burning up front of shins - advice!

Options
I used to walk marathons a few years ago so I am an experienced power-walker but i have never been able to figure out a stretch for up the front of my shins, this area burns like hell when I walk...I can usually walk it out but this morning it was so bad I thought i had better stop!!!
I am only training cardio EOD and do strength training on the other days. I have fractured both my shins a few years ago (why I stopped walking lol!) and also have problems with my hips, Bursitis and Osteoporosis so walking is the best option for me really.

SO any advice on this tricky area, I can do the usual stretches on this area but how can I ease the burning and enable me to walk for longer...hips permitting!!!
x

Replies

• Nicmc8
    Nicmc8 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Hi there! When I started running last spring I got shin splints pretty bad. I found a stretch that worked for me. Sit on your knees and lean back. Of course it also stretched my quad, but I could definitely feel my problem area stretching too. You may want to look on youtube for stretches and advice.... it is always easier when you can see someone demo the stretch:) I also found a product called "biofreeze" it is this amazing gel that you rub into your trouble area. Hope this helps!
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    Have you ever had your Vitamin D level checked? I was having lots of pains with exercise and my doctor checked mine. I was very low. She put me on Vit D therapy for a month and my pains went away. I have always been a milk drinker so this was surprising to me. Now she has me on a calcium supplement with Vit D in it and I can exercise without pain.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I found a stretch that works for me...lie on your back and lift one leg straight up, like a regular hamstring stretch, then flex the foot for a calf stretch and then point it for a shin stretch.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Yoga helped me tremendously with shin splints. I'd look for yoga moves to help stretch. If you are a part of a gym, ask a trainer for a couple stretches that will help as well. Make sure you are giving each stretch the appropriate amount of time as well. I hold my stretches for minutes at the time, really sinking into them. I notice a lot of people only stretch for 20 seconds or so, and I can relate - I use to be impatient too. The longer stretches work for me.
  • SASSYJAX
    SASSYJAX Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    thanks guys I will try them now!
    x
  • sphinctress
    sphinctress Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Whether I am sore or not, I like to take a rolling pin and roll up and down the front of the muscle just outside of my shin bone... I've found that rolling them even if they are not sore helps prevent the bad shin splints I used to get and helps with the ones I do get.

Also, if it's new, you may have some tracking issues in your knee or hip/pelvis or your feet that have changed the dynamic that your body is used to. You might want to get that checked if this is a new problem.

: )
  • slm638
    slm638 Posts: 64
    Options
    I found my shin splints disappeared after I stretched out my calves, specifically the soleus (lower part closer to the ankle rather then the meatier full calf muscle) part, better. Doing a standing calf stretch against a wall, if you bend your back leg you are stretching at the knee, you'll feel the soleus stretching. By stretching the full calf muscles out after warm-up and before running, I got rid of my shin splints.
  • pressica
    pressica Posts: 361
    Options
    Wow, sounds like you have no fun with all of those combined issues. Another suggestion would be to check out the quality of the shoes that you are exercising in. Sometimes shin splints can be solved by wearing shoes that are the correct size and are not worn out. I would probably suggest going to a shoe store that analyzes all of that to ensure that they are still working for you. Good luck!
  • mrayniak
    Options
    standing up and down on your tippy toes helps with the front of your shins
  • SASSYJAX
    SASSYJAX Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    PS - dont have shin splints...burning muscles - is that shin splits?! Thats worrying as I fractured both a few years ago - I was at the end of a 45 mile walk and jumped over a ditch, downwards onto concrete path and OUCH! ambulance time - was not good!

A result of over training and poor nutrition etc....
    ( I was doing this everyday!)
  • slm638
    slm638 Posts: 64
    Options
    It does sound like shin splints, but the muscle pain can also cover up exactly what you're talking about. Tiny fractures in your shin bones. I'd check it out with your doctor especially since you've injured the area previously. You may be aggravating your previous injury that perhaps didn't heal properly or maybe you're more prone now?