Ladies..who else bulks up with weights (unintentionally)

Options
I'm just curious who else had this problem. Me and my mom both do. If I do any weights, especially on my legs they just bulk up. I know "muscle helps you burn fat"...not so fast. Because even when I do keep to a decent diet and do strenght training the fat does not budge. It's like the muscle just pushes it out, like on my stomach. I'm very careful about doing abs too much. I also know people say "oh women don't bulk up blah blah blah" yes some do, everyone is different. Pilates, yoga and jogging or other cardio seems to work for me. If I do any weights it's very light weighted gloves or 3-5lb weights. That way I actually lost fat and the muscle is lean.

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    What do you mean your legs bulk up? Is there a measurable difference? As in have you measured before and after with a tape measure? How long does this hypothetical increase in size last? Any chance it could be swelling or water retention?

When you say you can't lose fat when lifting in spite of a "decent diet", does this mean you've counted calories, maintained a calorie deficit while lifting heavy weights for a reasonable amount of time (6-8 weeks)?

I actually am somewhat genetically gifted when it comes to muscle gain. I think I gained 5lbs of muscle doing a 4 month bulk (lifting HEAVY 4-5 days a week and eating 3000 calories). Anything above a pound a month is pretty abnormal. Part of my good results could have also come from "newbie gains.

In the past 9 months I've been lifting HEAVY while eating at maintenance and I don't think I've gained any muscle. Gaining muscle while at maintenance or on a deficit is very difficult. And by heavy, I mean I squat 135lbs, bench 105lbs, deadlift 180lbs...
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    No
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    It's not swelling because I don't measure immediately after, I will a few days later. And by "decent diet" I mean pretty healthy staying within mfp recommendations. I have since changed that as my dietary preferences have changed, for the better imo. My legs and abs look gross when I would do weights. My waist actually increased which makes no sense. But I stay away from those workouts now and stick to pilates, yoga and cardio(running/eliptical) and I see better results and fat actually moving out.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I think it is more due to water retention than bulking. I have higher testosterone due to PCOS and when I tried bulking on purpose, I was able to gain 2-3 pounds of muscles ( I am guessing because I nam not done losing the fat)

How about you stay the course for 8 weeks at a calories deficit then reasses?
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I think you need to give it time. I wouldn't recommend giving up strength training. Try walking lunges and planking? Maybe mix in HIIT? Give everything time to really see results. It takes time, and when adding muscle, the scales are going to go up now and again. Just don't get discouraged and give it up.

I know we are all different, so best of luck on anything you try.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I would like to see photos, if you have them.

I've been lifting for about a year and a half, but the first year was just with machines at the gym and really shouldn't count. But I see a noticeable difference in my legs - especially my quads right above my knees - and my back/shoulders. Mostly, though, only when I flex. I have gained about 10 pounds over the past year. I doubt that's 10 pounds of muscle. Some of it definitely is... I'm still wearing the same clothes that might be a LITTLE bit more snug in the thighs and bum, but the waistband on everything is looser.

So... yeah, I've put on muscle, but not to where anyone will say, "Look at the muscles on that girl!" I bench 95, squat & deadlift 155.

Edited to add: Photo of my significantly more muscular leg... which I think is awesome, not gross, but I understand that people have different aesthetics.

IMG_5469-copy.jpg
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I'm just curious who else had this problem. Me and my mom both do. If I do any weights, especially on my legs they just bulk up. I know "muscle helps you burn fat"...not so fast. Because even when I do keep to a decent diet and do strenght training the fat does not budge. It's like the muscle just pushes it out, like on my stomach. I'm very careful about doing abs too much. I also know people say "oh women don't bulk up blah blah blah" yes some do, everyone is different. Pilates, yoga and jogging or other cardio seems to work for me. If I do any weights it's very light weighted gloves or 3-5lb weights. That way I actually lost fat and the muscle is lean.

If you are bulking, you do not have a calorie deficit.

