Sagging skin

Options
I'm 57 years old and dropped 40 pounds so far. I've noticed that my skin is sagging where it used to be plumped up with fat. I noticed it especially on my arms and chin and boobs.

What can be done to tighten up loose skin? I know I can lift weights but how about something specific for skin?

Thanks!

Sagging in Venice Beach FL

Replies

• gerripho
    gerripho Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I've seen this topic before and the general consensus has always been that you can't do much about sagging skin. If it helps at all, this is a you and me both problem. I've got the tummy flap problem and just know that the more I lose the worse it will get.
  • sylviatx
    sylviatx Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Well, I will be watching this thread to see if any good advice pops up as I'm in the same boat.
  • SinCity2003
    SinCity2003 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Plastic surgery? Not trying to be flip, but you said something other than lifting weights....
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    The only thing you can do is hydrate, inside and out. Moisturize and drinks LOTS of water. Tone by strength training. .....and PRAY.

I've researched this a lot and it seems to be a very person specific issue. Some people's skin pulls tight again and some don't....
  • bodiva88
    bodiva88 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    There's not a lot you can do. Yes stay hydrated. Yes be toned. But you (and I) are old enough our skin is less elastic.

I know someone who lost 111 pounds and yes she looks older with sagging skin, but she looks and feels so much stronger and healthier. It's not a bad tradeoff in the long run.
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I lost 90 pounds and was plagued with loose skin for awhile. That's one of the reasons I started focusing on nutrition so intently. My skin and hair suffered horribly for awhile there. My doctor recommended increasing mono/poly-unsaturated fats (raw unsalted nuts, ground flax and chia seeds, avocados, olive oil, etc) boosting omega-3 fatty acids, bioflavanoids/polyphenols/catechins (antioxidants in general) and adding biotin supplement, amongst other things. She said it can take about a year to rebuild your skin on the cellular level. That was a couple of years ago and now I have lovely healthy skin that's fitting nicely everywhere again.
  • joslin2005
    Options
    One thing that will help is to go to the health store and buy a bottle of Vitamin E oil or almond oil (Appr $8). Or you can use coconut oil from the grocery store. Buy the pure stuff not synthentic crap from Wal-Mart. Apply a oil to the areas that need some help with the elasticity. Do this 2X a day. Make sure your staying hydrated and taking a good multi-vitamin and omega 3/6/9 supplement. This is not a miracle fix but this will help. I used almond oil on my skin during pregnancy to help with elasticity and stretch marks. Also, exfoliating with a dry brush helps. (aka dry brushing)