How to juggle life and keep up with my weight loss efforts?

Options
Ok, so I took off a few months from college to get myself under control. My life is very busy with three kids, husband works overnights and my crazy college schedule. So, I want to know how you fit your weight loss regime in with all the other crap of life? Do you wake up early and do your workouts? After work how do you fit this into your life? Thanks and I look forward to hearing how you work it!

Replies

• CochyChoco
    Options
    I have 2 kids, my husband works morning and I m also a college student. I usually take a jog in the park after class. I do my toning while my kids do homework, And they eat whatever I eat. It's not easy, especially when I have to study, but they are all pretty supportive.
  • lorriannly
    lorriannly Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I too have 3 kids (only the 12 & 14 year old are still at home). I work out after dinner. Too lazy to get up early and do it in the morning. Since my kids are old enough to be by themselves, I ask them if they want to go to the gym with me or stay at home. I think you have to make an effort to make it work. I can always find something else I "could" be doing, but it either has to be done before or after I exercise. Hope that helps.
  • caroleannlight
    caroleannlight Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Hi

Its not always easy but I find breaking it down helps. Based on the eat less move more principle. so first do your numbers and work out your calorie target with a deficit appropriate to your goals. Try to stick to net calories and make gradual improvements toward healthy foods. Move more - I am attacking on two fronts - general activity e.g. walking , stairs etc (I am using a fitbit) and setting myself monthly challenges to be more active. It is also worth just trying to do more active things with friends and family e.g. 10 pin bowling or a salsa class rather than a movie or go somewhere that you can walk to and from. Then exercise I find it can be hard to fit in so I tell myself must do a minimum of 3 workouts per week. I almost always do monday morning early I then feel it starts the week off well. I usually do one weekday evening after work and one day at the weekend. I try to make it a minimum. If I am really pushed for time I will do 5 minute block workouts at home or in my office e.g. body weight squats / counter pushups running on the spot or wiifit. Good luck with all your efforts. It is worth trying some things and see what works and every small change is a small step in the right direction.
  • SimpleeSierra
    Options
    I feel you, I have 3 children, 3 and a half years, 2 years and 2 months and a 3 motnh old...BUSY, my husband drives Tanker Truck, he is home every night but most nights late, I am a stay at home mom, just trying to loose the baby weight, get to a comfortable, helathy size. I struggle most weeks trying to stay motivated, and stay on tracks with my goals as my life too is hectic, not much time between 3 little ones to work out much...I lately have started printing out my weekly to do lists, daily meals and work out schedule, i find it has been the only way i can organize those things, otherwise its all chaos and i never know what to do when. My 3 month old wakes up around 5:30-6:00 am, I like to do weight training then, I have a set of 5's and 3's...need to get aset of 8's and 10's but i liek to do that in the morning, than have a light snack/breakie usually a coffee or tea with some fruit, if i am toos ore to do the weights, i just do 15 mins of cardio while the little one is stretching or having tummy time. I have a wide variety or DVD's that i rotate from. My girls all nap in mid day..well 80% of the time, i i was not able to do a workout in the AM then i do a large one, usually a 30-45 min, cardio witha 15-20 min strength training...if i was not able to do than at noon then its after the girls go to bed, they go to bed by 7:00-7:30. It takes havign a routine, and a schedule or makign a schedule for yourself...Keep at it and don't give up.
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    I find it very hard sometimes to balance it all. I know there are areas that suffer. I have no children and just my husband ( poor thing has to deal with my crazy fitness regime) and i work full time. I leave the house at 7am for work and most nights dont get home till almost 8pm due to workouts , cardio and zumba classes. Alot of nights my husband makes his own thing for dinner. I cant imagine trying to accomplish my goals with children...i have so much respect for those of you who do and still find time to make the effort!!
  • Lynn_is_happy
    Lynn_is_happy Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Thank you and your all amazing taking time out to help me. I think you all have such wonderful ideas and I will try my best to fit it in early in the am so I can do my school work when the kids are in school and then run around with their activities. I think If I wait, I will get tired and the motivation will be zilch. Thanks again for all the great ideas and inspiration.

Lynn
  • Lynn_is_happy
    Options
    glad you have all that support, a jog in the park or a walk around the lake might be relaxing after all the stress of class. I usually feel better after my workout. thanks
  • Lynn_is_happy
    Options
    I have 2 kids, my husband works morning and I m also a college student. I usually take a jog in the park after class. I do my toning while my kids do homework, And they eat whatever I eat. It's not easy, especially when I have to study, but they are all pretty supportive.

glad you have all that support, a jog in the park or a walk around the lake might be relaxing after all the stress of class. I usually feel better after my workout. thanks
  • Lynn_is_happy
    Options
    I too have 3 kids (only the 12 & 14 year old are still at home). I work out after dinner. Too lazy to get up early and do it in the morning. Since my kids are old enough to be by themselves, I ask them if they want to go to the gym with me or stay at home. I think you have to make an effort to make it work. I can always find something else I "could" be doing, but it either has to be done before or after I exercise. Hope that helps.

It does help and your right I need to find the time to do it and everything else can just wait. Thanks.
  • Lynn_is_happy
    Options
    Hi

Its not always easy but I find breaking it down helps. Based on the eat less move more principle. so first do your numbers and work out your calorie target with a deficit appropriate to your goals. Try to stick to net calories and make gradual improvements toward healthy foods. Move more - I am attacking on two fronts - general activity e.g. walking , stairs etc (I am using a fitbit) and setting myself monthly challenges to be more active. It is also worth just trying to do more active things with friends and family e.g. 10 pin bowling or a salsa class rather than a movie or go somewhere that you can walk to and from. Then exercise I find it can be hard to fit in so I tell myself must do a minimum of 3 workouts per week. I almost always do monday morning early I then feel it starts the week off well. I usually do one weekday evening after work and one day at the weekend. I try to make it a minimum. If I am really pushed for time I will do 5 minute block workouts at home or in my office e.g. body weight squats / counter pushups running on the spot or wiifit. Good luck with all your efforts. It is worth trying some things and see what works and every small change is a small step in the right direction.

