open question to you. Till this is answered, I’ll stick with proven programs like the Truth About Abs.
    Shake Weight Pros and Cons

Pros:

* Shake Weight are affordable at $19.95 a piece ($29.95 for the men’s version).
    * They’re easy to use and carry with you
    * I have no doubt that the Shake Weight does stimulate the arms muscles somewhat
    * Has a money back guarantee

Cons:

* There is not truth to the claims that this device gives longer muscles than regular weight lifting
    * Makes “scientific” claims which aren’t referenced
    * Dumbbells come in many weights, shapes, and forms. This machine has just one weight.
    * You can get a better, harder, and more effective workout with regular dumbbells
    * Some of the marketing claims for this product are simply wrong if not outright false

If you want to get real results and not just waste your time and money, I recommend using a real fitness program like Truth About Abs.
    In Conclusion

I don’t believe that Shake Weight really works. Yes, it looks like fun and it does cause the muscles to flex a bit, but it doesn’t seem to be something that’s worth using and I don’t believe it will get you better results than doing regular workouts especially if you follow a good program.

I am not going to get this product. You should decide for yourself what you want to do. I do think it can make a great gift as a joke.

Here is the clip from Ellen I mentioned:

Shake Weight

shake weight imageThere’s another fitness product that’s creating a craze in America, the Shake Weight.

This fitness equipment came to popularity (or notoriety, some say) due to its suggestive infomercial and consequent mentions of the product on various TV shows. I particularly enjoyed the clip from the Ellen Degenres show (clip included below).

Is it really better than working with a regular diet and fitness program like Truth About Abs which not only can help you get shapely arms but also a flat and sexy stomach? I hope this review will clarify that.

The ShakeWeight is designed to help you tone and work your upper body: arms, shoulders, and chest. The original product was marketed to women but recently a men’s version was also introduced.

The original product resembles a regular dumbbell, is 2.5 pound in weight with a spring on either end. According to the official website, this device works with a method called Dynamic Inertia.

The claim that the official website makes is that by just shaking this weight for 6 minutes a day is enough to help you get lean and toned arms. You just hold it in various positions and shake it.

This is not an electric product. You create the shaking motion. This back and forth shake is supposed to work your muscles. The claim is that this movement is much better than traditional weight training.

1. The infomercial suggests that regular weight training causes bulky muscles while the Shake Weight will give the long muscles women crave more. This is a great marketing angle but one whose connection to reality is flimsy at best.

Let me state unequivocally. This suggestion is baseless. Some people just tend to bulk up more than others. There is no connection to weight training.

Most women simply don’t have the genetic and hormonal makeup necessary to bulk up regardless of the kind of exercise they do. Unless you workout at the gym with the specific goal of becoming bulky you shouldn’t really worry about it.

The conclusion is that being afraid of bulking up is no reason to get this product.

2. The infomercial and official website claim that a scientific study proves that the Shake Weight is more effective than regular strength training. But where is this study?

I looked for the study on the official website but could find no reference. This makes me suspicious. I want to see who conducted the study, how it was conducted, and exactly what it found. I can’t really accept only the conclusion of a nameless study without knowing more about it.

3. I don’t believe you can achieve real results by working for 6 minutes a day and that’s it. Toning up really requires you to workout hard and to eat right. I don’t like these claims because they’re very hard to measure and either refute or confirm.

4. But the biggest thing which concerns me about this product are the conflicting ways in which it’s promoted to women and men. While the infomercial for women states that this device helps to avoid bulky muscle growth, the infomercial for men basically promises bulky muscle growth.

What is the truth?

I’ll leave that as an open question to you. Till this is answered, I’ll stick with proven programs like the Truth About Abs.

Pros:

* I have no doubt that the Shake Weight does stimulate the arms muscles somewhat

Cons:

* There is not truth to the claims that this device gives longer muscles than regular weight lifting
    * Dumbbells come in many weights, shapes, and forms. This machine has just one weight.
    * You can get a better, harder, and more effective workout with regular dumbbells
    * Some of the marketing claims for this product are simply wrong if not outright false

If you want to get real results and not just waste your time and money, I recommend using a real fitness program like Truth About Abs.
    In Conclusion

I don’t believe that Shake Weight really works. Yes, it looks like fun and it does cause the muscles to flex a bit, but it doesn’t seem to be something that’s worth using and I don’t believe it will get you better results than doing regular workouts especially if you follow a good program.

I am not going to get this product. You should decide for yourself what you want to do. I do think it can make a great gift as a joke.

Here is the clip from Ellen I mentioned:

Shake Weight

shake weight imageThere’s another fitness product that’s creating a craze in America, the Shake Weight.

What is the truth?

Pros:

Cons:

In Conclusion

Here is the clip from Ellen I mentioned::blushing:
    http://partners.optimalfusion.com/z/2457/CD95/&subid1=worldofdiets
  • 1Sweets
    Options
    http://ellen.warnerbros.com/2009/09/everyone_loves_the_shake_weigh.php SO FUNNY...CHECK IT OUT:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • auntbliz
    auntbliz Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I almost felt like that should have come with a warning to clear the room of kids, oh my. I've actually got tears in my eyes from watching that, I don't think I'll show my hubby though, I'll never hear the end of his workout ideas after that! :blushing: :laugh:
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    It's a gimmick. The only way to get a regular arm workout in only 6 min. is to work at a much harder intensity than normal. (i.e., doing High-Intensity Interval Training) The Shake Weight doesn't really work you that much harder than a regular lifting program would.
  • 1Sweets
    Options
    I'm listening....even for a past rotary cuff injury? :flowerforyou: My shoulders always hurt on the right side. ....I'm afraid to use too heavy of weight for fear I may re-damage it again. But it seemed like it would tone up those "wings" we get with weight loss. Any suggestions for arm exercises if this isn't the tool I'm looking for?
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    There are exercises you can do that use your body weight instead of a hand weight and these are less injury prone. For example, you can do tricep dips! http://exercise.about.com/b/2004/08/23/exercise-of-the-week-tricep-dips.htm

But, also, the wings are caused by loose skin and no exercise can fix that. Having nice muscle can help create an optical illusion and take attention away from the wings, but can't get rid of them.