CRYING FOR A BREAKTHROUGHT

Options
I HAD PROBLEMS WITH MY WEIGHT MY ENTIRE LIFE DUE TO THE FACT THAT I WAS ALWAYS PICK ON AT SCHOOL AND AT HOME. I HAVE NEVER ONCE FELT COMFORTABLE IN MY OWN SKIN. IM NOW 21 AND THINGS IS GETTING WORSE. AT TIME, I FEEL LIKE My CHEST IS ABOUT TO CAVE IN. I HAVEN'T SEEN A DOCTOR IN ALMOST 9 YEARS IM AFRAID TO GO BECAUSE I DONT WANT TO HEAR ANY BAD NEWS. I TRIED GO ON A DIET ON NUMEROUS OCCASION IT NEVER SEEM TO WORK I END UP BAILING OUT RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF. THE EXCUSES I COME UP WITH NOT GO TO WORKOUT ARE OUTRAGEOUS AND IMAGINABLE. IM NOT A LAZY GRL IM FAR FROM THAT I GO ON LONG WALKS, I AM ON MY FEET AT WORK FOR 10 HOURS TOPS, I CARRY GROCERIES(10BAGS) OR MORE ON THE BUS SINCE I DONT HAVE A CAR. MY PROBLEM IS I WAS NEVER BUILD WITH THE MOTIVATION TO LOOSE WEIGHT OR EAT RIGHT FOR OTHER THINGS THAT PERTAINS TO MY LIFE IM AT 100. FOR WORKING OUT ITS A TOTAL DIFFERENT STORY. ON DECEMBER 26 IM TURNING 21 FOR MY 21 BIRTHDAY I MADE A VOW TO MYSELF TO DO EVERYTHING IN MY POWER TO EAT RIGHT AND INCLUDE SOME SORT OF PHYSICAL FITNESS INTO MY LIFE. I HAVE WRITTEN THIS EMAIL SO MANT TIMES ON THIS WEBSITE THAT ITS EMBARASSING. MY QUESTION FOR THOSE THAT READ THIS EMAIL IS HOW DO YOU GUYS STAY MOTIVATED AC TER SO LONG? HOW DO YOU OVERCOME THE NEGATIVE FEEDBACK? IS THERE SOMEONE (MAINLY PEOPLE THAT WENT THROUGH A DRASTIC WEIGHT LOSS CHANGE IN THERE LIVES THAT MADE YOU FEEL IF THEY CAN DO IT SO CAN I? WHO IS THAT PERSON? N MOST AND FOR ALL PLEASE HELP ME? I HAVE NOONE IN MY HOUSEHOLD THAT UNDERSTAND HOW I FEEL. THEY LAUGHT ONCE THEY HEAR OR SEE ME EXEECISING.

THANKS FOR READING IN ADVANCE

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    For starters, I'd go ahead and see that doctor...I did, and basically that jump started my motivation. My true motivations are my wife and particularly, my two little boys...I want to see them grow up...go to college...get married. For me, the bad news from the doctor was the swift kick in the butt that I needed to get moving...my kids and my wife keep me going.

Little bit different background for me...I was always pretty fit; as a youngster I was involved in a variety of sports, all the way through highschool. After highschool I joined the Marine Corps which obviously kept me pretty fit. When I got out, that's when I just started letting things slide. It wasn't a huge deal at first...I put on a little weight, but was still in the healthy range...then a little more...and a little more....and a little more. It was something that I always just kind of shrugged off and said, "meh...I'll deal with that later." Well, later didn't come until just a few months ago.

Like you, I have a family history of ailments...my dad has full on metobolic syndrome and is Type II Diabetic, hypertension, high cholesterol. He has kidney disease related to his diabeties and HBP...he's only just turned 60. He had all of the symptoms when he was about my age, but never did anything about them...didn't change his diet or exercise...made little to no attempt to lose weight. He just figured it would magically go away and he'd be fine. Seeing where my dad is now is also a great motivator...I'm at the point now where things are still fixable, so I want to fix them.

I'm eating a much healthier diet than I ever have. Plenty of lean protein, appropriate amounts of good fats, and I get most of my carbs from fruit, veg, and whole grains. I'm currently eating at a 500 calorie per day deficit to lose 1 Lb per week. So far I've lost 10 Lbs over the last 7-8 weeks or so. I just started MFP a couple of weeks ago and it's really helping me to track my calories and my macros. I have high cholesterol and hypertension, so I really have to watch my saturated fats and sodium and MFP has been great for that as well.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Developing T2 diabetes certainly gave ME a kick in my complacency. You don't want to end up with that.

I agree with seeing the Dr. I ended up in the hospital because "I" wouldn't go to the doctor. I had a blood sugar reading of over 400mg.

We tend to tell ourselves, when we are younger, that we can put off taking care of ourselves...that our youth will protect us. We are NOT immortal at any age. Not to mention that when you are so miserable about your weight, you have a monkey on your back that you cant shake. At your age, you have SO much to look forward too. Don't wait...a nice body and health CAN be yours. And doing it here wont cost you a cent. :)
  • MoFierceandFab
    Options
    What works for me in regards to staying motivated is

1) I write down my goals and I post them where I can see them with pictures that inspire me - I reaffirm my intentions daily of who I am becoming
    2) I use middle of the road thinking when I slip and eat a thanksgiving meal (not on thanksgiving day) or miss a workout - Instead of throwing all my day away I take it back with the next meal and omit any negative thoughts towards myself
    3) I follow people on twitter who only send out positive stories or quotes - there can be a lot of negative thinking around me so I have to counteract it from somewhere else

I adopted a quote from Zig Ziglar about motivation:

"People often say motivation does not last. Well, neither does bathing - that's why we recommend it daily."

When I feel stuck I find that taking action creates motivation not the other way around. If I waited to feel motivated then I probably never do it.

I hope this helps and I wish you the best in your journey.
  • Kaathmandu
    Options
    Hey Dupas,
    You have the prettiest face!
    The whole weight loss thing can be really daunting if you are looking at a looong journey. I've been on my weight loss journey, well, most of my life! But I've been successful for the last 3years, losing 66kg (about 145lbs, I think).
    Start off with small goals. Don't have any junk food today. Then tomorrow. One day at a time. Set yourself a non-food-based reward - shout yourself a manicure and pedicure or something when you have lost the first 10lbs, or got down to a particular weight. Set yourself big rewards for the big achievements, but you'll find looking and feeling good is the best reward.
    I also allow myself cheat days - I call it 'off the wagon' - where I can eat what I like. But I have to be strict! No more than one day a month, it starts after I get up, finishes when I go to bed, and no more. It helps me stay on track the rest of the time because if there is something I really want to eat, I can - I just have to wait to cheat day. And the longer I am being good and seeing the results, the less I want 'off' days anyway.
    And that is the biggest motivation - looking good, feeling better! I really enjoy sending stuff to charity that is too big (don't keep it, never going back there!) That feels like an achievement for me. Buying new, smaller clothes is pretty cool, too.
    So my diet (Atkins is the one that works for me) is now my lifestyle. Diabetics can't have sugar, coeliacs can't have wheat - my body has a condition that means I can't handle carbs (true!!) so, for my health, I can't have them (most of the time :) )
    Hope some of this works for you too.
    Oh, and as for exercise, do a class so that you have to be there at a certain time. Otherwise I'd never get there. Gym is not my scene. I do aquafitness, swimming and as much dancing as my injured foot can handle. So it is fun, not work :)
    Good luck, you can do it! 21 is a great time to start - think how fabulous you could be for your 25th?!?!!