I like your approach to set up a plan to a least do so many days and make sure I accomplish that. I like the Monday morning, setting your week off right. I will try that. Thanks.
  • Lynn_is_happy
    Options
    I feel you, I have 3 children, 3 and a half years, 2 years and 2 months and a 3 motnh old...BUSY, my husband drives Tanker Truck, he is home every night but most nights late, I am a stay at home mom, just trying to loose the baby weight, get to a comfortable, helathy size. I struggle most weeks trying to stay motivated, and stay on tracks with my goals as my life too is hectic, not much time between 3 little ones to work out much...I lately have started printing out my weekly to do lists, daily meals and work out schedule, i find it has been the only way i can organize those things, otherwise its all chaos and i never know what to do when. My 3 month old wakes up around 5:30-6:00 am, I like to do weight training then, I have a set of 5's and 3's...need to get aset of 8's and 10's but i liek to do that in the morning, than have a light snack/breakie usually a coffee or tea with some fruit, if i am toos ore to do the weights, i just do 15 mins of cardio while the little one is stretching or having tummy time. I have a wide variety or DVD's that i rotate from. My girls all nap in mid day..well 80% of the time, i i was not able to do a workout in the AM then i do a large one, usually a 30-45 min, cardio witha 15-20 min strength training...if i was not able to do than at noon then its after the girls go to bed, they go to bed by 7:00-7:30. It takes havign a routine, and a schedule or makign a schedule for yourself...Keep at it and don't give up.

Yes indeed your busy! I admire your motivation. I had 3 little ones close in age and while they are in school I am in school, my class work takes hours since I am studying Interior Design so I have to fit in my workouts. I like how you fit yours in between what the kids need and it gets done. I like the schedule and I think that will help me too. Thanks.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I wake up a half hour early and go to the gym 30 min per day M-F.
  • Lynn_is_happy
    Options
    I find it very hard sometimes to balance it all. I know there are areas that suffer. I have no children and just my husband ( poor thing has to deal with my crazy fitness regime) and i work full time. I leave the house at 7am for work and most nights dont get home till almost 8pm due to workouts , cardio and zumba classes. Alot of nights my husband makes his own thing for dinner. I cant imagine trying to accomplish my goals with children...i have so much respect for those of you who do and still find time to make the effort!!

I think we are all crazy busy with life and it doesn't matter, it is just another job! So it is good to hear how you juggle your life too. Do you find that it is easier to exercise after work easier then getting up earlier? just curious? Thanks for the support.
  • Lynn_is_happy
    Options
    I wake up a half hour early and go to the gym 30 min per day M-F.

I think that is what I am going to do since I have the treadmill in my house. It is just waking up when it is so dark outside will be another challenge. Thanks.
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it takes a little imagination. You might be surprised at how you can work in little rounds of exercise throughout the day. Take every opportunity to turn a mundane task into an exercise.
  • dcdemocrat34
    Options
    Getting up early is the only way I have been able to try and stay on track. I have to be at work by 7, so I get up at 430, and get to the gym MWF. Tuesday and Thursday I try and get my cardio in, but its tough after work for me!
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I woke up and commuted for an hour. Took a chemistry exam. Worked an eight hour day. Commuted home. Had family dinner. Washed the kids, and then tag-teamed Jammie Time with mom. While she rocked the littlest one, I went for a 2.5 mile run. When I got back I did high intensity interval training in the kitchen listening to the monitor while she went to the grocery store. When she got back I started my marketing exam.

I am proud as hell of what I accomplished yesterday even though it sucked. So, find a way to make it all fit like puzzle pieces. Most of weight loss is controlling your diet. Work exercise in over time.
  • superdeedooper
    superdeedooper Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it takes a little imagination. You might be surprised at how you can work in little rounds of exercise throughout the day. Take every opportunity to turn a mundane task into an exercise.

I totally agree since every mundane task in itself burns calories.... even typing. :happy:
  • Tsmartin07
    Options
    Get up early...the early bird gets the worm :) I just tell myself to get out the bed and at least walk on the treadmill. Once I get started I cant stop :) Im a full-time worker and I have 2 kids, 3years old and 1 year old.
  • ljsayad
    Options
    I am 55 years old with a slow metabolism and work full time self employed with my husband and travel a lot for business. I try to combine activities whenever I can such as reading or studying while on the stationary bike or while my husband drives the car. If I swim before work, I get up way early. I feed my husband the same food as I eat, only in different proportions. I exercise when I can but if I stay on 1000 calories a day, I lose weight without exercise. Baked sweet potatoes with black pepper are very satisfying and take almost no time. Babybell light cheese is 50 calories and quick. Spaghetti squash is very easy and fast to bake and very versatile. Coconut water is great for extra electrolytes and satisfying cold. If I have done well I reward myself with 3 - 4 ounces of cold wine at dinner and a hershey kiss or two (only 22 calories). Breakfast is easiest with a granola cereal and 1/2 grapefruit. I dry my own fruit and take it to work in baggies. I can make dry fruit last the greater part of the day and as I cut it up for drying, I count the average pieces in one fruit for later portion control. When my husband and I go out to eat especially with weeks of travel at a time we always split one restaurant meal to keep the calories down. Logging in my food before I eat it always helps me pre-estimate the calories.