Eat less.
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    When I lift, I do experience water retention in my muscles initially, but it goes away.

How long are you giving yourself to see progress? Because anytime I've started lifting in the past I feel "puffy" for the first few weeks and then all the sudden when I'm about to give up, I start losing and leaning out. I also find that if I lift and don't do cardio as a supplement I retain tons of water and puff up. That's why I lift 2x a week and do 1-2 days of cardio to balance. But what works for one does not neccessarily work for another.

If you're not giving it time (and I mean at the very, very least a month, more than that if you have the patience), and only giving it a few days or a few tries you might not be giving weight lifting a fair chance. But really, it's your call what kind of workout you do, it's your body and your life. Do what makes you happy.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    If working with weights doesn't give you the body you want...then don't do it. I don't think I bulk up intentionally or not, but I do see a change in how my body looks (more defined) when I get some weights involved and I like that. To each their own...
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I used to unintentionally bulk up.

Then I stopped eating nutella by the jar.
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I bulk up quite a bit with weights. ESPECIALLY in the legs. It's unreal, and it makes me mad everytime I hear people say say that women don't bulk up (especially if they also add that I'm probably just overeating). I think genetics plays a role in that and there's nothing I can do about it.

When I used to stop doing weights, and just focused on aerobic, I slimmed down tremendously, but after a few months I don't like my shape so I always went back to weights.

So what I do NOW is focus my lifting on upper body and allow the aerobic activities I do (running, zumba etc) to work the lower. I still do lower body work from time to time (with things like CrossFit) but that's not the mainstay of my workouts.

Best wishes to you!!

If anyone else has this problem, feel free to friend me!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Unless you DEXA scanned it, you didn't gain muscle.

You can gain LBM, which includes muscle of course, lifting. But that includes water retained in muscles.

And yes, your muscle can swell and push the fat on the legs out.

You are aware you can't spot lose, just because you are working out the legs the fat may disappear from the back of your neck first, or big toe.

Your body may be over reacting to the repair process with water retention, unless you really are sore for days later, which can happen. Or higher sodium helping that effect.

And despite desire of more intense cardio moving the fat, nope, moving the carbs literally. More of them anyway.

Just seeing different effects from different workouts and not doing them long enough to see what happens.

Muscle doesn't even swell up that much immediately unless you really killed it. Though I have seen women doing ab crunches enough to kill me watching, ugh.
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I actually wish I was a bulker!! I'm jealous :wink:
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I dont understand what you mean by women bulking up unintentionally. Since we are not genetically predisposed to bulk up that is akin to saying you accidentally ran a marathon because neither could be done without intention and serious training. Women bodybuilders have to work very hard and it doesn't happen naturally.

Are you just trying to say cardio makes your calf muscles have more definition/become visible? Are you saying you want to lose weight and not have any muscle definition? A woman can have a 6pack or nice calves without looking bulky like a bodybuilder. Michelle Obama has nice arms but that doesn't make her bulky. I would like to know your definition of unintentionally bulky.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    I lift heavy weights and I look bulky.

I look bulky because I have 30kgs left to lose. Not because I've gained big muscles -- and I promise you, I've been working hard at those weights.
  • julimonster
    julimonster Posts: 243 Member
    Options

LOL, that ^^
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    i would like to see pics of the bulk, please....
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Semantics. Getting larger = bulking up to some, while to others, bulking up = extreme muscle definition like you see in bodybuilders. You are comparing apples and oranges. Stop.

If you don't like weights, don't use them. I personally love having more defined muscles that I only get from picking things up and putting them down. And I'm much smaller than I was covered in fat.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

300815084_icon175x175.jpg
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I'd also like to see pictures of this bulk.

Personally, I think it's likely just water retention from a new routine. I agree with others when they say women don't "bulk up", especially not unintentionally!! Whatever it is, you've obviously found something that works for you, and that's fantastic. So keep it up!
This discussion has been closed.